Drop bar shapes for new brake levers

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]
> egroups.com>,
> landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > And here's a URL, $25.50 at JensonUSA:http://tinyurl.com/3dtj3w

>> Doh, forgot about that one! Cheep, and a true classic! May have to
>> fire up the Visacard...

> I do not call them `classic' because of the shallow 140 mm drop.
> Michael Press

Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop bar
and that's pretty classic.
-tom

On Jan 10, 12:18 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > In article
> > <[email protected]
> > egroups.com>,
> > landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Doh, forgot about that one! Cheep, and a true classic! May have to
> >> fire up the Visacard...

> > I do not call them `classic' because of the shallow 140 mm drop.
> > Michael Press

> Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop bar
> and that's pretty classic.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -

Maybe in finish, but the shape of the Cinelli 64 is a thing unto
itself, really. No reach, not much drop to speak of. They were nice
when I had Mafac or AGC250s on them, but were completely useless with
Ergos.

"Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On Jan 10, 12:18 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > In article
> > <[email protected]
> > egroups.com>,
> > landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Doh, forgot about that one! Cheep, and a true classic! May have to
> >> fire up the Visacard...

> > I do not call them `classic' because of the shallow 140 mm drop.
> > Michael Press

> Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop
> bar
> and that's pretty classic.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -

>Maybe in finish, but the shape of the Cinelli 64 is a thing unto
>itself, really. No reach, not much drop to speak of. They were nice
>when I had Mafac or AGC250s on them, but were completely useless with
>Ergos.

Well Hank, the original design of the Cinelli Mod. 64 drop bar wasn't made
for ergos, but I think you knew that. It was only the later design that they
decided to put a groove in the bar. That was the quick fix for the
transition period for Cinelli.
We all know cycling had a lot of transition periods.
-tom

On Jan 10, 1:49 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On Jan 10, 12:18 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]
> > > egroups.com>,

> > > I do not call them `classic' because of the shallow 140 mm drop.
> > > Michael Press

> > Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop
> > bar
> > and that's pretty classic.
> > -tom- Hide quoted text -

> >Maybe in finish, but the shape of the Cinelli 64 is a thing unto
> >itself, really. No reach, not much drop to speak of. They were nice
> >when I had Mafac or AGC250s on them, but were completely useless with
> >Ergos.

> Well Hank, the original design of the Cinelli Mod. 64 drop bar wasn't made
> for ergos, but I think you knew that. It was only the later design that they
> decided to put a groove in the bar.  That was the quick fix for the
> transition period for Cinelli.
> We all know cycling had a lot of transition periods.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -

I'm not even talking about grooves, I'm talking about the shape. The
only manner in which the Cinelli 64 resembles the Nitto 115 is the
satin finish and the sleeved center.

Even after Cinelli added the grooves (early '90s? The pair I bought in
'95 were the first I saw with them), current-shape Ergos weren't
around yet, and the pointy Ergos didn't work on them either. They
worked OK with every '70s and '80s-era lever I tried, though,
including Dia-Compe AGC250s and Shimano BL-6400s. A single groove made
sense, but double-grooves were unnecessary, because no lever with dual
cables under the tape fit well on them.

"Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jan 10, 1:49 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On Jan 10, 12:18 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]
> > > egroups.com>,

> > > I do not call them `classic' because of the shallow 140 mm drop.
> > > Michael Press

> > Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop
> > bar
> > and that's pretty classic.
> > -tom- Hide quoted text -

> >Maybe in finish, but the shape of the Cinelli 64 is a thing unto
> >itself, really. No reach, not much drop to speak of. They were nice
> >when I had Mafac or AGC250s on them, but were completely useless with
> >Ergos.

> Well Hank, the original design of the Cinelli Mod. 64 drop bar wasn't made
> for ergos, but I think you knew that. It was only the later design that
> they
> decided to put a groove in the bar. That was the quick fix for the
> transition period for Cinelli.
> We all know cycling had a lot of transition periods.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -
>

>>>I'm not even talking about grooves, I'm talking about the shape. The

only manner in which the Cinelli 64 resembles the Nitto 115 is the
satin finish and the sleeved center.

Even after Cinelli added the grooves (early '90s? The pair I bought in
'95 were the first I saw with them), current-shape Ergos weren't
around yet, and the pointy Ergos didn't work on them either. They
worked OK with every '70s and '80s-era lever I tried, though,
including Dia-Compe AGC250s and Shimano BL-6400s. A single groove made
sense, but double-grooves were unnecessary, because no lever with dual
>>>cables under the tape fit well on them.

I have both bars Cinelli Mod. 64, and the Nitto 115 bar.
The drop feels the same to me. The only difference is the long flat on top
of the bar Nitto 115. Riding on the hoods didn't make that much of a
difference either. Cinelli had a little more radius.
You're the one who brought up Ergo's, and as I mentioned, the bar wasn't
made for Ergos. The grooves came later when cyclist were going with the aero
levers, under the tape cable routing. They seem to work no different than
anyother double grooved bar when cable routed.

Here's a photo of the Nitto 115 bar:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/nitto115.gif

Here's a photo of the cinelli mod 64 bar with the grooves:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/hndlbars_jpg/m1m_cinelli_64_bar.jpg

Eddy Merckx had used the Cinelli Mod. 64, as well as the Mod 66.

With the Cinelli Mod 64 bar, I found it best to set them a little lower
because
of the shallow drop. Mod 66 could be raised higher because of the deep
drop.
-tom

On Jan 11, 7:38 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 10, 1:49 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Hank" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > On Jan 10, 12:18 pm, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >news:[email protected]...

> > > Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop
> > > bar
> > > and that's pretty classic.
> > > -tom- Hide quoted text -

> > >Maybe in finish, but the shape of the Cinelli 64 is a thing unto
> > >itself, really. No reach, not much drop to speak of. They were nice
> > >when I had Mafac or AGC250s on them, but were completely useless with
> > >Ergos.

> > Well Hank, the original design of the Cinelli Mod. 64 drop bar wasn't made
> > for ergos, but I think you knew that. It was only the later design that
> > they
> > decided to put a groove in the bar. That was the quick fix for the
> > transition period for Cinelli.
> > We all know cycling had a lot of transition periods.
> > -tom- Hide quoted text -

> only manner in which the Cinelli 64 resembles the Nitto 115 is the
> satin finish and the sleeved center.
>
> Even after Cinelli added the grooves (early '90s? The pair I bought in
> '95 were the first I saw with them), current-shape Ergos weren't
> around yet, and the pointy Ergos didn't work on them either. They
> worked OK with every '70s and '80s-era lever I tried, though,
> including Dia-Compe AGC250s and Shimano BL-6400s. A single groove made
> sense, but double-grooves were unnecessary, because no lever with dual

> I have both bars Cinelli Mod. 64, and the Nitto 115 bar.
> The drop feels the same to me. The only difference is the long flat on top
> of the bar Nitto 115. Riding on the hoods didn't make that much of a
> difference either. Cinelli had a little more radius.
> You're the one who brought up Ergo's, and as I mentioned, the bar wasn't
> made for Ergos. The grooves came later when cyclist were going with the aero
> levers, under the tape cable routing.   They seem to work no different than
> anyother double grooved bar when cable routed.
>
> Here's a photo of the Nitto 115 bar:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/nitto115.gif
>
> Here's a photo of the cinelli mod 64 bar with the grooves:http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/hndlbars_jpg/m1m_cinelli_6...
>
> Eddy Merckx had used the Cinelli Mod. 64, as well as the Mod 66.
>
> With the Cinelli Mod 64 bar, I found it best to set them a little lower
> because
> of the shallow drop.  Mod 66 could be raised higher because of the deep
> drop.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -

OK, we're both arguing on the same side...the thread title is "Drop
bar shapes for new brake levers," which is where the Ergos come
in...New brake levers assume the flat ramps, which means the C64 is no
longer suitable for modern levers, unlike the Nitto 115.

Sorry if I came off as argumentative, not my intent.

> [...]

> Here's a photo of the Nitto 115
> bar:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/nitto115.gif
>
> Here's a photo of the cinelli mod 64 bar with the
> grooves:http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/hndlbars_jpg/m1m_cinelli_6...
>
> Eddy Merckx had used the Cinelli Mod. 64, as well as the Mod 66.
>
> With the Cinelli Mod 64 bar, I found it best to set them a little lower
> because
> of the shallow drop. Mod 66 could be raised higher because of the deep
> drop.
> -tom- Hide quoted text -

>>OK, we're both arguing on the same side...the thread title is "Drop

bar shapes for new brake levers," which is where the Ergos come
in...New brake levers assume the flat ramps, which means the C64 is no
>>longer suitable for modern levers, unlike the Nitto 115.

>>Sorry if I came off as argumentative, not my intent.

No problem, you did seem argumentative, not sure why? In defense?
But understand about the newer design brake levers.
I once saw a new Campy Record Ergo 10sp gruppo on a Cinelli
Mod 64 non-groove bar, didn't seem out of the ordinary. The bar was
tilted slightly upward a few degrees. It was wrapped with Cinelli Gel tape.
He used the non groove bar to give more of an oval shape on the top
portion of the bar. Not something I would do, but it felt quite comfortable.
-tom

On Jan 11, 8:01 am, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK, we're both arguing on the same side...the thread title is "Drop
> bar shapes for new brake levers," which is where the Ergos come
> in...New brake levers assume the flat ramps, which means the C64 is no
> longer suitable for modern levers, unlike the Nitto 115.

Thanks for all the great posts.

I know I wrote for 'bars for new levers', but I now wonder if I can
get the flat ramp-lever transition with my old 8 speed dura ace
levers? If, as you suggest the early levers were made for a steep
ramp, would that mean I'd need a bar with a near right-angle bend down
at the end of the ramp to accommodate the old levers, and get the
transition. Does such an animal exist?

Cheers all

On Jan 11, 9:54 am, mtb Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 8:01 am, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OK, we're both arguing on the same side...the thread title is "Drop
> > bar shapes for new brake levers," which is where the Ergos come
> > in...New brake levers assume the flat ramps, which means the C64 is no
> > longer suitable for modern levers, unlike the Nitto 115.

> Thanks for all the great posts.
>
> I know I wrote for 'bars for new levers', but I now wonder if I can
> get the flat ramp-lever transition with my old 8 speed dura ace
> levers?  If, as you suggest the early levers were made for a steep
> ramp, would that mean I'd need a bar with a near right-angle bend down
> at the end of the ramp to accommodate the old levers, and get the
> transition.  Does such  an animal exist?
>
> Cheers all

You'll probably be fine with your ST-7400s, Those were one of the
first that strove for that flat transition. You can tell by how the
back of the hood is diagonal, like it wants to follow the curve of the
bar. When I talked about "old levers" I was thinking more about Mafacs
and mid-80s Dia-Compes, whose hoods are straight up and down in the
back.

On Jan 11, 2:18 pm, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 9:54 am, mtb Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 11, 8:01 am, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > OK, we're both arguing on the same side...the thread title is "Drop
> > > bar shapes for new brake levers," which is where the Ergos come
> > > in...New brake levers assume the flat ramps, which means the C64 is no
> > > longer suitable for modern levers, unlike the Nitto 115.

> > Thanks for all the great posts.

> > I know I wrote for 'bars for new levers', but I now wonder if I can
> > get the flat ramp-lever transition with my old 8 speed dura ace
> > levers?  If, as you suggest the early levers were made for a steep
> > ramp, would that mean I'd need a bar with a near right-angle bend down
> > at the end of the ramp to accommodate the old levers, and get the
> > transition.  Does such  an animal exist?

> > Cheers all

> You'll probably be fine with your ST-7400s, Those were one of the
> first that strove for that flat transition. You can tell by how the
> back of the hood is diagonal, like it wants to follow the curve of the
> bar. When I talked about "old levers" I was thinking more about Mafacs
> and mid-80s Dia-Compes, whose hoods are straight up and down in the
> back.- Hide quoted text -

Good point. I have a pair of CODA bars with a flatter longer ramp,
and a near 160 mm drop. Maybe I'll try those. I'm thinking I'll need
a shorter stem tho with the longer reach.

mtb Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
> I prefer a traditonal rounded (non ergo) bar. Thanks

So did i (ITM shallow drop) until i tried a FRM webbar 32 with
anatomic bend (aluminum version).

Until the FRM i've tried anatomic bends from Ritchey, ITM, Deda, FSA
and didn't like any of them. The bottom flat section was to short for
my hands. The FRM bar is they only anatomic bend i've tried with
sufficient lenght.

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

On Jan 12, 4:18 am, Morten Reippuert Knudsen <[email protected]>
wrote:
> mtb Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I prefer a traditonal rounded (non ergo) bar.  Thanks

> So did i (ITM shallow drop) until i tried a FRM webbar 32 with
> anatomic bend (aluminum version).
>
> Until the FRM i've tried anatomic bends from Ritchey, ITM, Deda, FSA
> and didn't like any of them. The bottom flat section was to short for
> my hands. The FRM bar is they only anatomic bend i've tried with
> sufficient lenght.
>
> --
> Morten Reippuert Knudsen :)                <http://blog.reippuert.dk>
>
> Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

Thanks. They look pretty shallow compared to what I'm used to (mod 66
~160mm drop); yours are 135 mm according to a google search result.
Did you find any deeper ones on your search?

By the way, is that depression in the ramp comfortable? I guess that
would be an argument for carbon bars; that can't be done with aluminum
can it?

mtb Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 4:18 am, Morten Reippuert Knudsen <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> mtb Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > I prefer a traditonal rounded (non ergo) bar.  Thanks

>> So did i (ITM shallow drop) until i tried a FRM webbar 32 with
>> anatomic bend (aluminum version).
>>
>> Until the FRM i've tried anatomic bends from Ritchey, ITM, Deda, FSA
>> and didn't like any of them. The bottom flat section was to short for
>> my hands. The FRM bar is they only anatomic bend i've tried with
>> sufficient lenght.
>>
>> --
>> Morten Reippuert Knudsen :)                <http://blog.reippuert.dk>
>>
>> Merlin Works CR-3/2.5 & Campagnolo Chorus 2007.

> Thanks. They look pretty shallow compared to what I'm used to (mod 66
> ~160mm drop); yours are 135 mm according to a google search result.
> Did you find any deeper ones on your search?

No i specificly looked for a shallow drop, short reach anatmic bend
with a long flat bottom section. However modolo's "classic" sixbend
bend has a 145mm drop.

> By the way, is that depression in the ramp comfortable?

very comftable. i can get a solid grip in two different hand
posittions in the drop. 3 different positions on the top and off
course on top of the hoods.

> guess that
> would be an argument for carbon bars; that can't be done with aluminum
> can it?

Modolo's CURVISSIMA bend looks very nice, and it is available in both
carbon and aluminum. However i couldn't find a shop carrying it in
copenhagen so i havent tried it.