driving directions website

grilledcheese

Sep 12, 2004
hi ..

new to this site, i posted this in the cafe too. does anyone know a good site like mapquest or expedia that you can use to get directions that are cycling suitable? for instance, mapquest used to have a feature that allowed you to select "no highways" when you got directions but they got rid of this very useful feature. any help is appreciated.

thanks very much

mike baffaro

dobber said:
Not quite what you're looking for but I use www.map24.com for plotting out routes and distances.
thanks for the reply..the site looks good. right now im just trying to figured out how to tell it the difference between I95 and rt1.. the site seems to consider them both highways. anyone on the east coast have an idea?

thanks

mike baffaro

grilledcheese said:
thanks for the reply..the site looks good. right now im just trying to figured out how to tell it the difference between I95 and rt1.. the site seems to consider them both highways. anyone on the east coast have an idea?

thanks

mike baffaro

I-95 you can't drive a bike on it...It's a restricted highway.

i know i cant ride on 95, but im trying to plot a course on rt 1. the website treats them both the same, as soon as you select no highways it disallows both 95 and rt1. i'm surprised that it they consider rt 1 a highway as its a 2 lane, sometimes 1 lane main street with lots of stoplights.

mike baffaro

grilledcheese said:
i know i cant ride on 95, but im trying to plot a course on rt 1. the website treats them both the same, as soon as you select no highways it disallows both 95 and rt1. i'm surprised that it they consider rt 1 a highway as its a 2 lane, sometimes 1 lane main street with lots of stoplights.
What state are you talking about? Rt 1 in Maryland parallels I95 and is also known as Bel Air Rd. I ride this sometimes between Bel Air Md. and Perry Hall Md. Usually pretty busy so you should pick a non rush hour time to ride it.

i live in southeastern ct. around here and rhode island rt 1 is a good road except in cities.

mike baffaro

Check out local cycling clubs, i know that a few clubs in D.C. have many routes for training or to/from destinations plotted out. maybe these people might have something for you?
there's also this which it looks like you have to pay for. But it's probably worth it if you're planning a big tour.