Driving from SLC to the best singletrack in the US, need advice

> You'll have to make a judgment call.

Thanks Chuck, we will most likely wind up with maximal coverage, just for
peace of mind.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:
>>A Ford E series or Chevrolet Express van with the rear seats removed would
>>offer plenty of room for two people, bikes and camping gear.

> Thanks, I checked them out on the web. We would enjoy any of those, bit like
> driving a yacht I figure, not to mention that lovely V-8 sound.
>
> And, I think we would not have to remove any seats, as long as the rear
> seats can be folded forwards, rental agencies are usually not to keen on
> modifications. When we are camping we like to keep things simple, we have no
> intention of bringing a table and chairs nor a television. Only frill will
> be an ice box to keep the beer cool.
>
> Per
>
> http://lowdin.nu

No TV? Man, you guys are hard core!

Matt

> You wouldn't need to get something that huge for the trip that you
> describe.

> http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv_rentals/available.asp

The compact would probably be very comfortable and OK to drive, but the
thing is, at least for the moment, Elisabeth refuses to travel in a camper,
prefers a "real car", but would probably go along with a van if it is
comfortable even on long rides and drives like a car. So, it will be a SUV
or a van.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

> No TV? Man, you guys are hard core!

Yes, when we arrive at the camping places where everyone has an RV, long as
a greyhound bus, not to mention the enormous car they are towing at the back
of it along with a huge boat, we will get totally ostracized, if we are
admitted at all.

http://lowdin.nu

MattB wrote:
> Per Löwdin >>
>> And, I think we would not have to remove any seats, as long as the
>> rear seats can be folded forwards, rental agencies are usually not
>> to keen on modifications. When we are camping we like to keep things
>> simple, we have no intention of bringing a table and chairs nor a
>> television. Only frill will be an ice box to keep the beer cool.
>>
>> Per
>>
>> http://lowdin.nu
>>

> No TV? Man, you guys are hard core!
>
> Matt

I recall being way the heck back along the one of forks of the Clearwater
river. Mr. Adventure and I were looking for the back way to Dworsak dam on
forest roads ( those of you that know this country, know how far in/out/back
we were) Anyway, here's this monster RV with the sattelite receiver out on a
stand just about in the middle of the road. How bizarre. I can't relate.
They probably can't relate to our camping style, either.

maybe it's time to dig the camping highlights of AMB-ID 2005 pics out?

penny

There are 3rd party sources for temporary insurance to cover your
rental car that are much cheaper than the rental agency. Rental agency
insurance is a rip off.

Try a regular US insurance company fist, like State Farm and see if
they will insure a rental vehicle for a non-US citizen. I'm not sure
if they will, but worth a try.

If not, one of the standard 3rd party companies will do it (I've used
them in Europe when my US insurance would not cover the rental).

I cannot recall the name, but try Rick Steves' website and there should
be a link or two. If you have trouble finding it, I'll try to dig
through some old vacation files for you. I do have the number
somewhere.

Sounds like a west only trip, but if an east coast (Philadelphia) stop
would help you out just let me know.

Tim

"troutboy" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...
> There are 3rd party sources for temporary insurance to cover your
> rental car that are much cheaper than the rental agency. Rental agency
> insurance is a rip off.

Sure is, it appears outrageously expensive.

> Try a regular US insurance company fist, like State Farm and see if
> they will insure a rental vehicle for a non-US citizen. I'm not sure
> if they will, but worth a try.

Thanks, I heard, foreigners who buy a car in the US join the AAA and get
various options that way, cheaper insurance, etc.

> If not, one of the standard 3rd party companies will do it (I've used
> them in Europe when my US insurance would not cover the rental).

I will absolutely have a go at this.

> I cannot recall the name, but try Rick Steves' website and there should
> be a link or two. If you have trouble finding it, I'll try to dig
> through some old vacation files for you. I do have the number
> somewhere.

Splendid

> Sounds like a west only trip, but if an east coast (Philadelphia) stop
> would help you out just let me know.

