Drive side crank arm goes farther onto taper than other arm

Robert Canon

Guest
I have a drive side crank arm that goes farther onto either crank axle taper
than the non-drive side. Is it wallowed out and consequently ruined? I'm
assuming that the taper is the same for both arms and both ends of the axle;
is that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:40:48 GMT, "Robert Canon"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>I have a drive side crank arm that goes farther onto either crank axle taper
>than the non-drive side. Is it wallowed out and consequently ruined? I'm
>assuming that the taper is the same for both arms and both ends of the axle;
>is that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

If the chainline is right, the sprockets don't hit the stays, and the
crank isn't coming loose on the BB shaft when properly tightened, then
don't worry about the visual assymetry. Right and left cranks are not
identical to begin with.

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:40:48 GMT, "Robert Canon"
> <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >I have a drive side crank arm that goes farther onto either crank axle taper
> >than the non-drive side. Is it wallowed out and consequently ruined? I'm
> >assuming that the taper is the same for both arms and both ends of the axle;
> >is that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

> If the chainline is right, the sprockets don't hit the stays, and the
> crank isn't coming loose on the BB shaft when properly tightened, then
> don't worry about the visual assymetry. Right and left cranks are not
> identical to begin with.

Unless the crank arm is going onto the shaft so far that the bolt wont
hold it tight I wouln't worry too much. You can do a temporary fix if
this is the case by wrapping some aluminium foil around the square of
the crank and then fitting the arm over this. This will pack the crank
arm further out on the shaft and will fill the 'wallowed' out part of
the crank arm. Must emphasise that this is a temporary fix only but if
every thing is kept tight it will last for quite some time.

Robert Canon writes:

> I have a right crank that goes farther onto either end of the
> spindle than the left crank. Is it wallowed out and consequently
> ruined? I'm assuming that the taper is the same for both sides; is
> that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

Unless the crank has cracks in the corners of the square, the crank
bore is not stretched. For depth of engagement, the best assessment
can be made by tightening the crank properly, removing the crank bolt
and measuring the depth to the end of the spindle. Viewing it from
outside doesn't give a clear picture.

Do you know the history of these cranks? Are they from the same set
and who used them in the past? If the crank remains secure in use,
then I think you have your answer. You might find something
applicable in the FAQ:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]