Drive side crank arm goes farther onto taper than other arm

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Canon, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest

    I have a drive side crank arm that goes farther onto either crank axle taper
    than the non-drive side. Is it wallowed out and consequently ruined? I'm
    assuming that the taper is the same for both arms and both ends of the axle;
    is that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:40:48 GMT, "Robert Canon"
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >I have a drive side crank arm that goes farther onto either crank axle taper
    >than the non-drive side. Is it wallowed out and consequently ruined? I'm
    >assuming that the taper is the same for both arms and both ends of the axle;
    >is that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

    If the chainline is right, the sprockets don't hit the stays, and the
    crank isn't coming loose on the BB shaft when properly tightened, then
    don't worry about the visual assymetry. Right and left cranks are not
    identical to begin with.

  3. McLeody

    McLeody Guest

    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:40:48 GMT, "Robert Canon"
    > <[email protected]> may have said:
    >
    > >I have a drive side crank arm that goes farther onto either crank axle taper
    > >than the non-drive side. Is it wallowed out and consequently ruined? I'm
    > >assuming that the taper is the same for both arms and both ends of the axle;
    > >is that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

    > If the chainline is right, the sprockets don't hit the stays, and the
    > crank isn't coming loose on the BB shaft when properly tightened, then
    > don't worry about the visual assymetry. Right and left cranks are not
    > identical to begin with.

    Unless the crank arm is going onto the shaft so far that the bolt wont
    hold it tight I wouln't worry too much. You can do a temporary fix if
    this is the case by wrapping some aluminium foil around the square of
    the crank and then fitting the arm over this. This will pack the crank
    arm further out on the shaft and will fill the 'wallowed' out part of
    the crank arm. Must emphasise that this is a temporary fix only but if
    every thing is kept tight it will last for quite some time.

  4. Robert Canon writes:

    > I have a right crank that goes farther onto either end of the
    > spindle than the left crank. Is it wallowed out and consequently
    > ruined? I'm assuming that the taper is the same for both sides; is
    > that correct? (I realize that some have asymmetrical overhangs.)

    Unless the crank has cracks in the corners of the square, the crank
    bore is not stretched. For depth of engagement, the best assessment
    can be made by tightening the crank properly, removing the crank bolt
    and measuring the depth to the end of the spindle. Viewing it from
    outside doesn't give a clear picture.

    Do you know the history of these cranks? Are they from the same set
    and who used them in the past? If the crank remains secure in use,
    then I think you have your answer. You might find something
    applicable in the FAQ:

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.11.html

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]