Thanks, think we will stay in west, and not try to do a coast to coast trip,
as there is a very obvious risk that we would wind up riding in a car all
day instead of riding world class singletrack seeing less of more. Though,
sometime I would love to cross the US by car. Now, I think we fly into SLC
and just drive to places that are within a days drive or so.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:

> Thanks, think we will stay in west, and not try to do a coast to coast trip,
> as there is a very obvious risk that we would wind up riding in a car all
> day instead of riding world class singletrack seeing less of more. Though,
> sometime I would love to cross the US by car. Now, I think we fly into SLC
> and just drive to places that are within a days drive or so.
>
> Per
> http://lowdin.nu

Keep this in mind for next time. There are some incredible singletrack
rides along the east. Although we don't have 13,000' mountains, there
are some 3000' and even 6000' peaks with incredible lush green valleys.
It's a different kind of riding than out west, but you could
certainly have a very enjoyable holiday here. North Carolina, West
Virginia, Tennessee, Virgina, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York (skip
NJ), Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine have an incredible trail network
(some of the longest singletrack in the country), are easy to get from
state to state (not long boring rides), history galore (the country was
settled here), and friendly people (well, some of us) who'll show you
around and even let you shack up.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MattB wrote:
>> Per Löwdin >>
>>> And, I think we would not have to remove any seats, as long as the
>>> rear seats can be folded forwards, rental agencies are usually not
>>> to keen on modifications. When we are camping we like to keep things
>>> simple, we have no intention of bringing a table and chairs nor a
>>> television. Only frill will be an ice box to keep the beer cool.
>>>
>>> Per
>>>
>>> http://lowdin.nu
>>>

>> No TV? Man, you guys are hard core!
>>
>> Matt

> I recall being way the heck back along the one of forks of the Clearwater
> river. Mr. Adventure and I were looking for the back way to Dworsak dam on
> forest roads ( those of you that know this country, know how far
> in/out/back we were) Anyway, here's this monster RV with the sattelite
> receiver out on a stand just about in the middle of the road. How
> bizarre. I can't relate. They probably can't relate to our camping style,
> either.
>
> maybe it's time to dig the camping highlights of AMB-ID 2005 pics out?
>
> penny

uh, that would show me and the family in the travel trailer with the laptop
plugged in, the microwave going, the satellite radio blaring and probably
both the kids dvd players turned on

amazing was a little solar power can do

and the company and the coffee was good.

Gary

Check out Rugged Rentals -- Cheaper than the big companies, better SUV's and
nice staff.

news:[email protected]...

Booker C. Bense wrote:
> Also, gas prices will be approaching European levels in the USA this summer.

I'm wondering where you got that nugget of information from.

JD dunno nuthin' 'bout fuel

> Also, gas prices will be approaching European levels in the USA this
> summer.

Really, the gas in Sweden costs approximately 6 USD per gallon.

Per
http://lowdin

"Per Löwdin" wrote ...

>> Also, gas prices will be approaching European levels in the USA this
>> summer.

> Really, the gas in Sweden costs approximately 6 USD per gallon.
>
> Per

I suppose if gas in the US goes from $2.50 per gallon to $3.50 per gallon it
could be said to be "approaching" European levels, but only if European
prices remain constant. Americans pay less for fuel than almost the entire
world, but they make up for it by complaining about the price more.
--
mark

> Booker C. Bense wrote:
>> Also, gas prices will be approaching European levels in the USA this
>> summer.

> I'm wondering where you got that nugget of information from.
>
> JD dunno nuthin' 'bout fuel

seems it already is.....2.98 as of 4/23 in GA. And we usually have some of
the lowest prices in the nation...

Dave W wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Booker C. Bense wrote:
>>
>>>Also, gas prices will be approaching European levels in the USA this
>>>summer.

>>I'm wondering where you got that nugget of information from.
>>
>>JD dunno nuthin' 'bout fuel

> seems it already is.....2.98 as of 4/23 in GA. And we usually have some of
> the lowest prices in the nation...

Couldn't find anything under 3.12 today.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> Couldn't find anything under 3.12 today.

That's because you are not behind the Orange Curtain.

JD

mark wrote:
> "Per Löwdin" wrote ...
>
>>>Also, gas prices will be approaching European levels in the USA this
>>>summer.

>>Really, the gas in Sweden costs approximately 6 USD per gallon.
>>
>>Per

> I suppose if gas in the US goes from $2.50 per gallon to $3.50 per gallon it
> could be said to be "approaching" European levels, but only if European
> prices remain constant. Americans pay less for fuel than almost the entire
> world, but they make up for it by complaining about the price more.

Just to put things in perspective. I know lots of people who complain
about gas prices around $3/gal, but don't think twice about their
$32/gal fancy coffee. Think about it - a fancy coffee from Starbucks
costs around $4/8oz cup. A gallon is 64 oz or eight 8oz cups of coffee,
hence $32/gal of coffee......

Janet