Driver license test - questions about peds & cyclists?

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> TimC wrote:
> > On 2006-02-21, Theo Bekkers wrote

> >> Who would indicate right to exit a roundabout?

> > When you turn right at an roundabout, do you flick your indicators
> > left just before leaving?

> Of course. What is getting confusing to me, the police and everyone is these
> tiny roundabouts where there is no time or space to indicate. The Police
> advice here in WA is now that, if you're tuning right at a roundabout
> (taking the third exit) you should indicate right when you enter the
> roundabout. i.e. treat it as if the roundabout isn't there, then indicate
> left when you about to exit.
>
> http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_driversafe_part3.pdf
>
> see page 22 of 37.
>
> Theo

That's 'Straya-wide, I think.

Perhaps if there's no "time" to flick your indicators, you should cover
the same distance more slowly? :p (bein' cheeky again, and actually
confident that Theo is probably a sensible driver)

Tam

On 22/02/06 at 01:47:24 Terry Collins somehow managed to type:

<snip>

> a) you wear a hat whilst driving a volvo[1],

My father was one of those - a white terry towelling hat too, no less.
Ever been a passenger in a car being driven by someone who couldn't
even read the bloody great green freeway type signs ? I have, many
times. Have you ever been a passenger when the driver just pulled out
on to the Nepean Hwy[1] without looking to his left at all because they
had to give way to the right ? I have, more times than I care to
remember.

My father was the perfect model of the "Volvo Driver(tm)". Yellow
ochre, '70's 244DL driven badly by an old bloke wearing a terry
towelling hat. SHUDDER!!

[1] The scariest place was the corner of Violet St. and the UNdivided
Nep. Hwy. at West Rosebud and the scariest time was in the school
hols...:-(

> b) you have a model steam loco you carry around in a trailer (the pain
> at watching these old guys revers their trailer to the unloading
> ramp.)

Get to a caravan park at about four in the arvo and relax with a cuppa
while you watch 'em try and back a 'van into a spot. It's good for a
giggle...:)

<snip>

--
Humbug
BE A LOOF! (There has been a recent population explosion of lerts.)

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_driversafe_part3.pdf
>>
>> see page 22 of 37.

> That's 'Straya-wide, I think.
>
> Perhaps if there's no "time" to flick your indicators, you should
> cover the same distance more slowly? :p (bein' cheeky again, and
> actually confident that Theo is probably a sensible driver)

Our road design gurus like to put roundabouts in places where one doesn't
fit. What timing and indication does one make when turning right at an
intersection that has a roundabout with a diameter of 4 metres. You have to
be on full lock to go around it at 20 km/h, bus drivers refuse to try, and
they usually put a huge shrub in the middle to prevent you seeing anything
on the other side. A standard intersection with a roundabout inserted,
without taking away any property and still leaving the footpath.

Theo

Humbug wrote:

> Get to a caravan park at about four in the arvo and relax with a cuppa
> while you watch 'em try and back a 'van into a spot. It's good for a
> giggle...:)

My brother spent a couple of years driving around towing a van. He put a
towball on the front of his car (would you believe a P76 he bought new and
still has). Makes parking the van really easy.

Theo

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:01:37 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> The Police
> advice here in WA is now that, if you're tuning right at a roundabout
> (taking the third exit) you should indicate right when you enter the
> roundabout. i.e. treat it as if the roundabout isn't there, then indicate
> left when you about to exit.

Roundabouts are very common in the UK. Most New Towns were designed by
chucking pennies representing the roundabouts on a map, drawing lines in
between them and saying "There's your road network, build around that!" (or
at least that's how it seems).

The mini-roundabouts are usually treated as it they aren't there, i.e. you
indicate on approach but not on exit. It's made easier as they are almost
always used at junctions of 3 or 4 roads, rarely more, so it's pretty clear
from your initial indication where you're going.

Graeme

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:32:02 +1100, Humbug wrote:

> Get to a caravan park at about four in the arvo and relax with a cuppa
> while you watch 'em try and back a 'van into a spot. It's good for a
> giggle...:)

On a canoe club trip to Austria one year a bunch of us were doing just that
(although I think it was bottles of beer rather than cuppas). Eventually
we'd had as much as we could take and offered to lend the guy a hand. I
don't think he realised what we meant until we all grabbed a bit of the
caravan and bounced it sideways into the right place.

Graeme

Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:01:37 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> The Police
>> advice here in WA is now that, if you're tuning right at a
>> roundabout (taking the third exit) you should indicate right when
>> you enter the roundabout. i.e. treat it as if the roundabout isn't
>> there, then indicate left when you about to exit.

