Drive Chain

Fsicx

Apr 20, 2010
hey guys...im new here

i have a question regarding drive chains...i dont know how to clean them..any help?

Lots of other threads on this topic. But here's my take:

If really gritty and must be cleaned on bike, use old toothbrush and soapy water, followed by multiple passes with cloth and White Lightning while spinning crank on stand. I would do this over a big piece of cardboard laid on floor to catch the mess.

If you can remove chain (easy to do if chain installed with a SRAM or Connex link) then put in screw-top plastic jar with degreaser and shake vigorously. Then rinse in clean water, towel off and hang to dry, reinstall, and lube with your choice of lubricants. I prefer White Lightning Clean Ride, which doesn't pick up much grit.

If not very dirty, simply apply White Lightning while spinning crank on stand, wiping off excess with cloth at same time. Repeat several times. Chain will sparkle.

You could buy one of those chain cleaner:

park%20chain%20cleaner.jpeg

chain-cleaner.jpg

about $35... i never used one personally but am very interested.. as it seems to hold most of the mess.

Bastiani said:
You could buy one of those chain cleaner...about $35... i never used one personally but am very interested.. as it seems to hold most of the mess.

You can have mine for free. Piece of junk. Sponge pads crush & disintegrate, and the brushes don't do anything you can't do with a toothbrush. Doesn't contain the mess very well either.

thanks guys...but the problem is i live in Iran and unfortunately here we dont have those chain cleaners and i really think that idea with "soap & water" will for me well...and LUBRICANTS are really expensive in here...also the degreasers

1)so i was wondering if i could just use one of those degreasers that car mechanics use or i should get that White Lightening(if i can find it here) only.

2)also any idea on a substitute for bike-specific lubricants?

I have already watched a couple of youtube vids on this but finding that stuff is hard in here...so you know

A mild automotive degreaser is OK, but it would probably be better to go with soap and water. Any light oil or good grade of dry lubricant is good for lubricating your chain. If possible, it is best to get one of the bicycle chain specific lubricants though. Just make sure that you wipe the chain thoroughly after lubricating it. You want the lube to get in the chain around the bushings and pins, but you don't want it on the outside of the chains where it will collect dust and dirt.

For 30 years I have just cleaned the chain with white spirit and then used car engine oil with with a good splash of silicon oil mixed in. It needs to be done regularly though.

roadietoo said:
For 30 years I have just cleaned the chain with white spirit and then used car engine oil with with a good splash of silicon oil mixed in. It needs to be done regularly though.

kdelong said:
A mild automotive degreaser is OK, but it would probably be better to go with soap and water. Any light oil or good grade of dry lubricant is good for lubricating your chain. If possible, it is best to get one of the bicycle chain specific lubricants though. Just make sure that you wipe the chain thoroughly after lubricating it. You want the lube to get in the chain around the bushings and pins, but you don't want it on the outside of the chains where it will collect dust and dirt.

thanks to both of you..i ll see what i ca do tmw

thanks again..appreciate it