Driving from SLC to the best singletrack in the US, need advice

Per Löwdin

Guest
This summer we are planning to do a road trip in the US. The idea is to fly
to Salt Lake City, rent a car and then drive to places with good biking, it
will be July so we will bet on places that are high, SLC, Salida, Frisco,
Durango, Winter Park, Tahoe, Truckee, Idaho are on the agenda.

Unlike on previous trips to the US we would like to drive to the
singletrack. Figure we get more and better singletrack that way then if we
bike between places with good riding.

It would be great with suggestions of more places to ride that are within
say a day´s driving distance from SLC.

Our main concern at this point is how to get a car. We will need a fairly
big one that easily swallows our bikes and camping gear. We would prefer to
rent a car so we do not have to be bothered about the mechanics of the
thing. We will have the car for at least six weeks.

Would be utterly grateful for suggestions about where to turn in SLC. Good
car rentals? Insurance? Any other things we should think about?

I cross post to rec.bicycles.rides, apologies if that is swearing in the
church.

Per

http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:
> This summer we are planning to do a road trip in the US. The idea is
> to fly to Salt Lake City, rent a car and then drive to places with
> good biking, it will be July so we will bet on places that are high,
> SLC, Salida, Frisco, Durango, Winter Park, Tahoe, Truckee, Idaho are
> on the agenda.
> Unlike on previous trips to the US we would like to drive to the
> singletrack. Figure we get more and better singletrack that way then
> if we bike between places with good riding.
>
> It would be great with suggestions of more places to ride that are
> within say a day´s driving distance from SLC.
>
> Our main concern at this point is how to get a car. We will need a
> fairly big one that easily swallows our bikes and camping gear. We
> would prefer to rent a car so we do not have to be bothered about the
> mechanics of the thing. We will have the car for at least six weeks.
>
> Would be utterly grateful for suggestions about where to turn in SLC.
> Good car rentals? Insurance? Any other things we should think about?
>
> I cross post to rec.bicycles.rides, apologies if that is swearing in
> the church.
>
> Per
>
> http://lowdin.nu

Per, you can rent SUV and minivans from any car rental agency. I couldn't
tell you about the cost, though. Especially in SLC,where tthey are used to
fly in tourists for all the skiing. Rentals should be bu the week. Any name
brand car rental place should be able to help you, this is not a special
request. As long as you don't travel outside of the US with is, there
shouldn't be a problem.

Idaho eh? You might want to plan on being up in the panhandle the weekend of
the 6 of August...

Penny S

small change wrote:

> Per, you can rent SUV and minivans from any car rental agency. I couldn't
> tell you about the cost, though. Especially in SLC,where tthey are used to
> fly in tourists for all the skiing. Rentals should be bu the week. Any name
> brand car rental place should be able to help you, this is not a special
> request. As long as you don't travel outside of the US with is, there
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Idaho eh? You might want to plan on being up in the panhandle the weekend of
> the 6 of August...
>
> Penny S

SUV's and Minivans can be had for $325 - $400 a week if you find the
right discount codes. The best codes that I have ever found have been
on BJ's Wholesale Club website and you don't have to be a member to use
them.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Per Löwdin wrote:
> "small change" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Idaho eh? You might want to plan on being up in the panhandle the
>> weekend of the 6 of August...

> So, happens the 6th of August?
>
> Per

that weekend, yes.

small change wrote:
> Per Löwdin wrote:
>> "small change" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Idaho eh? You might want to plan on being up in the panhandle the
>>> weekend of the 6 of August...

>> So, happens the 6th of August?
>>
>> Per

> that weekend, yes.

I think he meant "what" happens that weekend. AMB Idaho?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:39:38 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>This summer we are planning to do a road trip in the US. The idea is to fly
>to Salt Lake City, rent a car and then drive to places with good biking, it
>will be July so we will bet on places that are high, SLC, Salida, Frisco,
>Durango, Winter Park, Tahoe, Truckee, Idaho are on the agenda.
>
>Unlike on previous trips to the US we would like to drive to the
>singletrack. Figure we get more and better singletrack that way then if we
>bike between places with good riding.
>
>It would be great with suggestions of more places to ride that are within
>say a day´s driving distance from SLC.
>
>Our main concern at this point is how to get a car. We will need a fairly
>big one that easily swallows our bikes and camping gear. We would prefer to
>rent a car so we do not have to be bothered about the mechanics of the
>thing. We will have the car for at least six weeks.
>
>Would be utterly grateful for suggestions about where to turn in SLC. Good
>car rentals? Insurance?

Mormon Tabernacle. God gives good insurance.