> The mini-roundabouts are usually treated as it they aren't there,
> i.e. you indicate on approach but not on exit. It's made easier as
> they are almost always used at junctions of 3 or 4 roads, rarely
> more, so it's pretty clear from your initial indication where you're
> going.

Yup, that is what the Police here say too, but the road rules say different.
At what point does a mini-ra become a proper roundabout? You see obviously
confused drivers, and reciprocating anger, at every small and medium-sized
roundabout.

Theo

Markus Imhof wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ian George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> cfsmtb wrote:
>>> This is probably a question that should be posed over at aus.cars.
>>> :) Anyway for those of you with licenses, do you recall *anything*
>>> either in handbooks or the computer tests that directly related to
>>> pedestrians or cyclists?
>>>
>>> Today the media is full of depressing news about the Mildura deaths,
>>> the police admit they're bewildered over the Vic road toll and
>>> there's more defeatist pissing and moaning about aggressive road
>>> behaviour.
>>>
>>> At the Connecting Cycling Conference last Thursday, Dr John Pucher
>>> demonstrated how in the German drivers license - 30 / 40% of the
>>> questions directly pertaining to peds/cyclists interactions.
>>> Suburban zones have a strict 30km limit, the Autobahns are quite
>>> another matter!
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

>> Unless something has changed recently, the speed limit in built-up
>> areas in Germany is 50kph, around 30mph. A 30kph/18mph speed limit
>> would be impractical for a car.
>>

> Hate to barge in, since I'm not in .oz, but we have several speed
> limits:

Usenet would be a pretty dull place if no-one barged in, I reckon.

> General limit on Autobahn: none (but a lot of specific limits)
> General limit outside cities: 100 kph
> General limit inside cities: 50 kph
> specific limit inside cities: often 30 kph on minor roads, i.e. roads
> used by pass-through traffic are only subject to the general limit of
> 50 kph, but residential/side roads are often limited to 30 kph with a
> zonal limit ('Tempo 30 Zone'; not sure about the wording - with an
> ordinary limit, the signs are repeated along the road, with a zonal
> limit, all roads entering the zone are marked accordingly with a
> special sign). specific limit inside residential areas: occasionally,
> streets in residential areas are also marked as 'quiet' streets
> ('Verkehrsberuhigter Bereich', again not sure about the translation;
> in these areas, pedestrians and playing kids have right of way,
> driving/riding is only allowed at walking speed).

Yep, that was sort of my point. We are seeing that implemented here in
Australia too, shared zones and the like, as I said somewhere in another
post. I was only taking issue with the OP's somewhat misleading inference
that this differs in some vastly material way from what we have here. It
really doesn't, the main difference is that we lack (with the exception of
the Stuart Highway, which is basically in the middle of the desert) the
unrestricted Autobahn limits.

In recent implementations, using your headings above as a guide, we have:

Maximum Speed (Limited Access Special Zones) 110km/h
General Speed Limited Access Freeway 100km/h
Open Road Limit (Highway) 100km/h
City Limited Access divided Roads (Collectors) 70km/h
City Sub-Collectors 60km/h
Access Streets 50km/h unless marked otherwise
Special zones (Schools, Shared and Similar) 20km/h - 40km/h

So we do realistically have a model in road laws that is essentially
similar, although the infrastructure and then by definition deployment of
restrictions is less mature than in Europe generally (Germany and Holland in
particular).

> On another note: although some percentage of the driving test
> questions may be targeted at vehicle/ped/cycle interaction, a lot of
> drivers seem to forget these very quickly :-(

Is the license test there still as comprehensive as it used to be? Does it
include manatory skills training, or has it moved toward the pathetic
one-off assessment based system used here? Until the focus of legislation
and enforcement turns from revenue generation on freeways and limited access
roads (which are one area that could take increased speed reasonably safely)
to comprehensive driver training and education, and enforcement in the areas
where speed actually does pose a risk, I can't see the situation here
improving. I think you'd be appalled at how little actual training and / or
skill is required for people to get out on the road over here.

Ian

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
> >
> > Bleve wrote:

> > > Most of the time, so do I. But, I choose to use shared paths at night
> > > in foul weather if I can, as I think in that instance that the risk of
> > > being hit by a car is greater than I want to accept. Every ride is a
> > > concious risk-management decision.

> > My experience of night-time riding is that the road is lit, paths are not
> > lit, paths are littered.
> >
> > Theo

> I think I'm more visible on the road at night, than I am during peak
> hour. Like Theo, I choose the roads at night because they're lit and
> generally have a better surface.

