Driver attitudes to helmets

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Burton, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.

    Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most of
    us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    wearing a helmet"

    Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:

    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    > wearing a helmet"

    If the account of the incident was correct, the driver is being an a**e. The lack of headgear does
    not cause accidents.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.

  3. Richard Burton wrote:
    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    > wearing a helmet"
    >
    > Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    > the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    A response of that nature could be expected here, where helmet wearing is compulsory. It is
    disturbing in your situation.

    Alan.

  4. "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if
    I'd
    > knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not wearing
    > helmet"
    >
    > Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    > the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    No, this woman is not uniquely stupid and this was not a unique incident. The incident only shows
    how truly wonderful cycling helmets can be. They have considerably more capabilities than mere head
    protection for the rider. For instance, it's a widely known fact that they emit subliminal signals
    that enable drivers to identify cyclists when they're not looking out for them. Their cunning design
    enhances the aural acuity of the wearer, enabling him or her to detect errant motorists from a
    greater distance. The helmet wearing cyclist suddenly acquires considerably improved bike handling
    skills and is able to jump the bike over cars, buses and HGVs with consummate ease.

    Richard, of course it would have been the cyclist's fault. How could you ever have thought
    otherwise?
    ___
    Michael MacClancy

    PS Bigger helmets make for better lovers!

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if
    I'd
    > knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not wearing
    > helmet"
    >
    > Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    > the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    Sadly, the driver is not uniquely stupid. I am sure other drivers are at least equally stupid.

    Her claim that it is your fault because you were not wearing a helmet is bollox[tm]. However, that
    has not stopped various insurance companies claiming that cyclists not wearing helmets are guilty
    of contributory negligence and hence sought to reduce the compensation that they are paid in the
    event of an accident. The weasels have even tried to claim such negligence when no head injuries
    have been involved.

    The CTC have, I believe, contested this vigorously and (as I understand it) the current legal
    situation is that non wearing of a helmet is not considered contributory negligence.

    However, that is unlikely to prevent the slim-balls from attempting to slither out of their
    responsibilities again in the future.

    As for your particular stupid bitch -- sounds like standard defence mechanism bollox[tm].

    If she is crushed by a juggernaut will she accept its her fault because she has a brake light out or
    was doing 32 mph or some other 'technical' infringement.

  6. The driver is an ar*ehole.

    Cheers, helen s

  7. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:

    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    > wearing a helmet"
    >
    > Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    > the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    It has happened to me when a car pulled out of a side road and I had to slam on the brakes. When I
    suggested various options for a change of lifestyle for the driver, he told me it was my fault for
    not wearing a helmet.

    It is a growing trend for drivers to think they can do whatever they want and that if they cause a
    crash it is never their fault. Everyone else is wrong, and the fact that you were a) a cyclist and
    b) not wearing a helmet, makes you totally irresponsible and wholly to blame for anything the
    driver might do.

    It is a very dangerous and worrying trend - arguably one of the greatest threats to cycling as a
    pastime, as insurance companies are now jumping on the same bandwagon.

    I won't stop, even if helmets were made compulsory. They would then find something else to avoid
    taking responsibility for their own actions - skinny tyres, clipped pedals, no body armour...

    John B

  8. Seek the useless cretinous moron out, shoot her and burn the body. Then explain to the Counsel for
    the Prosecution that it was her fault because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt / helmet / Gaythorne and
    Hollins Advanced Leather Truss. Gagh!

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    > wearing a helmet"

    I suspect this is one of those scenarios where someone knows they are so obviously wrong but are too
    arrogant to admit it that they grasp for the nearest defence to hand. Unfortunately, the nearest
    defence is not always the most logical.

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  10. "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]blueyonder.co.uk...

    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    > wearing a helmet".....

    I would have asked her why *she* was not wearing a h****t considering head injury is quite common in
    motoring accidents.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:

    > Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    > the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    Don't read too much into it. Most drivers, indeed most people, are reluctant to admit something was
    their fault. The helmet was just the convenient rationalisation to hand. I doubt very much that the
    driver believed it any more than other drivers really believed that the tree or lamp post hit their
    car. Its just easier to rationlise the accident in that way rather than admit they drove their car
    into the tree or lamp post.