Per Löwdin wrote:
> This summer we are planning to do a road trip in the US. The idea is to fly
> to Salt Lake City, rent a car and then drive to places with good biking, it
> will be July so we will bet on places that are high, SLC, Salida, Frisco,
> Durango, Winter Park, Tahoe, Truckee, Idaho are on the agenda.
>
> Unlike on previous trips to the US we would like to drive to the
> singletrack. Figure we get more and better singletrack that way then if we
> bike between places with good riding.
>
> It would be great with suggestions of more places to ride that are within
> say a day´s driving distance from SLC.
>
> Our main concern at this point is how to get a car. We will need a fairly
> big one that easily swallows our bikes and camping gear. We would prefer to
> rent a car so we do not have to be bothered about the mechanics of the
> thing. We will have the car for at least six weeks.
>
> Would be utterly grateful for suggestions about where to turn in SLC. Good
> car rentals? Insurance? Any other things we should think about?
>
> I cross post to rec.bicycles.rides, apologies if that is swearing in the
> church.
>
> Per
>
> http://lowdin.nu

Per,
Look me up when you get towards Durango. I would like to ride with you
guys and have been known to offer hospitality to fellow bikers.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

> Per,
> Look me up when you get towards Durango. I would like to ride with you
> guys and have been known to offer hospitality to fellow bikers.

Splendid, we will get in touch, loved the riding around Durango.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Google results from the last time you asked about riding in the US.

JD

"JD" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...
> Google results from the last time you asked about riding in the US.

Yes, have done that. Got a lot of good tips then.

There is a fundamental difference this time. Then, we were cycling all the
way which meant that we spent a lot of time cycling along roads between
places with singletrack. This time we will rent a car and it makes a lot of
difference, going from Tahoe to Durango or Crested Butte will not demand
weeks on buisy highways.

At the moment our main concern is the logistics of renting a car for such a
long time.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Google results from the last time you asked about riding in the US.

> Yes, have done that. Got a lot of good tips then.
>
> There is a fundamental difference this time. Then, we were cycling all the
> way which meant that we spent a lot of time cycling along roads between
> places with singletrack. This time we will rent a car and it makes a lot of
> difference, going from Tahoe to Durango or Crested Butte will not demand
> weeks on buisy highways.
>
> At the moment our main concern is the logistics of renting a car for such a
> long time.
>
> Per
> http://lowdin.nu

When you book your flights, check to see if there are any "fly and
drive" deals. That may get you a good price on the rental car. Renting
an SUV is no problem in the US. All the major rental car companies have
them. The major rental car companies are right at the airport, so you
pick up your vehicle there and drop it off at the airport when you
leave. The rental companies offer insurance for the time you have your
rental car. In the US, many of the car insurance policies we have on our
own cars also cover rentals. But since you are not from the US, my guess
is you have to take what the rental company offers. Rentals can be by
the day, week, or even monthly.

Janet

"Per Löwdin" wrote...
> This summer we are planning to do a road trip in the US. The idea is to
> fly to Salt Lake City, rent a car and then drive to places with good
> biking, it will be July so we will bet on places that are high, SLC,
> Salida, Frisco, Durango, Winter Park, Tahoe, Truckee, Idaho are on the
> agenda.
>
> Unlike on previous trips to the US we would like to drive to the
> singletrack. Figure we get more and better singletrack that way then if we
> bike between places with good riding.
>
> It would be great with suggestions of more places to ride that are within
> say a day´s driving distance from SLC.
>
> Our main concern at this point is how to get a car. We will need a fairly
> big one that easily swallows our bikes and camping gear. We would prefer
> to rent a car so we do not have to be bothered about the mechanics of the
> thing. We will have the car for at least six weeks.
>
> Would be utterly grateful for suggestions about where to turn in SLC. Good
> car rentals? Insurance? Any other things we should think about?
>
> I cross post to rec.bicycles.rides, apologies if that is swearing in the
> church.
>
> Per
>
> http://lowdin.nu

How many people are travelling in your group?

Some of the major car rental companies offer long term rental programs that
might be good for you, check the Hertz and Avis websites to start.

Have you considered renting a motorhome? It would save you hauling your
camping gear from Sweden, and would make camping easier.

> How many people are travelling in your group?

Two, me an my wife.

> Some of the major car rental companies offer long term rental programs
> that might be good for you, check the Hertz and Avis websites to start.

Thanks, I will.

> Have you considered renting a motorhome? It would save you hauling your
> camping gear from Sweden, and would make camping easier.

Not really, Elisabeth, has a deeply ingrained distaste for vw-vans, but now
I looked up this site http://www.rentmotorhomes.com/index.htm
I feel that travelling with that kind of truck would take the fun out of
driving, must be horrible to drive in mountains, and we will go to the
mountains as it will be rather hot in July and August. Slow, bulky, arduous,
snaily. But, perhaps we should reconsider.