Generally I agree, but if you notice the "in foul weather" that I
wrote, that may alter your interpretation.. When it's foggy, pelting
with rain etc*, I'll take my chances on the paths before mixing it with
cars. I have a good headlight and ride cautiously on paths at night.

* I ride everywhere, this is a regular occurance in winter in
Melbourne.

On 2006-02-22, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> with rain etc*

> * I ride everywhere, this is a regular occurance in winter in
> Melbourne.

What!? Shirley you jest!

--
TimC
It typically takes 25-30 gallons of petrol/diesel to fully-consume an

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ian George" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Markus Imhof wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > On another note: although some percentage of the driving test
> > questions may be targeted at vehicle/ped/cycle interaction, a lot of
> > drivers seem to forget these very quickly :-(

> Is the license test there still as comprehensive as it used to be? Does it
> include manatory skills training, or has it moved toward the pathetic
> one-off assessment based system used here?

'Driving Test' actually requires:
- mandatory theory lessons (sitting in a classroom while someone
explains about behaviour in traffic)
- mandatory driving lessons (including night, autobahn and, if you want
a licence to tow a trailer, driving with that trailer. Yes, you now need
a licence for trailers now, at least for the larger ones. Don't care
much about that - with my old licence, I can basically tow everything
that the car can handle).
- Theory test (multiple choice)
- practical driving test

In addition to the mandatory lessons, you'll usually need some more
training in order to pass the driving tests. Reasons for failing can be
many: a friend of mine didn't swith on the wipers in a light drizzle -
failed. I had my second test on that day - the first time I failed
becaus I was driving too slow.

Just don't ask me about the current licensing system - when I made my
license, there were 5 licenses (trucks to small motorcycles). Now,
there's about a dozen....

Bye
Markus

In article <[email protected]>,
"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Hate to barge in, since I'm not in .oz, but we have several speed limits:
> >
> > General limit on Autobahn: none (but a lot of specific limits)
> > General limit outside cities: 100 kph
> > General limit inside cities: 50 kph
> > specific limit inside cities: often 30 kph on minor roads, i.e. roads

> I'm curious now. How heavily is this enforced? (I don't recall ever seeing
> speed cameras or police patrolling quiet suburban side streets in Melbourne)
> Do you know what their attitude toward bicycles is with regards to this
> limit? I know that I'd be well in danger of getting pulled over in a 30kph
> zone as my bike's not fitted with a speedo. (no, I dont have a
> computer...I'm a commuter)

30 kph: rarely
50 kph: occasionally

higher limits and specific limits: more often, often with fixed cameras.

Regarding bicycles: we have a curious situation here that the general 50
kph limit only applies to _motorized_ vehicles, not bicycles. Although
most roads were you could hit (or exceed) 50 kph with a bicycle have
mandatory bike paths/lanes - where you're lucky if you can safely ride
20 kph.
30 kph for bicycles is valid and, if there's a speed measurement, are
enforced. There are a few (very few) riders on d.r.f. who framed their
speeding ticket :)
Regarding the speedo: it's not exactly required for cars, too. You just
have to comply to the limit - how you do that is your responsibility.

Bye
Markus

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > > My experience of night-time riding is that the road is lit, paths are not
> > > lit, paths are littered.
> > >
> > > Theo

> > I think I'm more visible on the road at night, than I am during peak
> > hour. Like Theo, I choose the roads at night because they're lit and
> > generally have a better surface.

> Generally I agree, but if you notice the "in foul weather" that I
> wrote, that may alter your interpretation.. When it's foggy, pelting
> with rain etc*, I'll take my chances on the paths before mixing it with
> cars. I have a good headlight and ride cautiously on paths at night.
>
> * I ride everywhere, this is a regular occurance in winter in
> Melbourne.

My bad, I read "at night/in foul weather", i.e. I read OR rather than
AND. Tsk tsk Tam.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:00:28 +0100, Markus Imhof wrote:

> including night, autobahn and, if you want
> a licence to tow a trailer, driving with that trailer. Yes, you now need
> a licence for trailers now, at least for the larger ones.

Good idea. The amount of people you see towing a trailer that have
absolutely *no* idea is ridiculous and rather scarey considering some of
them are towing bloody big and heavy boats or caravans [1]! I was lucky
that my family had a trailer when I was young so my dad always told me
about how to tow a trailer for years before I needed to. Then I ended up
teaching friends how to tow and reverse a huge canoe trailer being towed by
a minibus. It's amazing just how much you realise you didn't know when you
start teaching someone else! Thanks to that experience, it's now a method I
use of checking how well someone has learnt something; watching them trying
to teach someone else.

Graeme

[1] Might be a good time to post this link again :)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2142640551710935964