Driver jailed

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Helen C Simmons, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm

    "Driver jailed for cyclist's death

    A newly qualified bus driver has been jailed for one year after admitting
    causing the death of a woman cyclist.
    Physiotherapist Victoria McCreery, 37, was cycling on London's Blackfriar's
    Bridge when she was hit by a bus driven by Michael Duncan, 22, in May 2004.
    Judge Simon Davies said on Friday that while Duncan had lost concentration,
    the layout of road markings was a "contributory factor".
    Duncan pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
    Judge Davies said transport chiefs should ensure this never happens again.
    "I have no doubt that the layout of that bridge on that day was a
    contributory factor," he said.
    "If there is anything positive that I can hope for that might emerge from
    this case in that respect, it is that those advisers get on the job, cut
    through what may otherwise be superfluous bureaucracy to ensure, at least on
    that part of the road in London, this never happens again."
    He said Davies, Lower Edmonton, north London, who had held a bus driver's
    licence for just 52 days, was a person of "integrity and trustworthiness",
    who deserved credit for admitting causing death by dangerous driving.
    But although he was guilty of a simple "lapse, a momentary, dangerous error
    of judgement", there were no exceptional circumstances that could save him
    from jail.
    The court heard Australian-born Mrs McCreery, who had married one year
    earlier, had overtook Duncan as he waited at a bus stop and was "entirely
    within the cycle lane".
    Andrew Espley, prosecuting, said: "All the time the bus moved, Mrs McCreery
    was clearly visible......and Duncan, quite simply, should have seen her and
    taken steps to prevent the collision." "

    helen s

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Helen C Simmons wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm
    >
    > "Driver jailed for cyclist's death
    >
    > A newly qualified bus driver has been jailed for one year after admitting
    > causing the death of a woman cyclist.

    How come he gets one year and yet others with no license, driving bans,
    deliberate actions or dangerous driving get off with fines?

    Tony

  3. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Helen C Simmons wrote:
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm
    > >
    > > "Driver jailed for cyclist's death
    > >
    > > A newly qualified bus driver has been jailed for one year after admitting
    > > causing the death of a woman cyclist.
    > >

    > How come he gets one year and yet others with no license, driving bans,
    > deliberate actions or dangerous driving get off with fines?

    you have a legal system, not a justice system

    --
    ---
    Marten

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Helen C Simmons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Not wishing to be maudlin but from today's Northampton Chronicle & Echo.

    Cyclist killed in bike fall accident

    A cyclist died from a head injury after falling from his bike, an inquest
    Northampton General Hospital heard.

    David Andrews, aged 57, formerly of Hanehill Court, Northampton, was riding
    along Kings Croft Court on August 5, 2003, when he was seen falling into the
    road after a car had driven past at high speed.

    Brothers Adam and Richard Harvey saw the white Rover saloon car driving in
    the same direction as Mr Andrews before mounting the kerb as it turned into
    Lesham Court.

    A third witness, Terrence Clarke, who lives in Lesham Court, told police he
    heard a vehicle driving fast on the road near his house followed by a loud
    crashing sound. Richard Harvey attempted to pull the driver of the Rover
    out of the car but he dove off into Kings Croft Court. The Rover later had
    two collisions the same night.

    Mr Andrews was taken to Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, where he died the same
    day from a serious head injury.

    PC Brian Johnson who investigated the incident said it was impossible to
    attribute blame to Mr Andrews death but the impact to his head would have
    been reduced had he been wearing a cycle helmet.

    Coroner Anne Pember recorded a verdict of accidental death.

    ------------

    Heaven help us. Poor sod dies and Plod concludes it was because he wasn't
    wearing a helmet. Nothing to do with being hit by a Rover. No evidence
    Plod looked for said Rover. No evidence Plod gave a shit.

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Helen C Simmons wrote:
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm
    >>
    >> "Driver jailed for cyclist's death
    >>
    >> A newly qualified bus driver has been jailed for one year after
    >> admitting causing the death of a woman cyclist.

    > How come he gets one year and yet others with no license, driving
    > bans, deliberate actions or dangerous driving get off with fines?