Our camping gear is quite simplistic, use the same as we use for trekking,
climbing, and biking, tent, kerosene stove, sleeping bags etc., no major
hassle to bring along. If we need anything extra it is easy to pick up, and
will cost far less than what a rental company would charge us just for using
it.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> How many people are travelling in your group?

> Two, me an my wife.
>
>> Some of the major car rental companies offer long term rental programs
>> that might be good for you, check the Hertz and Avis websites to start.

> Thanks, I will.
>
>> Have you considered renting a motorhome? It would save you hauling your
>> camping gear from Sweden, and would make camping easier.

> Not really, Elisabeth, has a deeply ingrained distaste for vw-vans, but
> now I looked up this site http://www.rentmotorhomes.com/index.htm
> I feel that travelling with that kind of truck would take the fun out of
> driving, must be horrible to drive in mountains, and we will go to the
> mountains as it will be rather hot in July and August. Slow, bulky,
> arduous, snaily. But, perhaps we should reconsider.
>
> Our camping gear is quite simplistic, use the same as we use for trekking,
> climbing, and biking, tent, kerosene stove, sleeping bags etc., no major
> hassle to bring along. If we need anything extra it is easy to pick up,
> and will cost far less than what a rental company would charge us just for
> using it.
>
> Per
> http://lowdin.nu

If there's only two of you you could rent a van or mini-van, remove the
seats, and have room for your bikes and camping gear. Easier to drive than
any of the motorhomes on that website, burns less fuel, and in a pinch
(truly crappy weather, can't find a good campsite, etc.), you could always
sleep in back of the van. A Ford E series or Chevrolet Express van with the
rear seats removed would offer plenty of room for two people, bikes and
camping gear.
--
mark

mark wrote:
> "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> How many people are travelling in your group?

>> Two, me an my wife.
>>
>>> Some of the major car rental companies offer long term rental programs
>>> that might be good for you, check the Hertz and Avis websites to start.

>> Thanks, I will.
>>
>>> Have you considered renting a motorhome? It would save you hauling your
>>> camping gear from Sweden, and would make camping easier.

>> Not really, Elisabeth, has a deeply ingrained distaste for vw-vans, but
>> now I looked up this site http://www.rentmotorhomes.com/index.htm
>> I feel that travelling with that kind of truck would take the fun out of
>> driving, must be horrible to drive in mountains, and we will go to the
>> mountains as it will be rather hot in July and August. Slow, bulky,
>> arduous, snaily. But, perhaps we should reconsider.
>>
>> Our camping gear is quite simplistic, use the same as we use for trekking,
>> climbing, and biking, tent, kerosene stove, sleeping bags etc., no major
>> hassle to bring along. If we need anything extra it is easy to pick up,
>> and will cost far less than what a rental company would charge us just for
>> using it.
>>
>> Per
>> http://lowdin.nu
>>

> If there's only two of you you could rent a van or mini-van, remove the
> seats, and have room for your bikes and camping gear. Easier to drive than
> any of the motorhomes on that website, burns less fuel, and in a pinch
> (truly crappy weather, can't find a good campsite, etc.), you could always
> sleep in back of the van. A Ford E series or Chevrolet Express van with the
> rear seats removed would offer plenty of room for two people, bikes and
> camping gear.

Out in Moab I fell in love with a really great van-like RV. It had 4WD,
very sleek, a shower inside, and was very expensive. The manufacturer
began with an 'S', though I can't remember the name. I am sure you can
rent something like that.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Per Löwdin wrote:

>>How many people are travelling in your group?
>>

>Two, me an my wife.
>

>>Some of the major car rental companies offer long term rental programs
>>that might be good for you, check the Hertz and Avis websites to start.
>>

>Thanks, I will.

And for lower rates, try Budget and Enterprise (I usually end up
choosing Budget Rental).

Insurance is not included in the initial price any of the rental
companies list. Make sure you determine what that addition will be. It
is the greater part of the rental cost - usually by a large margin.

There are also various levels of coverage. The highest level of coverage
leaves you with no liabilities no matter what the cause (accident,
theft, vandalism, volcanic explosion - Yellowstone could go any
millennium now ô¿Ô¬). That provides the most peace of mind, but is also
the quite expensive. Other levels of coverage do not cover theft or
other "non-driving" events - or they limit the amount of monetary
coverage in the case of an accident (and you make up the difference) .
You'll have to make a judgment call.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

> A Ford E series or Chevrolet Express van with the rear seats removed would
> offer plenty of room for two people, bikes and camping gear.

Thanks, I checked them out on the web. We would enjoy any of those, bit like
driving a yacht I figure, not to mention that lovely V-8 sound.

And, I think we would not have to remove any seats, as long as the rear
seats can be folded forwards, rental agencies are usually not to keen on
modifications. When we are camping we like to keep things simple, we have no
intention of bringing a table and chairs nor a television. Only frill will
be an ice box to keep the beer cool.

Per

http://lowdin.nu