Drivers: How can you love something you hate so much?

DonQuijote1954

Guest
> >I think that's part of the problem with American drivers: for them
> >driving is a chore. Perhaps driving better cars (stick shift, sport
> >suspensions, etc) on demanding roads (autobahn conditions) would do
> >the trick. Otherwise they should be riding the bus.

> A stick shift does nothing to make the commute to work even 1 little bit more
> fun. A stick shift with a DAMN BIG ENGINE might, but not just a stick. Put
> that stick behind a huge V8, and inside the chassis of a Corvette - now yer
> talkin. But, I prolly can't afford it, definitely don't want to try to afford
> it, and would much rather be able to ride to work, as long as I don't have to
> share space with anyone else I don't know, like you have to on a bus, train,
> airplane, etc., nor be subject to someone else's pinhead rules about not
> eating, drinking, playing the radio, etc. like on the Washington Metro subway,
> where they carry off 12 year old girls in handcuffs for having a french fry on
> the platform.

That was probably because the fries were French... ;)

But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
option?

HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
> option?
>
> HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

Ummmmm . . . because (unfortunately) driving is the ONLY viable
transportation option for 99.9% of people living in the U.S. It boils down
to convenience, and all other forms of transportation are extremely
INconvenient for many reasons. So inconvenient that they might as well not
even exist, as far as transportation options go. There are a few rare
exceptions. For example, if you happen to live and work in a large city,
you might get by OK with using the subway and not even owning a car. But
other than that, you pretty much have to own and use some kind of motorized
transport (usually a car, truck or SUV) to facilitate ummm . . . LIFE. At
least that's the way it is in the U.S.

You might hate all the time you have to spend behind the wheel, but without
driving, you are a jobless, homeless outcast on the fringes of U.S. society.
That's because so few people can afford to live in the same area that their
employer happens to conduct business. That is, unless you want to be a
grocery bagger or retail sales droid. -Dave

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 08:59:20 -0400, Dave C. <[email protected]> wrote:

>> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
>> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
>> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
>> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
>> option?
>>
>> HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

> Ummmmm . . . because (unfortunately) driving is the ONLY viable
> transportation option for 99.9% of people living in the U.S. It boils
> down
> to convenience, and all other forms of transportation are extremely
> INconvenient for many reasons. So inconvenient that they might as well
> not
> even exist, as far as transportation options go. There are a few rare
> exceptions. For example, if you happen to live and work in a large city,
> you might get by OK with using the subway and not even owning a car. But
> other than that, you pretty much have to own and use some kind of
> motorized
> transport (usually a car, truck or SUV) to facilitate ummm . . . LIFE.
> At
> least that's the way it is in the U.S.
>
> You might hate all the time you have to spend behind the wheel, but
> without
> driving, you are a jobless, homeless outcast on the fringes of U.S.
> society.
> That's because so few people can afford to live in the same area that
> their
> employer happens to conduct business. That is, unless you want to be a
> grocery bagger or retail sales droid. -Dave

Amen to that, Dave.
I can't go to the grocery and put 5 or ten bags of food on the back of the
bike.
I can't go to the home improvement center and put a load of hardware on
the bike.
I can't load up a week of clothes and commute to the motel I work out of
for the week, 150 miles away. Local work for me is 40-50 miles each way.
I am an engineer and don't think I would like fast food work at McJob.
No bike to work either way. Fortunately, I am 'temporarily' unemployed and
get
to ride every day. I like my 1966 Mopar muscle car (8 MPG, 440 big block,
400 H.P.)
for intimidating the Honda crowd, all noisy muffler, no go power. Once a
month use.
My normal use cars are wimpy 4 cylinder front wheel drive Japanese clones.
Do I like driving a car? Not really but it serves a purpose and is great
for
stuffing the bike in the back and DRIVING to some of the more remote
biking and hiking places that are more than 35 miles away. It is nice to
have some
energy to play when I get to the mountains instead of having to save
35+ miles of
energy to rade back home.
Do people need cars? Damn straight, unless they enjoy living in an
apartment and
really don't have a life. If homeless you can't sleep in the back of a
bike anyway.
Bill Baka

[email protected] (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
> option?
>
> HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

Americans are idiots. The media tells them cars are cool so they accept it.

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:

> Americans are idiots. The media tells them cars are cool so they
> accept it.

Some cars ARE cool.

Hate-filled Usenetters are not.

Bill "don't need no steenkin' media to see that" S.

"DonQuijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
> option?
>
> HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

Its not so much the task of driving as it is where you are going and why
you are going there. I love driving on open roads with little to
moderate traffic and no particular destination in mind (or a destination
that is 1000 miles away), but I hate driving in urban or suburban
traffic especially when I'm on my way to work or doing some other chore.

Problem here.
This guy is cluttering up the net with cross posting all over the place.

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:09:45 -0400, Paul
<UPS_SUCKS!@slower_traffic_get_to_the_right.com> wrote:
rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles,alt.autos,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban
This is the bicycle group,rec.bicycles.misc, not
rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles,alt.autos,alt.planning.urban or any else.
Bill Baka
I'm bored today, as you can see by all the posting, since I am working on
cleaning up my computer anyway, so time to debug the group a little.

> "DonQuijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
>> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
>> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
>> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
>> option?
>>
>> HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

> Its not so much the task of driving as it is where you are going and why
> you are going there. I love driving on open roads with little to
> moderate traffic and no particular destination in mind (or a destination
> that is 1000 miles away), but I hate driving in urban or suburban
> traffic especially when I'm on my way to work or doing some other chore.