    He plead guilty.

    Morning had broken, and I found when I looked that we had run out
    of copper roove nails.

  6. bill

    bill Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Helen C Simmons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > Not wishing to be maudlin but from today's Northampton Chronicle & Echo.
    >
    > Cyclist killed in bike fall accident
    >
    > A cyclist died from a head injury after falling from his bike, an inquest
    > Northampton General Hospital heard.
    >
    > David Andrews, aged 57, formerly of Hanehill Court, Northampton, was

    riding
    > along Kings Croft Court on August 5, 2003, when he was seen falling into

    the
    > road after a car had driven past at high speed.
    >
    > Brothers Adam and Richard Harvey saw the white Rover saloon car driving in
    > the same direction as Mr Andrews before mounting the kerb as it turned

    into
    > Lesham Court.
    >
    > A third witness, Terrence Clarke, who lives in Lesham Court, told police

    he
    > heard a vehicle driving fast on the road near his house followed by a loud
    > crashing sound. Richard Harvey attempted to pull the driver of the Rover
    > out of the car but he dove off into Kings Croft Court. The Rover later

    had
    > two collisions the same night.
    >
    > Mr Andrews was taken to Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, where he died the

    same
    > day from a serious head injury.
    >
    > PC Brian Johnson who investigated the incident said it was impossible to
    > attribute blame to Mr Andrews death but the impact to his head would have
    > been reduced had he been wearing a cycle helmet.
    >
    > Coroner Anne Pember recorded a verdict of accidental death.
    >
    > ------------
    >
    > Heaven help us. Poor sod dies and Plod concludes it was because he wasn't
    > wearing a helmet. Nothing to do with being hit by a Rover. No evidence
    > Plod looked for said Rover. No evidence Plod gave a shit.

    it's easier for plod to tick the "no evidence" box on the paperwork, than
    write up a report,

    have you ever seen a plod write a statement, it's like a mong in play
    school, and , the, cat, sat, on, the, mat, dur dur ddurrrrrrrr

  7. Tony W wrote:

    > "Helen C Simmons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > Not wishing to be maudlin but from today's Northampton Chronicle & Echo.
    >
    > Cyclist killed in bike fall accident
    >
    > A cyclist died from a head injury after falling from his bike, an inquest
    > Northampton General Hospital heard.
    >
    > David Andrews, aged 57, formerly of Hanehill Court, Northampton, was riding
    > along Kings Croft Court on August 5, 2003, when he was seen falling into the
    > road after a car had driven past at high speed.
    >
    > Brothers Adam and Richard Harvey saw the white Rover saloon car driving in
    > the same direction as Mr Andrews before mounting the kerb as it turned into
    > Lesham Court.
    >
    > A third witness, Terrence Clarke, who lives in Lesham Court, told police he
    > heard a vehicle driving fast on the road near his house followed by a loud
    > crashing sound. Richard Harvey attempted to pull the driver of the Rover
    > out of the car but he dove off into Kings Croft Court. The Rover later had
    > two collisions the same night.

    Plod looked for said Rover. No evidence Plod gave a shit.

    There are some quite vicious speed bumps on Great Billing Way, but I
    think they've petered out by the time you get down that far. My wife
    lived down there for a few years - the kind of area where you get lots
    of urban chavmobiles.

    FWIW, it's Kingscroft Court and Lasham Court.

  8. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:59:09 -0000 someone who may be "Tony W"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >PC Brian Johnson who investigated the incident said it was impossible to
    >attribute blame to Mr Andrews death but the impact to his head would have
    >been reduced had he been wearing a cycle helmet.

    Another "expert" pronounces.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  9. davek

    davek Guest

    Helen C Simmons quoted:
    > "I have no doubt that the layout of that bridge on that day was a
    > contributory factor," he said.

    Right, so why haven't the dangerous fools responsible for designing the
    road layout been prosecuted as well?

    > He said Davies, Lower Edmonton, north London, who had held a bus driver's
    > licence for just 52 days, was a person of "integrity and trustworthiness",
    > who deserved credit for admitting causing death by dangerous driving.

