Driver fined for killing cyclist.

"Gary Sinnott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> No relation? Explain...? (Maybe I wandered into a thread on which QR kit to buy or something?)
>
> I see a paltry fine is levied in two different cases and nobody seems to give a rat's about those
> left behind. (No offence intended and I'm not getting into anything deeper or more complex - I'm
> sticking to this issue.) Quite a few of us go off full tilt about how shamefull it is that the law
> didn't take the driver/whatever out and hang the sod, mostly justified but that's about it.
>
> The family of the *victim* tend to be left with nothing but memories of the deceased and seeing a
> driver losing about a week's pay. Is life that cheap? Granted, £££ won't bring the person back -
> but there are still bills to pay, even if the victim had mortgage insurance, etc. I wouldn't like
> to be the one to say, "Sorry missus, your husband's dead - killed by a **** on a bike. Said he
> didn't see him. Ta-ta." - But that's how it seems to end up in essence.
>
> I don't care if it's a tank driving over the front of a PSV, the **** in the Renault smearing a
> cyclist or a rickety old cycle flattening a pedestrian (or *any* other combination you might think
> of!) The question is still valid in this thread.
>
> If motor insurance or criminal injuries payments would (partially?) cover damages, then what level
> of financial protection does the family of the average-bloke-on-foot have against someone who is
> just as dangerous on a bike? What level of protection has anyone in this kind of situation?

Going back to the original case, there are two separate issues here:-

1. Legal sanctions against a person who caused a death by negligence.

2. 'Compensation' of the victim's family.

They are separate. The first is a function of the Criminal Law. As such, it it not interested in the
victim except in that there was one and for the evidence that he can provide. By fining the woman a
few pence, putting 6 points on her licence and telling her not to do it again the legal system is,
in effect, accepting that it was 'a tragic accident' despite the evidence that she simply failed to
be arsed to look to see if she was about to run someone down.

The second is separate. The victim's family can now claim for 'compensation' against the woman --
this would usually be covered by her insurance but, in principle, the claim is against the
criminal herself.

If the criminal is unable (through lack of insurance or of assets -- or because they are unknown
(which is clearly not the case here but is in a hit & run incident)) there are various schemes to
provide some compensation -- either as a government based scheme or as an insurance industry
'responsibility sharing' one.

If the criminal's weapon of choice is a motor vehicle then at least the victim has the 'comfort' of
knowing that an insurance company is involved or that a criminal offence (triggering criminal injury
compensation) has been committed (driving without insurance).

In principle a cyclist running down a crumbly pedestrian would be in exactly the same. The victim
claims civil damages against the cyclist who pays up through his 'assets' -- typically through third
party liability insurance held somewhere or somehow (e.g. household, cycling, CTC membership etc.)

The crux of the problem is -- is it necessary to have a criminal offence to trigger the compensation
schemes of victims of uninsured 'assailants'? If it is then the victim might need a criminal
conviction to get anything if the cyclist is both uninsured and poor.

Moral -- get hit by a rich ******* with loadsa insurance.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:51:25 +0000 (UTC), Gary Sinnott <[email protected]> wrote:

>The family of the *victim* tend to be left with nothing but memories of the deceased and seeing a
>driver losing about a week's pay. Is life that cheap? Granted, £££ won't bring the person back -
>but there are still bills to pay, even if the victim had mortgage insurance, etc.

Please try to understand the difference between fines and compensation. The fine doesn't pay
the bills.

> >> Not fines - that's wholly down to the SMIDSY (of whatever type) in the dock - I meant damages.
> >> Can't the family of the deceased make a claim there??
> >
> >Which has no relation to the subjct under discussion
>
> No relation? Explain...? (Maybe I wandered into a thread on which QR kit to buy or something?)

Fines and costs of criminal court cases have nothing to do with compensation. The discussion was
about the level of fines and costs, not compensation and damages.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

Steve wrote:

> Gary Sinnott wrote in message ...
> > I see a paltry fine is levied in two different cases and nobody seems to give a rat's about
> > those left behind.
>
> The biggest problem with this thread is that no-one knows exactly how the collision happened and
> they *seem* to be apportioning all the blame to the driver.
>
> For all we know the officer may well have been cycling without due care, possibly undertaking a
> lorry or something where he was invisible to the motorist.....

