Drivers a danger to themselves

Stephen \

Guest
Interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning with a professor studying driver behaviour (John Adams?)
stating that with the seat belt law, ABS brakes and safer car design motorists get more confident
that they won't be injured in accidents and are thus a danger to more vulnerable groups on the road
- pedestrians, the old, children and cyclists. He reckoned the best way to reduce accidents would be
to replace airbags with metal spikes - which sounds reasonable ;-)

"Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning with a professor studying driver behaviour (John Adams?)
> stating that with the seat belt law, ABS brakes
and
> safer car design motorists get more confident that they won't be injured
in
> accidents and are thus a danger to more vulnerable groups on the road - pedestrians, the old,
> children and cyclists. He reckoned the best way to reduce accidents would be to replace airbags
> with metal spikes - which sounds reasonable ;-)

and this may well be him

http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~jadams/

"Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Stephen (aka steford)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning with a professor studying
driver
> > behaviour (John Adams?) stating that with the seat belt law, ABS brakes
> and
> > safer car design motorists get more confident that they won't be injured
> in
> > accidents and are thus a danger to more vulnerable groups on the road - pedestrians, the old,
> > children and cyclists. He reckoned the best way to reduce accidents would be to replace airbags
> > with metal spikes - which sounds reasonable ;-)
> >
> and this may well be him
>
> http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~jadams/

Sorry that I've replied to myself twice but the John Adams at the above link is indeed the John
Adams interviewed this morning and he's just replied to my email praising his appearance on the
Today programme. He's sent me some links on risk including one on helmet wearing which I know a lot
of people here like to erm discuss!

http://www.adamsmith.org.uk/policy/publications/pdf-files/risky-business.pdf
http://www.rcgp.org.uk/rcgp/journal/issues/jun02/keynote4.asp
http://ip.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/8/2/e1 http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr035.pdf
http://www.rsa.org.uk/acrobat/hypermobility.pdf

That's it from me now.

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:

> Sorry that I've replied to myself twice but the John Adams at the above link is indeed the John
> Adams interviewed this morning and he's just replied to my email praising his appearance on the
> Today programme. He's sent me some links on risk including one on helmet wearing which I know a
> lot of people here like to erm discuss!

I propose that we officially rename them "Polystyrene Deflector Beanies" in recognition of the
weight and quality of research backing their use. And I am a lid-wearer, before you all fire up the
flamethrowers.

I liked his web page - picture of intelligent man on bike :)

--
Guy
===

W K wrote:

>> I liked his web page - picture of intelligent man on bike :)

> Wow, a lecturer with no face fungus.

I wonder if he is a real lecturer? We'd better check for the presence of the approved Hush
Puppies, frayed woolly tie and tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, uniform de rigeur of the
Provisional NUT.

--
Guy
===

Stephen (aka steford) <[email protected]> wrote:
> He's sent me some links on risk including one on helmet wearing which I know a lot of people here
> like to erm discuss!

Does he recommend fitting steel spikes inside helmets then?

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

wrote:
> > He's sent me some links on risk including one on helmet wearing which I know
> > lot of people here like to erm discuss!
> >

> Does he recommend fitting steel spikes inside helmets then?
>
> Tony

Cars are our spikes.

Stephen (aka steford) <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Does he recommend fitting steel spikes inside helmets then?
>>

> Cars are our spikes.

Not if you ride off-road ;-)

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:24:32 -0000 someone who may be "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Sorry that I've replied to myself twice but the John Adams at the above link is indeed the John
>Adams interviewed this morning and he's just replied to my email praising his appearance on the
>Today programme.

I'm glad you have found out about John Adams. His insights are excellent, which is why the road
"safety" lobby tries to ignore or discredit them.

"Stephen (aka steford)"
> > wrote in message
> > > Interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning with a professor studying
> driver
> > > behaviour (John Adams?) stating that with the seat belt law, ABS
brakes
> > and
> > > safer car design motorists get more confident that they won't be
injured
> > in
> > > accidents and are thus a danger to more vulnerable groups on the
road -
> > > pedestrians, the old, children and cyclists. He reckoned the best way
> > > reduce accidents would be to replace airbags with metal spikes - which sounds reasonable ;-)
> > >
> > and this may well be him
> >
> > http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/~jadams/
> >
> Sorry that I've replied to myself twice but the John Adams at the above
link
> is indeed the John Adams interviewed this morning and he's just replied to my email praising his
> appearance on the Today programme. He's sent me some links on risk including one on helmet wearing
> which I know a lot of people here like to erm discuss!

http://www.adamsmith.org.uk/policy/publications/pdf-files/risky-business.pdf
> http://www.rcgp.org.uk/rcgp/journal/issues/jun02/keynote4.asp
> http://ip.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/8/2/e1 http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr035.pdf
> http://www.rsa.org.uk/acrobat/hypermobility.pdf
>
> That's it from me now.

I can't recommend strongly enough his book "Risk". I think that any cyclist would find his account
of how we cope with danger etc on the road illuminating and at the same time familiar. It gives one
a different perspective on "Road Safety". It explains risk compensation more effectively and
convincingly than squabbles over helmets in this news group can. Mike Sales