Driving from SLC to the best singletrack in the US, need advice

Sorry about the double posts - technical difficulties with my ISP...

Janet

Janet wrote:

> Just to put things in perspective. I know lots of people who complain
> about gas prices around $3/gal, but don't think twice about their
> $32/gal fancy coffee. Think about it - a fancy coffee from Starbucks
> costs around $4/8oz cup. A gallon is 64 oz or eight 8oz cups of
> coffee, hence $32/gal of coffee......

I saw a woman pouring Chanel #5 in her gas tank today!

Bill "OK, it was a cartoon" S.

Janet wrote:

> Just to put things in perspective. I know lots of people who complain
> about gas prices around $3/gal, but don't think twice about their
> $32/gal fancy coffee. Think about it - a fancy coffee from Starbucks
> costs around $4/8oz cup. A gallon is 64 oz or eight 8oz cups of coffee,
> hence $32/gal of coffee......

Pleasure isn't a commodity so people are happy to pay a premium to
experience pleasure. In general I derive much more pleasure from a
gallon of coffee than I do from a gallon of gas. I derive much more
utility from a gallon of gas but utility doesn't excite the senses like
a nice cup.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Janet wrote:
> Sorry about the double posts - technical difficulties with my ISP...
>
> Janet

I was thinking you spilled some coffee on your keyboard.

JD

snip
> > Just to put things in perspective. I know lots of people who complain
> > about gas prices around $3/gal, but don't think twice about their
> > $32/gal fancy coffee. Think about it - a fancy coffee from Starbucks
> > costs around $4/8oz cup. A gallon is 64 oz or eight 8oz cups of coffee,
> > hence $32/gal of coffee......

snip

Since this is a bicycle newsgroup, how about $252 USD for a gallon of
Phil Wood tenacious oil....?

How many chins can you buy for that?

HAND

I have a carbon fiber bike with carbon wheels.
Can I ride that through the thunder..?

:)

Per Janet:
>Think about it - a fancy coffee from Starbucks
>costs around $4/8oz cup. A gallon is 64 oz or eight 8oz cups of coffee,
>hence $32/gal of coffee......

That's even better than the bottled water comparison (which is probably obsolete
by now...)
--
PeteCresswell

JD wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>
>>Sorry about the double posts - technical difficulties with my ISP...
>>
>>Janet

> I was thinking you spilled some coffee on your keyboard.
>
> JD

LOL!!

Janet

> I suppose if gas in the US goes from $2.50 per gallon to $3.50 per gallon
> it could be said to be "approaching" European levels,

Well, it means that the gas price in the US is 40-55 percent of the price in
Europe. Most Europeans would call that a bargain.

> but only if European prices remain constant.

True, yes, the will not, if the price of crude goes up the European prices
are likely to rise even further.

> Americans pay less for fuel than almost the entire world, but they make up
> for it by complaining about the price more.

In Europe 70 percent or so of the gas price is tax. I find the American gas
prices irrational, spineless, they lead to over-consumption, and at the same
time as the price is ridiculously low there are huge deficits that may a
threat to everyone.

In any case the price of gas will be one of our smallest problems this
summer.

Per
http://lowdin.nu