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:09:45 -0400, "Paul"
<UPS_SUCKS!@slower_traffic_get_to_the_right.com> wrote:

>"DonQuijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
>> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
>> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
>> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
>> option?
>>
>> HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

>Its not so much the task of driving as it is where you are going and why
>you are going there. I love driving on open roads with little to
>moderate traffic and no particular destination in mind (or a destination
>that is 1000 miles away), but I hate driving in urban or suburban
>traffic especially when I'm on my way to work or doing some other chore.

I agree. If for some reason, like winter, I can't ride my bike to work
I take the bus. It's easier and more relaxing.
The bike invigorates me.
The bus lets me relax.
The car in traffic just annoys me.
--
Bob Mann
Some people just don't know how to drive...

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, DonQuijote1954 wrote:

> I don't understand if there are so many drivers in America for who
> driving is getting from point A to point B, and driving is a chore, to
> be palliated be eating, drinking, talking on the phone, why do you
> defend so stubbornly driving as your only option? HOW CAN YOU LOVE
> SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

The answer is simple, obvious and self-evident: The alternatives, where
they exist, are worse.

"Daniel J. Stern" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, DonQuijote1954 wrote:
>
> > I don't understand if there are so many drivers in America for who
> > driving is getting from point A to point B, and driving is a chore, to
> > be palliated be eating, drinking, talking on the phone, why do you
> > defend so stubbornly driving as your only option? HOW CAN YOU LOVE
> > SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

> The answer is simple, obvious and self-evident: The alternatives, where
> they exist, are worse.

You're my hero. That's what I was trying to say. You summed it up nicely
in one sentence. Way to go. -Dave

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The ones that have been shredded and recycled into patio furniture are
> cool. All the rest of 'em still stink.

The big push now is to get that very high pollution, people killing, diesel
busses under control. Cars have reduced their pollution about three orders
of magnitude in the last three decades.

Some people realize that technology changes and they can't keep using the
same cliché's forever. Maybe you should try to update your bigotry and
hatred.

"DonQuijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
> drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
> and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
> on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
> option?

There are also a lot of people that love to drive which is why people buy a
lot of sports cars. I mainly ride a motorcycle which is enjoyable and I get
to use the "motorcycle lanes" (white stripe between cars) to avoid a lot of
congestion.

Your attributing "eating, drinking, talking on the phone" to boredom shows a
lack of what people are doing. Apparently you don't realize a lot of
people like to be sociable or like to get more of their work done while
driving.

That is a major reason car companies think ITS will sell. It let people do
what they want to do and do it safely.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:06:04 GMT,
> <[email protected]>, "S o r n i"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Some cars ARE cool.

> The ones that have been shredded and recycled into patio furniture are
> cool. All the rest of 'em still stink.

Zoot, if indeed you NEVER drive or ride in a car, then maybe you've earned
the right to be a self-righteous assh--- er, jerk. Otherwise you're just a
hypocrite.

Bill "and a jerky one at that" S.

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 20:33:26 GMT,
<[email protected]>, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bill "and a jerky one at that" S.

But not one crippled by any dependency on their private automobile
since I don't own one yet easily get everywhere I usually need to go.

Taxis stink too but I'll use one if I must. Same with an ambulance or
pick-up truck. You still can't deny the fact of their reeking stench.

I just happen to think that cars aren't cool compared to patio
furniture. I also feel a so-called culture that worships its cars to
the extent voiced in these x-posted messages is worthy of the most
demeaning ridicule. They further expressed the spiteful brattiness
drivers regularly exhibit in traffic.

What's not cool is the destruction of civil society wrought by
overwhelming reliance on private automobiles as a means to its own
ends.
--
zk

"Daniel J. Stern" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, DonQuijote1954 wrote:
>
> > I don't understand if there are so many drivers in America for who
> > driving is getting from point A to point B, and driving is a chore, to
> > be palliated be eating, drinking, talking on the phone, why do you
> > defend so stubbornly driving as your only option? HOW CAN YOU LOVE
> > SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(

> The answer is simple, obvious and self-evident: The alternatives, where
> they exist, are worse.

In Texas, this is true. But I relish taking public transportation when
I visit Boston or San Francisco (there are probably similar cities that
I haven't been to). If the alternatives didn't suck, fewer people would
drive.

Then again, there are a bunch of ****wits who just love their cars...

Charles

--
Charles Soto - Austin, TX *** 1999 GSF1200S, DoD No. "uno"

("Meepmeep" is "rr," as in "roadrunner.")

Donate to John Kerry's presidential campaign:

https://contribute.johnkerry.com/index.html?source_code=00018096

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (DonQuijote1954) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> > But going back to the subject: I don't understand if there are so many
> > drivers in America for who driving is getting from point A to point B,
> > and driving is a chore, to be palliated be eating, drinking, talking
> > on the phone, why do you defend so stubbornly driving as your only
> > option?
> >
> > HOW CAN YOU LOVE SOMETHING THAT YOU HATE SO MUCH? :(
> >

> Americans are idiots. The media tells them cars are cool so they accept

it.

Well, some cars are cool, but our society is designed around the car. I live
in a relatively small town, and I ride my bike for a lot of errands, but the
traffic is scary. Florida is not really bike friendly, except for
Gainesville. I couldn't see doing a week's grocery shopping with my bike,
though.

..

> Taxis stink too but I'll use one if I must. Same with an ambulance or
> pick-up truck. You still can't deny the fact of their reeking stench.

I own a pick-up truck and don't think it smells bad, ever try taking a bath
before you get into one? :<)