drool...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Martin, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Popped in to the LBS on my way up to the hospital for a meeting..

    Chap in there having a new bike set up.

    Black carbon OCLV, carbon bontrager wheels, carbon bontrager crank.
    Tribar setup.

    Looked very very nice.

    ...d

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > Popped in to the LBS on my way up to the hospital for a meeting..
    >
    > Chap in there having a new bike set up.
    >
    > Black carbon OCLV, carbon bontrager wheels, carbon bontrager crank.
    > Tribar setup.
    >
    > Looked very very nice.

    Sounds bloody uncomfortable to me... ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Peter Clinch came up with the following;:
    > David Martin wrote:
    >> Popped in to the LBS on my way up to the hospital for a meeting..
    >>
    >> Chap in there having a new bike set up.
    >>
    >> Black carbon OCLV, carbon bontrager wheels, carbon bontrager crank.
    >> Tribar setup.
    >>
    >> Looked very very nice.

    > Sounds bloody uncomfortable to me... ;-)

    So uncomfortable, in fact, that you feel it only right, and 'for his own
    good', that you ride it for him perchance?

    ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  4. sothach

    sothach Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > Black carbon OCLV, carbon bontrager wheels, carbon bontrager crank.
    > Tribar setup.

    Saw something like that in my lbs, weighed in at 5.7kg, made me wonder
    what you could get the weight down to if you dumped all those
    extraneous gears, derailers, brakes and cables, and made it a fixie?

  5. davek

    davek Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > So uncomfortable, in fact, that you feel it only right, and 'for his own
    > good', that you ride it for him perchance?

    I suspect Pete would only be interested in riding it if he could fit an
    armchair to it instead of a saddle. ;-)

    d.

  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    > > So uncomfortable, in fact, that you feel it only right, and 'for his own
    > > good', that you ride it for him perchance?

    > I suspect Pete would only be interested in riding it if he could fit an
    > armchair to it instead of a saddle. ;-)

    Chappie was wanting it for triathlon. Looked like it could be
    relatively comfortable compared to his previous bike (ie you don't have
    to sit on it for so long ;-).

    ...d

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    davek wrote:

    > I suspect Pete would only be interested in riding it if he could fit an
    > armchair to it instead of a saddle. ;-)

    Exactly! Carbon fibre armchair quite acceptable, natch! ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  8. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    sothach wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    >

    >>Black carbon OCLV, carbon bontrager wheels, carbon bontrager crank.
    >>Tribar setup.

    > Saw something like that in my lbs, weighed in at 5.7kg, made me wonder
    > what you could get the weight down to if you dumped all those
    > extraneous gears, derailers, brakes and cables, and made it a fixie?

    Hmm. I wonder what the lower weight limit for a road
    time trial fixed is.

    Short event fixed (e.g. track bikes) need to be strong
    because of the high acceleration forces.

    BugBear

  9. Peter Clinch wrote:

    > davek wrote:
    >
    > > I suspect Pete would only be interested in riding it if he could fit an
    > > armchair to it instead of a saddle. ;-)

    > Exactly! Carbon fibre armchair quite acceptable, natch! ;-)

    Speaking of carbon fibre seats, the bike shop near where my parents
    live had a road bike - think it was a top-end Colnago - on display the
    other week with an all-carbon saddle. Tapping the top of it resulted in
    a distinctly "plastic" sound, so clearly not an ounce of padding in it.
    Probably just about bearable for very short TTs, but otherwise,
    ouch....and then some :-(

    David Belcher

  10. In article <[email protected]>, David
    E. Belcher ([email protected]) wrote:

    > Speaking of carbon fibre seats, the bike shop near where my parents
    > live had a road bike - think it was a top-end Colnago - on display the
    > other week with an all-carbon saddle. Tapping the top of it resulted in
    > a distinctly "plastic" sound, so clearly not an ounce of padding in it.
    > Probably just about bearable for very short TTs, but otherwise,
    > ouch....and then some :-(

    I saw a carbon saddle on a tandem in Switzerland in 1994. It was
    competing in a 98 km road race. The OTHER crew member had a B17 :)

    And then there was light and He thought it was good, so He threw the
    receipt away.

  11. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    David E. Belcher wrote:
    > Peter Clinch wrote:
    >
    >> davek wrote:
    >>
    >>> I suspect Pete would only be interested in riding it if he could fit an
    >>> armchair to it instead of a saddle. ;-)

    >> Exactly! Carbon fibre armchair quite acceptable, natch! ;-)
    >>

    > Speaking of carbon fibre seats, the bike shop near where my parents
    > live had a road bike - think it was a top-end Colnago - on display the
    > other week with an all-carbon saddle. Tapping the top of it resulted in
    > a distinctly "plastic" sound, so clearly not an ounce of padding in it.
    > Probably just about bearable for very short TTs, but otherwise,
    > ouch....and then some :-(
    >
    > David Belcher

    Club mate of mine had one of these a couple of years ago when we did
    the Duo Normand together. It was so uncomfortable he ended up wearing
    two pairs of shorts for the race and kept complaining that it still
    felt like it was slicing his nadgers off. He then sold it to another
    club mate who rode it in a 25 last sunday and is replacing it this week :)

    Stan Cox