    Tony

  12. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if
    I'd
    > knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not wearing
    > helmet"

    I'll have to remember that one. If I crash into a car whilst driving and the other guy is
    injured, it's their fault if the car is not fitted with an airbag.

    Simon

  13. JohnB <[email protected]> writes:

    >Richard Burton wrote:

    >> Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    >> enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >>
    >> Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    >> of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    >> response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    >> wearing a helmet"
    >>
    >> Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    >> the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    >It has happened to me when a car pulled out of a side road and I had to slam on the brakes. When I
    >suggested various options for a change of lifestyle for the driver, he told me it was my fault for
    >not wearing a helmet.

    >It is a growing trend for drivers to think they can do whatever they want and that if they cause a
    >crash it is never their fault.

    Reminds me of the time a car pulled into a roundabout in front of me, causing me to brake my
    motorcycle very hard and just manage to stop before hitting the passenger side door. The roads were
    otherwise deserted, so waiting for me to pass -- and I did have right of way -- would have held up
    the car a few seconds. It was midday in the summer, and the car's side windows were open.

    The passenger was so scared she emitted a small shriek as my tyres squealed and I appeared to be
    going to dive into her window. I ended up so close I could clearly hear the driver's reply, which
    was, "Don't worry, this is a Volvo."

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's
    Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  14. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:09:23 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be [email protected] (Chris Malcolm)
    wrote this:-

    >The passenger was so scared she emitted a small shriek as my tyres squealed and I appeared to be
    >going to dive into her window. I ended up so close I could clearly hear the driver's reply, which
    >was, "Don't worry, this is a Volvo."

    I do recall a lorry driver who had that attitude. This changed after an encounter between his lorry
    and a train in the docks.

  15. Richard Burton wrote:

    > Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    > enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    > Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most
    > of us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    > response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    > wearing a helmet"
    >
    > Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    > the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    Drivers would like us all to wear helmets because subliminally it makes them feel better about
    mixing with us in traffic. The fact that some of us would give up cycling if they were made
    compulsory is an added bonus ;-)

    On this subject, it was so warm tonight that I rode home in shorts and with nothing at all on my
    head (I usually have a beanie or a cap in winter). It was nice to feel the breeze, and reminded me
    why I really don't like helmets. I wore mine on Saturday at Calshot velodrome and realised I hadn't
    taken it out of the cupboard since the last time I went on the track, which was August 2002.
    Strangely, when I rode at Calshot as a schoolkid we didn't have to wear any protective gear, and
    no-one died (one kid broke his arm, but that's neither here nor there).

  16. On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:06:51 -0000, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just had reported to me last night an incident that I consider so disturbing, I felt I should
    >enquire whether this was a single incident or part of a trend.
    >
    >Car overtakes cyclist, and immediately turns left, not the disturbing bit, it's happened to most of
    >us, but the next bit is. The cyclist caught up with the driver, and remonstrated with her: her
    >response being "well if I'd knocked you off, it would have been your fault because you're not
    >wearing a helmet"
    >
    >Please confirm that this woman is uniquely stupid, and that this was a unique incident, otherwise
    >the ramifications are too awful to contemplate.

    It wasn't Helen or Ian behind the wheel was it:)?

  17. Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > I would have asked her why *she* was not wearing a h****t considering head injury is quite common
    > in motoring accidents.

    I would have run my cleats down the bodywork ;-)

  18. vuelta wrote:

    > A lot of people (non speed cyclists) presume you are a reckless cyclist when wearing a helmet. So
    > in Holland you're guilty in public opinion when you DO wear a helmet.

    I knew someone whose father wouldn't let him have a bike with drop handlebars for the same reason.
    This was in the days before MTBs, so he ended up with an zero street cred Raleigh Twenty. Needless
    to say, he never rode it.

  19. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:

    > It wasn't Helen or Ian behind the wheel was it:)?

    I think you really ought to withdraw that, smiley or no.

    --
    Guy http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk "Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter
    educatus et nimis propinquus ades"

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > I would have run my cleats down the bodywork ;-)

    After all, it would have been her fault for not wearing a helmet.