    Am I imagining it or is there a blatant contradiction at the heart of
    that sentence? How can someone who causes death by dangerous driving be
    a person you can trust behind the wheel of a bus?

    d.

  10. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Hansen wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:59:09 -0000 someone who may be "Tony W"
    > <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >

    >>PC Brian Johnson who investigated the incident said it was impossible to
    >>attribute blame to Mr Andrews death but the impact to his head would have
    >>been reduced had he been wearing a cycle helmet.

    > Another "expert" pronounces.

    "Expert" here being derived from ex = has been; spurt = drip under pressure

    Tony

  11. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > There are some quite vicious speed bumps on Great Billing Way, but I
    > think they've petered out by the time you get down that far. My wife
    > lived down there for a few years - the kind of area where you get lots
    > of urban chavmobiles.
    >
    > FWIW, it's Kingscroft Court and Lasham Court.

    I reproduced the Chronic. Thanks for the correct names -- Streetmap now
    tells me where it was. Not sure about the speed bumps there.

  12. "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Helen C Simmons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > Not wishing to be maudlin but from today's Northampton Chronicle & Echo.
    >
    > Cyclist killed in bike fall accident

    Actually I didn't write that ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Helen C Simmons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > Cyclist killed in bike fall accident

    > Actually I didn't write that ;-)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Actually -- no you didn't.

    Sorry -- poor sniping. Guy's method (with a blunt, rusty knife) might have
    been better.

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    m-gineering wrote:
    > you have a legal system, not a justice system

    That may make it onto a T-shirt at some point! ;-)

    Jon

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    How many weeks/days/hours of training to London bus drivers get now?

    ~PB

  16. "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Actually -- no you didn't.
    >
    > Sorry -- poor sniping. Guy's method (with a blunt, rusty knife) might
    > have
    > been better.

    No problemo :)

    Cheers, helen s

  17. citizen142

    citizen142 Guest

    A good point! A Barrister more or less told me that over 27 years ago.

    'Mr. xxxxxxxxxxx never confuse the law with justice'.

    I have never forgotten that remark. Even then putting a cyclist in hospital
    for 2 months and off work for 6 was not considered a high enough offence for
    the police to prosecute! The guy that knocked me off my bike was Dutch and
    it was far too much trouble for them!

  18. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:24:02 -0000, Helen C Simmons wrote:

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm

    > Judge Simon Davies said on Friday that while Duncan had lost concentration,
    > the layout of road markings was a "contributory factor".

    Then why isn't the council planner/council who designed that layout also up
    in court?

    Steve

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Steve Peake wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:24:02 -0000, Helen C Simmons wrote:
    >

    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm

    >>Judge Simon Davies said on Friday that while Duncan had lost concentration,
    >>the layout of road markings was a "contributory factor".

    > Then why isn't the council planner/council who designed that layout also up
    > in court?

    I understand that might be under consideration as they had been amply
    warned about it.

    TfL had TRL carry out a review of its procedures following the accident.
    Their report and the TfL response are available at
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/downloads/pdf/cycling/cycling-review.pdf

    Tony

  20. JLB

    JLB Guest

    Steve Peake wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:24:02 -0000, Helen C Simmons wrote:
    >

    >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4258201.stm

    >>Judge Simon Davies said on Friday that while Duncan had lost concentration,
    >>the layout of road markings was a "contributory factor".

    > Then why isn't the council planner/council who designed that layout also up
    > in court?

    AFAIR the layout followed national standards/guidelines for such things.
    *If* that is correct there is not the slightest possibility of bringing
    a case against the person who decided to use that layout. The blame
    would have to attach to those responsible for the standards/guidelines.
    However, such things are almost always drawn up by committees of people
    who are considered competent and who openly consult on their proposals.
    That does not mean they always get everything right, but if done
    properly it does rule out finding the committee members or those who
    afterwards apply the standards/guidelines negligent.

    I'm sure we'd all like to have a world where nothing ever goes wrong and
    nobody makes mistakes, but there's a clear contradiction between the
    above comment and the views in other threads that complain about the
    consequences of officials who are paranoid about being sued or prosecuted.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap