DrLith, Globaldisc, and other lost souls...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pris Stratton, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Stung by the rather harsh criticism of Miss-G- by the erstwhile DrLith, I did some googling to find
    a little more about the persona behind the acid tongue and, surprise, surprise, found that
    alt.support.divorce seems to be a second home for many from rec.running. Which leads me to
    think...are many of you running for psychological reasons rather than for fitness or competition?

    Now, I'm not suggesting that this is A. Bad. Thing., merely that it puts a different slant on many
    of your posts to rec.running. If you're arriving here with your fragile egos fit to burst from the
    stress of life's inequities, I can well understand how my posts may cause you to become the grumpy
    and bitter souls you appear to be. Alternatively, you could be sheltering on alt.support.divorce
    precisely because you *are* grumpy and bitter souls, with whom no sane person would share a
    marital bed.

    This rather begs the question, "Are some people predestined for divorce by virtue of their basically
    horrid personalities?", which in itself leads to the question, "Are some people predestined to be
    runners by virtue of their inability to sustain a successful marital relationship?"

    Makes you think, dunnit?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Pris Stratton wrote:
    > Stung by the rather harsh criticism of Miss-G- by the erstwhile DrLith, I did some googling to
    > find a little more about the persona behind the acid tongue and, surprise, surprise, found that
    > alt.support.divorce seems to be a second home for many from rec.running. Which leads me to
    > think...are many of you running for psychological reasons rather than for fitness or competition?
    >
    > Now, I'm not suggesting that this is A. Bad. Thing., merely that it puts a different slant on many
    > of your posts to rec.running. If you're arriving here with your fragile egos fit to burst from the
    > stress of life's inequities, I can well understand how my posts may cause you to become the grumpy
    > and bitter souls you appear to be. Alternatively, you could be sheltering on alt.support.divorce
    > precisely because you *are* grumpy and bitter souls, with whom no sane person would share a
    > marital bed.
    >
    > This rather begs the question, "Are some people predestined for divorce by virtue of their
    > basically horrid personalities?", which in itself leads to the question, "Are some people
    > predestined to be runners by virtue of their inability to sustain a successful marital
    > relationship?"
    >
    > Makes you think, dunnit?

    WOuld you care to remind us how your marriage is doing ?

  3. On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >WOuld you care to remind us how your marriage is doing ?

    Going down the tubes faster than oil down a mineshaft.

    Your point?

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Pris Stratton wrote:
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:21:18 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>WOuld you care to remind us how your marriage is doing ?
    >
    > Going down the tubes faster than oil down a mineshaft.
    >
    > Your point?

    Makes you think, dunnit ?

    Cheers,

  5. On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:46:42 +0000 (UTC), Donovan Rebbechi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Makes you think, dunnit ?

    Not really.

    Y'see, my marriage was predestined to fail - not because of my beastly personality, but because I'm
    a runner. I accept this, therefore I'm at peace with myself and the world.

  6. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Pris Stratton wrote:

    > This rather begs the question, "Are some people predestined for divorce by virtue of their
    > basically horrid personalities?", which in itself leads to the question, "Are some people
    > predestined to be runners by virtue of their inability to sustain a successful marital
    > relationship?"
    >
    > Makes you think, dunnit?

    Makes me laugh.

  7. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

    "Pris Stratton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stung by the rather harsh criticism of Miss-G- by the erstwhile DrLith, I did some googling to
    > find a little more about the persona behind the acid tongue and, surprise, surprise, found that
    > alt.support.divorce seems to be a second home for many from rec.running. Which leads me to
    > think...are many of you running for psychological reasons rather than for fitness or competition?

    Ah, but if you were a better googler, you would have found that I also have been known to haunt
    rec.pets.cats. And soc.culture.bolivia. And alt.support.attn-deficit (I think that was the name of
    the group....)

    Google doesn't have archives of the alt. hierarchy going that far back.

    Funny thing about Global--when he started posting in ASD, none of the regulars liked him over
    there, either.

    Other funny thing about ASD is that it is, in fact, directly responsible for my engagement with
    running, though not for any of the reasons you might imagine; rather, that's where I first met the
    famous BobG, whose persistent nongrumpiness and nonbitterness drove me to give it a go.

  8. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Pris Stratton wrote:
    >

    > > This rather begs the question, "Are some people predestined for divorce by virtue of their
    > > basically horrid personalities?", which in itself leads to the question, "Are some people
    > > predestined to be runners by virtue of their inability to sustain a successful marital
    > > relationship?"
    > >
    > > Makes you think, dunnit?
    >
    > Makes me laugh.

    You so funny Doug. That Roger, he one sad troll.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Pris Stratton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Stung by the rather harsh criticism of Miss-G- by the erstwhile DrLith, I did some googling to
    > find a little more about the persona behind the acid tongue and, surprise, surprise, found that
    > alt.support.divorce seems to be a second home for many from rec.running. Which leads me to
    > think...are many of you running for psychological reasons rather than for fitness or competition?
    >
    > Now, I'm not suggesting that this is A. Bad. Thing., merely that it puts a different slant on many
    > of your posts to rec.running. If you're arriving here with your fragile egos fit to burst from the
    > stress of life's inequities, I can well understand how my posts may cause you to become the grumpy
    > and bitter souls you appear to be. Alternatively, you could be sheltering on alt.support.divorce
    > precisely because you *are* grumpy and bitter souls, with whom no sane person would share a
    > marital bed.
    >
    > This rather begs the question, "Are some people predestined for divorce by virtue of their
    > basically horrid personalities?", which in itself leads to the question, "Are some people
    > predestined to be runners by virtue of their inability to sustain a successful marital
    > relationship?"
    >
    > Makes you think, dunnit?

    All conversations are with myself, they just happen to involve other people a good deal of the time,
    my wife included.

    Maintaining a successful marital relationship has more to not projecting my issues, dislikes and
    emotions on my spouse, and realize that it's about me.

    Kip and I marathoned together from 1975 to 1985. We will have been running regularly at the San
    Diego Marathon Clinic for 29 years come this Ides of March. We were married in 1972 and our running
    began in earnest in 1975.

    Being a Family Therapist for almost 30 years, and directing the Marathon Clinic since 1975, it has
    been a wonderful place to observe relationships begin, finish, and last. Often when people returned
    to the Marathon Clinic it was after a breakup. Many often stopped running to please appease there
    partner/spouse.

    Read the Little Prince as a good book to talk about how one tames a fox and knows one's rose from
    the million others. The other little book is by Robert Bly: A little book on the human shadow. Or
    you might be interested in Romancing the Shadow.

    In health and on the run,

    Ozzie

  10. On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:06:47 -0500, "DrLith" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Ah, but if you were a better googler, you would have found that I also have been known to haunt
    >rec.pets.cats. And soc.culture.bolivia. And alt.support.attn-deficit (I think that was the name of
    >the group....)

    >Google doesn't have archives of the alt. hierarchy going that far back.

    I said I wanted to find 'a little more about the persona', not perform an in-depth analysis of your
    psyche. I learnt all that I needed to know.

    >Funny thing about Global--when he started posting in ASD, none of the regulars liked him over
    >there, either.

    No wonder. His posts verged on the bizarre.

    >Other funny thing about ASD is that it is, in fact, directly responsible for my engagement with
    >running, though not for any of the reasons you might imagine; rather, that's where I first met the
    >famous BobG, whose persistent nongrumpiness and nonbitterness drove me to give it a go.

    I still maintain I have discovered an interesting relationship between alt.support.divorce and
    rec.running. I shall monitor developments...

  11. On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 05:47:23 GMT, Ozzie Gontang
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All conversations are with myself, they just happen to involve other people a good deal of the time

    Oz, I know and understand this. Please don't keep repeating it. Repetition does not make things any
    more or any less true, it's just tiresome.

    >Maintaining a successful marital relationship has more to not projecting my issues, dislikes and
    >emotions on my spouse, and realize that it's about me.

    Well, honey, I know this too.

    There was a wonderful piece of writing in the 'Telegraph' over the weekend on the marriage of Ran
    (of the 7 marathons in 7 continents over 7 days) and Ginny Fiennes:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2004%2F02%2F28%2Fnran28.xml

    I liked that piece. Not for the writing, which tended towards the slushy, but because it
    demonstrated - for me - the essentials for a truly successful marriage.

    Read it and tell me what you think.

  12. Open Piper

    Open Piper Guest

    Pris???? What kind of fag name is that? Did they call you Prissy for long? Did you get the living
    shit beat out of you throughout school?

  13. Is "Open Piper" another term for "open zipper"? Or maybe just "Open cornhole"?

    "Open piper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Pris???? What kind of fag name is that? Did they call you Prissy for long? Did you get the living
    > shit beat out of you throughout school?

  14. Duncan Idaho

    Duncan Idaho Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:29:26 GMT, Ozzie Gontang
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What do I think. The spirit is indomitable. We honor our
    >partners by going on, as they would have wanted.

    Huh? Hardly the thoughtful analysis I was expecting. And you
    call yourself a therapist?

    Oz, you need to give of yourself to those crying out for
    help, not be all snotty and inconclusive. I need help,
    advice, comforting words, baby food, warm soft flesh... And
    you offer me two miserable sentences?

    Well, that's it. No hope for me now. I shall return to my
    horrid wife, my ghastly lifestyle, my championing of the
    lost souls of Usenet, etc, etc. Yet I'll always wonder
    whether - but for your rejection when I needed you most - my
    life couldn't have turned out so differently...

  15. Duncan Idaho

    Duncan Idaho Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:40:57 +0100, "Jonathan Sydenham"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Or maybe just "Open cornhole"?

    Great Scott, Jonathan! I haven't heard that expression since
    boarding school. Wherever did you dig it up from?

  16. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

  17. Duncan Idaho

    Duncan Idaho Guest

  18. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Duncan Idaho wrote:

    > DrLith, don't believe everything you read on Usenet :)

    How true, she not ready for divorce but she's likely getting
    a little(maybe a lot) on side - it's the first step in the
    road to divorce. ;)

  19. Duncan Idaho

    Duncan Idaho Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:16:52 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >How true, she not ready for divorce but she's likely
    >getting a little(maybe a lot) on side - it's the first step
    >in the road to divorce. ;)

    Well, if she's getting a little (or a lot) on the side, how
    come I'm still 'expected to perform' to an entirely
    unreasonable standard? Can't the other guy do it? Why can't
    I be left alone for a good nights sleep?

    Sometimes I'd just like to have cuddles...