Quote from report: "Magistrates heard that the police officer's cycle would have been in the sight
line of the car driver when she began to make the turn and he was wearing high visibility clothing,
including a bright yellow top"

Inverness is thataway > > > > > > > > > > >

John B

JohnB wrote in message ...
> "Magistrates heard that the police officer's cycle would have been in the sight line of the car
> driver when she began to make the turn and he was wearing high visibility clothing, including a
> bright yellow top"

*Experts* always make statements like that to defend their *own*. Again just speculating, (so it's
not all one-sided) it's possible that the driver didn't see the bike as she started to make the
turn, then suddenly stopped when she did see him and the cyclist ploughed into the car. It often
happens that way with motorcycle accidents ... if the driver keeps moving there's no problem, but if
the car then suddenly stops it's just too late to avoid the impact. Pure speculation, I know, but
possibly a reason why her punishment wasn't more severe.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:03:53 +0100, John's Cat <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:51:25 +0000 (UTC), Gary Sinnott <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>The family of the *victim* tend to be left with nothing but memories of the deceased and seeing a
>>driver losing about a week's pay. Is life that cheap? Granted, £££ won't bring the person back -
>>but there are still bills to pay, even if the victim had mortgage insurance, etc.
>
>Please try to understand the difference between fines and compensation. The fine doesn't pay
>the bills.

Which is why I'm asking about insurance and have been over a couple of posts in this thread. Duh.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> JohnB wrote in message ...
> > "Magistrates heard that the police officer's cycle would have been in the sight line of the car
> > driver when she began to make the turn and he was wearing high visibility clothing, including a
> > bright yellow top"
>
> *Experts* always make statements like that to defend their *own*. Again just speculating, (so it's
> not all one-sided) it's possible that the driver didn't see the bike as she started to make the
> turn, then suddenly stopped when she did see him and the cyclist ploughed into the car. It often
> happens that way with motorcycle accidents ... if the driver keeps moving there's no problem, but
> if the car then suddenly stops it's just too late to avoid the impact. Pure speculation, I know,
> but possibly a reason why her punishment wasn't more severe.

Groundless speculation. The defence said: "She can't explain why she didn't see the cyclist". How
does that fit into your argument?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:57:11 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

snip

>Going back to the original case, there are two separate issues here:-
>
>1. Legal sanctions against a person who caused a death by negligence.
>
>2. 'Compensation' of the victim's family.
>
>They are separate. The first is a function of the Criminal Law. As such, it it not interested in
>the victim except in that there was one and for the evidence that he can provide. By fining the
>woman a few pence, putting 6 points on her licence and telling her not to do it again the legal
>system is, in effect, accepting that it was 'a tragic accident' despite the evidence that she
>simply failed to be arsed to look to see if she was about to run someone down.
>
>The second is separate. The victim's family can now claim for 'compensation' against the woman --
>this would usually be covered by her insurance but, in principle, the claim is against the
>criminal herself.
>
>If the criminal is unable (through lack of insurance or of assets -- or because they are unknown
>(which is clearly not the case here but is in a hit & run incident)) there are various schemes to
>provide some compensation -- either as a government based scheme or as an insurance industry
>'responsibility sharing' one.
>
>If the criminal's weapon of choice is a motor vehicle then at least the victim has the 'comfort' of
>knowing that an insurance company is involved or that a criminal offence (triggering criminal
>injury compensation) has been committed (driving without insurance).
>
>In principle a cyclist running down a crumbly pedestrian would be in exactly the same. The victim
>claims civil damages against the cyclist who pays up through his 'assets' -- typically through
>third party liability insurance held somewhere or somehow (e.g. household, cycling, CTC
>membership etc.)

Which is exactly the information I wanted... thanx :)

>The crux of the problem is -- is it necessary to have a criminal offence to trigger the
>compensation schemes of victims of uninsured 'assailants'? If it is then the victim might need a
>criminal conviction to get anything if the cyclist is both uninsured and poor.

Hmm. That would be the issue then. People need to be more aware of the facts regarding the issues of
being smeared - no matter under what circumstances. If blame lies with the collider and not the
collidee (the victim) then it should be understood that a claim *will* be made.

As more people have insurance than not, this will entail hitting the Insurance company - regardless
of type (home/vehicle/boat, whatever) and in those cases where not, then a criminal case would leave
the way open to compensation via the Criminal Injuries Board. The only block on that would be the
court itself having the "It's all the dead one's fault!" attitude.

I'm not advocating any part of the blame & claim society we seem to be heading into - but this isn't
a McBurger and there is no hot coffee or apple pie involved.

I hate to hear about someone being killed out there and all we seem to discuss is what should be
done *to* the perp. What about the victim's family? They may not have expected to have to find other
means to pay bills, let alone shell out a coupla K on the funeral expenses. And that's without
considering the emotional side.

>Moral -- get hit by a rich ******* with loadsa insurance.

Just had a chat with my home insurance company - they say, in general terms and not to any
particular level, (obviously without details of any claim I couldn't get detailed info on this,) my
home cover does provide personal liability insurance if I were to run down and kill someone whilst
out cycling.

Not that I'm intending to *ever* get into that kind of situation, I feel better knowing that if it
did happen, then my insurance is there to assist the family of the person I splat.

Regards,

Gary

Simon Proven wrote in message ...
> Groundless speculation. The defence said: "She can't explain why she didn't see the cyclist". How
> does that fit into your argument?

There is no argument. *WE* don't know the facts. Maybe SHE didn't see HIM, because (speculation) he
was riding very fast and was well in the distance as she started the turn. Maybe (speculation) he
was in line with a yellow sign when she first looked and hence was *invisible*. All I'm saying is we
don't know yet WE are all blaming the motorist. As a cyclist, motorcyclist and a car driver I'm well
aware of the faults of all and I've encountered many prats in cars in my *cyclist* mode as well as
an equal number of cyclist prats in my *driver* mode, Police drivers included. Defensive
driving/riding and eye to eye contact is the answer to preventing many of these *accidents*. It is
possible that this death could have been prevented if the copper was riding defensively.

> Simon Proven wrote in message ...
> > Groundless speculation. The defence said: "She can't explain why she didn't see the cyclist".
> > How does that fit into your argument?
>
> There is no argument. *WE* don't know the facts. Maybe SHE didn't see HIM, because (speculation)
> he was riding very fast and was well in the distance as she started the turn. Maybe (speculation)
> he was in line with a yellow sign when she first looked and hence was *invisible*. All I'm saying
> is we don't know yet WE are all blaming the motorist.

I suspect that people are blaming the motorist here because the motorist was found guilty in a court
of law. This isn't speculation about the report of an accident but speculation about the court
presentation of an accident. *We* are never in possession of the full facts but in this case we do
have the benefit of a decision made in a court.

Colin

Gary Sinnott <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>The family of the *victim* tend to be left with nothing but memories of the deceased and seeing
> >>a driver losing about a week's pay. Is life that cheap? Granted, £££ won't bring the person back
> >>- but there are still bills to pay, even if the victim had mortgage insurance, etc.
> >
> >Please try to understand the difference between fines and compensation. The fine doesn't pay
> >the bills.
>
> Which is why I'm asking about insurance and have been over a couple of posts in this thread. Duh.

I apologise, I didn't realise that there was anyone stupid enough to not know the above.

> > Simon Proven wrote in message ...
> > > Groundless speculation. The defence said: "She can't explain why she didn't see the cyclist".
> > > How does that fit into your argument?
> >
> > There is no argument. *WE* don't know the facts. Maybe SHE didn't see
HIM,
> > because (speculation) he was riding very fast and was well in the
distance
> > as she started the turn. Maybe (speculation) he was in line with a
yellow
> > sign when she first looked and hence was *invisible*. All I'm saying is
we
> > don't know yet WE are all blaming the motorist.
>
> I suspect that people are blaming the motorist here because the motorist was found guilty in a
> court of law. This isn't speculation about the report of an accident but speculation about the
> court presentation of an accident. *We* are never in possession of the full facts but in this case
> we do have the benefit of a decision made in a court.

Equally we have the benefit of the decision of the court as to the appropriate punishment, in this
case all the facts being known to the court

pk

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:18:33 +0100, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

>> >Please try to understand the difference between fines and compensation. The fine doesn't pay the
>> >bills.
>>
>> Which is why I'm asking about insurance and have been over a couple of posts in this thread. Duh.
>

>I apologise, I didn't realise that there was anyone stupid enough to not know the above.

Due to 12+ years of Internet use, I seem to have developed an unhealthy distrust of any post which
appears to carry more than one meaning. Would you care to clarify the above?

Gary Sinnott <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Which is why I'm asking about insurance and have been over a couple of posts in this
> >> thread. Duh.
> >

> >I apologise, I didn't realise that there was anyone stupid enough to not know the above.
>
> Due to 12+ years of Internet use, I seem to have developed an unhealthy distrust of any post which
> appears to carry more than one meaning. Would you care to clarify the above?
No.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon Proven wrote in message ...
> > Groundless speculation. The defence said: "She can't explain why she didn't see the cyclist".
> > How does that fit into your argument?
>
> There is no argument. *WE* don't know the facts. Maybe SHE didn't see HIM, because (speculation)
> he was riding very fast and was well in the distance as she started the turn. Maybe (speculation)
> he was in line with a yellow sign when she first looked and hence was *invisible*. All I'm saying
> is we don't know yet WE are all blaming the motorist. As a cyclist, motorcyclist and a car driver
> I'm well aware of the faults of all and I've encountered many prats in cars in my *cyclist* mode
> as well as an equal number of cyclist prats in my *driver* mode, Police drivers included.
> Defensive driving/riding and eye to eye contact is the answer to preventing many of these
> *accidents*. It is possible that this death could have been
prevented
> if the copper was riding defensively.

Read and evaluate;

***Ward's Nissan Micra car, which had been coming from the opposite direction, turned directly into
the path of the bicycle. Magistrates heard that the police officer's cycle would have been within
the sight line of the car driver when she began to make the turn and he was wearing high visibility
clothing, including a bright yellow top.

Defending, Rod Evans told the court: "This is a truly tragic set of events."

He added Ward was full of remorse over the accident adding: "She had slowed down and indicated. She
didn't see him. She cannot explain why she didn't see him."***

Presumably you think the cyclist could have anticipated the silly cow driving straight into him?
Remember she only got a fine - She is still out there on a road near you.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:01:25 +0100, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

>> >I apologise, I didn't realise that there was anyone stupid enough to not know the above.
>>
>> Due to 12+ years of Internet use, I seem to have developed an unhealthy distrust of any post
>> which appears to carry more than one meaning. Would you care to clarify the above?
>No.

Thought not.

Gary Sinnott <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Due to 12+ years of Internet use, I seem to have developed an unhealthy distrust of any post
> >> which appears to carry more than one meaning. Would you care to clarify the above?
> >No.
>
> Thought not.

In your case , shoudn't that be " naught"?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:42:31 +0100, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

>> >No.
>>
>> Thought not.
>
>In your case , shoudn't that be " naught"?

Keep goin' - you're providing much entertainment :)

> >> Thought not.
> >
> >In your case , shoudn't that be " naught"?
>
> Keep goin' - you're providing much entertainment :)

It takes so little to provide you with entertainment, are you also an Eastenders fan perchance?

--

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:04:58 +0100, Stevie D <[email protected]> wrote:

>The majority of the time, I don't think that locking up dangerous drivers is of any benefit, but
>preventing them for driving will do so, and may make them - and other people they know - value
>their licences more, and take more care.

Agreed. It also makes the roads slightly safer for one year...

I would also advocate short bans with an extended re-test for many offences.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!