Driver left cyclist for dead

alwaysmiling

Jul 6, 2006
From The Mosman Daily A local suburban newspaper in Sydney

http://www.mosmandaily.com.au/article/2006/07/11/478_news.html

11Jul06

A CYCLIST who was knocked from his bike while riding to work and suffered a fractured pelvis is angry the driver did not stop.

While the offending driver sped off, Raymond Gregory lay on busy Military Rd at Cremorne hoping he wouldn't be run over by morning traffic.

``I'm an 88kg man and the driver would definitely have known they had hit me,'' Mr Gregory said.

``I've heard about a cyclist who was hit by a car and fell into the path of a truck and was killed, so in that sense I was lucky.

``But it's left me frustrated and angry.''

Mr Gregory, 35, of Manly Vale, was cycling on Military Rd near Spofforth St at 11.40am last Wednesday when he was hit by a car.

``I was in the inside lane so the driver either came from behind or was changing lanes from the middle lane when he clipped me,'' he said.

``I felt a knock and heard a dull crashing sound. I don't know if that was the sound of the car hitting me or the sound of me hitting the ground.''

``I was lying there and then thankfully someone pulled me off the road.

``The police drove past a few minutes later and stopped to see what had happened.

``I was taken to Manly Hospital and spent two nights there due to the pain.

``I've got a fractured pelvis and I'm on crutches and I'll be off work for a few weeks.

``I commute to the city most days by bike and I commuted by bike to work for five years in London but this is the first time this has happened.

``I try to lead a healthy lifestyle but this has put a big stop to that.''

Mr Gregory said no witnesses to the accident had come forward but he hoped someone would.

If anyone witnessed the accident, or has information about it, they are asked to call Constable Page at North Sydney police on 9956 3199

scum bag. Pure scum bag. If only the driver were to return to his/her car after shopping to find all there car panels dented. Ahh, sweet justice

LeojVS said:
scum bag. Pure scum bag. If only the driver were to return to his/her car after shopping to find all there car panels dented. Ahh, sweet justice
I think that that offence deserves car torching, not car denting.

More concerned with the cost to themselves than the wellbeing of the other party.

It wouldn't supprise me if they were on drugs and didn't want to get tested.

rohc said:
One idea to avoid lone cyclists using Military rd could be what they have tried in the inner city. Which is getting a group of cyclists who commute everyday to the city from the Northern Beaches and all ride together picking up riders along the way at designated points so by the time you hit Spit junction there would be a fair number of you making it safer for everyone concerned. Then you all could use Military rd and vehicles would have no option but to slow the F... down.
This is called the Bike Bus There are 2 running on the south side. Perhaps you could contact BicycleNSW and setup one for the Northern Beaches to the CBD.