Drive by shoutings and snappy comebacks.

went for a long ride today, 14.3 miles in total thats long for me right now.

got honked at twice, numores dogs barked at me and someone said somthing i could not understand... oh well.

Yeah, I don't know. I grew up in an area where people did this as a normal practice so I am pretty use to it. You did not have to be on a bike to get somebody saying some kind of nonsense to you. It is not even worth it to respond. It's like they have tourettes. A nervous system disorder involving repetitive movements or unwanted sounds.

I just smile and wave at them, especially pleasing when they've hurled lots of abuse my way. It's quite funny when they do that
in heavy traffic and you catch up with them at traffic lights. No matter how long you try to eyeball them they always avoid eye contact
and look straight ahead. Makes me laugh, as I know they feel truly embarrassed :D .

Blowing a kiss to them really winds 'em up too. ;)

Zerosven said:
went for a long ride today, 14.3 miles in total thats long for me right now.

got honked at twice, numores dogs barked at me and someone said somthing i could not understand... oh well.
That's a lot of annoyance for 14.3 miles. You live in Australia, or Dogpatch, maybe? I'll be praying for your safety and sanity.

This has happened to me so many times, that I just stopped caring to be honest. I know that this is wrong, but it is a quite difficult thing to do, trying to explain that to an angry driver will just not work, so I pretend I don't listen to their shoutings and stuff and move on.

I'm surprised at the many negative comments I have read on various forums. The only shouts I/we have gotten are encouragement from drivers. IF we are climbing on the tandem, many female drivers will slow and shout," you guys are doing great!". On my single bike, I have had men and women give the "YEAH" shout!

I had a hotdog throw at me today, got mustard and onions on my gloves. I love riding on the road, so many nice people.

Drive by shoutings is the norm. You just gotta expect them ever so often. My comebacks can be a real piercing, so I would rather not say them on this forum. It's not easy to say thank you and have a good day to a drive by shouter... But hey! Life goes on.

oldbobcat said:
I don't do snappy comebacks. It only encourages them.
I have to agree with this but it depends on the areas you're in when.

For instance in my youth I made the mistake of replying back to when a group of chavs said that my bike looked gay. I replied that his tracksuit looked kinda gay and that gave them the ammunition to try and start a fight. Luckily they couldn't keep up and gave up after a little while.

I had an incident with some turd in a car today.
I was riding up a hill and he drove across the road into a driveway on my side.

He said "you were riding at 2 miles per hour" and I retorted "Your brain is going at 2 miles an hour"!!

I usually just ignore stuff like this. When people do that they're looking for a reaction so by ignoring them I feel like I'm spoiling their fun more than if I tried to shout back. The rare occasion that I try to make a comeback anyway they're either miles down the road or I'm drowned out by the traffic noise.