Drivers: How can you love something you hate so much?

Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Robert Cote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > To bad transit-haters aren't honest about their hate. No, you don't

support
> > transit.

> Well I do insist on truth in reporting transport performance.

If only!

>Are you
> somehow suggesting that telling the truth is anti-transit?

You only have a passing aquaintance with the truth. Mostly you avoid it
like the plague.

Robert Cote <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > To bad transit-haters aren't honest about their hate. No, you don't support
> > transit.

> Well I do insist on truth in reporting transport performance. Are you
> somehow suggesting that telling the truth is anti-transit?

Leave the communists alone. They are well indoctrinated into the ONE
CHOICE SYSTEM. But we know better, it's only a matter of who's in
power the pigs or the non pigs... ;)

"Scott en Aztlan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ain't it nice to be able to drive BY CHOICE rather than OF NECESSITY?
>
> It's a freedom few people outside of the dense urban core get to
> experience...

You can have that most places, you only have to have the voters to agree to
have almost all or more than all of their money taken by taxes. Surly you
could convince the voters that it is a bargain.

"Jack May" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<jZzUc.142818$8_6.95121@attbi_s04>...
> "Scott en Aztlan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Ain't it nice to be able to drive BY CHOICE rather than OF NECESSITY?
> >
> > It's a freedom few people outside of the dense urban core get to
> > experience...

> You can have that most places, you only have to have the voters to agree to
> have almost all or more than all of their money taken by taxes. Surly you
> could convince the voters that it is a bargain.

If you can convince the voters to waste a fortune in Iraq with no
return, perhaps you can make the case that you can improve their
transportation... ;)

> That may be your opinion but the fact remains the tax,
> as you call it, is a still a 'voluntary' tax. Obey the traffic
> laws and you will never need to pay the 'tax.'
> Actually excessive speed in the slower designated speed zones IS
> the most dangerous. Doing 90 on an interstate highway, that was
> designed to accommodate the average driver at 70 MPH, is not
> nearly as dangerous as driving
> 50 MPH in a posted 25 MPH area.

My 70 year old aunt--if I had one--would be happy to hear that. Their
type never, ever get a ticket. They just hang tight to the steering
wheel of their automatic Toyota as if the car was going to escape her,
do 40MPH on the freeway and ignore everybody behind. Likewise for the
phone talkers, the kid-attending soccer moms, and the zigzaging
drivers. A faster but alert driver driving on the left would have much
less of a chance to have an accident and would make life easier on
everybody else. It's the faster driver though the only one that gets
ticketed. :(

Let me tell you, it's a jungle out there, and you better play by the
rules of the jungle. Size (SUVs), camouflage (ie. slow drivers) and
"kill or be killed" strategies sure get you a long way...

> I suppose it depends on the state in which one resides.
> In Pennsylvania and several other states it is illegal
> to drive in the left lane except to overtake other vehicles. A
> driver driving too slowly can be cited for impeding the flow of
> traffic. A driver using a telephone in the manner you describe
> can be cited for inattentive driving, or the more serious charge
> of reckless driving if their action result in an accident. In
> any event those that are cited are still paying a voluntary
> 'tax.'

I'm sure there got to be some order somewhere. I hope it spreads to
the rest of the states. But if it is as you say, voluntary or not, it
ensures the common good. The way it is for the rest of us though is
only an INDUSTRY.

"Jack May" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<HwVVc.208083$eM2.173558@attbi_s51>...
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "DTJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Being in proximity to public transportation does not mean it is an
> > > option for you.

> > Yeah, some people are too stupid to know how to read a bus schedule.

> Yeah, some people are too stupid and brain washed that they can't select the
> mode of transportation that works best for them because they are terrified
> that people might find out that they can't make decisions on their own.
>
> They only do what they think other people want them to do. Your bus
> schedule statement say you think there is only one correct answer.
> Politicians love gullible people like you that always follow orders without
> thinking.

Obviously this people who can't read bus schedules, can't read traffic
signs either, with much more disastrous consequences... :(

> In what conceivable way is it the responsibility of city designers,
> architects, the government, or anyone but ME to encourage my own
> physical activity?

Easy, have politicians work to accomplish something good like this.
Then you would'n have to risk your life to save your life... ;)

COPENHAGEN'S 10-STEP PROGRAM

1. CONVERT STREETS INTO PEDESTRIAN THOROUGHFARES

The city turned its traditional main street, Stroget, into a
pedestrian thoroughfare in 1962. In succeeding decades they gradually
added more pedestrian-only streets, linking them to
pedestrian-priority streets, where walkers and cyclists have
right-of-way but cars are allowed at low speeds.

2. REDUCE TRAFFIC AND PARKING GRADUALLY

To keep traffic volume stable, the city reduced the number of cars in
the city center by eliminating parking spaces at a rate of 2-3 percent
per year. Between 1986 and 1996 the city eliminated about 600 spaces.

3. TURN PARKING LOTS INTO PUBLIC SQUARES

The act of creating pedestrian streets freed up parking lots, enabling
the city to transform them into public squares.

4. KEEP SCALE DENSE AND LOW

Low-rise, densely spaced buildings allow breezes to pass over them,
making the city center milder and less windy than the rest of
Copenhagen.

5. HONOR THE HUMAN SCALE

The city's modest scale and street grid make walking a pleasant
experience; its historic buildings, with their stoops, awnings, and
doorways, provide people with impromptu places to stand and sit.

6. POPULATE THE CORE

More than 6,800 residents now live in the city center. They've
eliminated their dependence on cars, and at night their lighted
windows give visiting pedestrians a feeling of safety.

7. ENCOURAGE STUDENT LIVING

Students who commute to school on bicycles don't add to traffic
congestion; on the contrary, their active presence, day and night,
animates the city.

8. ADAPT THE CITYSCAPE TO CHANGING SEASONS

Outdoor cafes, public squares, and street performers attract thousands
in the summer; skating rinks, heated benches, and gaslit heaters on
street corners make winters in the city center enjoyable.

9. PROMOTE CYCLING AS A MAJOR MODE OF TRANSPORTATION

The city established new bike lanes and extended existing ones. They
placed bike crossings – using space freed up by the elimination of
parking – near intersections. Currently 34 percent of Copenhageners
who work in the city bicycle to their jobs.

10. MAKE BICYCLES AVAILABLE

The city introduced the City Bike system in 1995, which allows anyone
to borrow a bike from stands around the city for a small coin deposit.
When finished, they simply leave them at any one of the 110 bike
stands located around the city center and their money is refunded.

http://www.newurbanism.org/pages/519562/index.htm