Drop Bear Stalks Australian Riders

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Oyster, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Oyster

    Oyster Guest

    Taken from here-
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/10756663635665765.html

    "Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when a Farmer fired shots at
    a stalking Drop Bear. The riders had been on a 3 day, cross country ride, in N.S.W's Goulburn River
    National Park, when the female of the group first spotted the Drop Bear stalking them.

    "It was the smell I noticed first. It was a horrid, decaying flesh smell. When I turned around to
    see what was causing the smell I saw the Drop Bear hide behind a tree. That was on the first day. It
    stayed with us ever since. It was like it was taunting us. At one stage, it actually grabbed my
    husband but then let him go! We were certain that we were going to die. Luckily we came across the
    Farmer, who fired a couple of shots. It took off at a great speed and we haven't seen it since." The
    couple did not wish to give their name.

    The farmer also wished to remain anonymous but said "You get a lot of the bears around here.
    Tourists have to realise that it's wild country, filled with wild, dangerous animals."

    Tags:

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    "Oyster" <[email protected]> had this to say
    news:[email protected]

    > Taken from here- http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/10756663635665765.html
    >
    > "Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when a Farmer fired shots
    > at a stalking Drop Bear. The riders had been on a 3 day, cross country ride, in N.S.W's Goulburn
    > River National Park, when the female of the group first spotted the Drop Bear stalking them.
    >
    > "It was the smell I noticed first. It was a horrid, decaying flesh smell. When I turned around to
    > see what was causing the smell I saw the Drop Bear hide behind a tree. That was on the first day.
    > It stayed with us ever since. It was like it was taunting us. At one stage, it actually grabbed my
    > husband but then let him go! We were certain that we were going to die. Luckily we came across the
    > Farmer, who fired a couple of shots. It took off at a great speed and we haven't seen it since."
    > The couple did not wish to give their name.
    >
    > The farmer also wished to remain anonymous but said "You get a lot of the bears around here.
    > Tourists have to realise that it's wild country, filled with wild, dangerous animals."

    Hey White, this bear seems to have the Stalking thing down pretty good, perhaps you two could
    compare notes. Hopefully no one will fire a couple of shots in your direction though. (ok, I was
    lying on the last part)

  3. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Oyster wrote:
    > Taken from here- http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/10756663635665765.html
    >
    > "Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when a Farmer fired shots
    > at a stalking Drop Bear. The riders had been on a 3 day, cross country ride, in N.S.W's Goulburn
    > River National Park, when the female of the group first spotted the Drop Bear stalking them.
    >
    > "It was the smell I noticed first. It was a horrid, decaying flesh smell. When I turned around to
    > see what was causing the smell I saw the Drop Bear hide behind a tree. That was on the first day.
    > It stayed with us ever since. It was like it was taunting us. At one stage, it actually grabbed my
    > husband but then let him go! We were certain that we were going to die. Luckily we came across the
    > Farmer, who fired a couple of shots. It took off at a great speed and we haven't seen it since."
    > The couple did not wish to give their name.
    >
    > The farmer also wished to remain anonymous but said "You get a lot of the bears around here.
    > Tourists have to realise that it's wild country, filled with wild, dangerous animals."

    Is the Drop Bear common in Australia? I'm curious because when I was backpacking up the East Coast
    of Oz six years ago a couple of us went to one of the Koala Bear parks. The tour guide explained
    about the meaning of the name "Koala" - that it was aborigine for "One who drinks water". A couple
    of nights later as we drunkenly wobbled back to the campsite under the dark gum trees I made up a
    story about the dread "Drop Bear" (or Koala-wola ("the one who drinks blood) of the Australia
    Outback just to wind the girls up. It would lurk in the inky blackness high up in the gum trees and
    silently drop upon it's unsuspecting victim from above. Tiny furry paws would grasp your shoulders
    and neck just before tiny pointy teeth would slice into the jugular vein. It was good humour for a
    week or two that we were together and we used the p[hrase "Watch out for the Drop Bears" as a sort
    of in joke for a while. I had never heard of Drop Bears before. Never have since until today
    either. Curious.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  4. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

  6. Spider1977

    Spider1977 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    > Is the Drop Bear common in Australia?

    Very common, often seen around camp sites, especially the ones frequented by female Scandinavian back packers. Appearances usually result in much merriment on behalf of macho young Australian men. Drop bears are often calmed by the site of an eski full of coldies.;)

  7. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    Oyster wrote:
    > Taken from here- http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/10756663635665765.html
    >
    > "Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when a Farmer fired shots
    > at a stalking Drop Bear.

    So I go googling for "Drop Bear", as I'd never heard of them. Being more of a picture book kinda
    guy I hit google images first and the third line down has a photo that I excitedly click on to see
    one of these creatures. Alas it is merely a bear but concidinkily enough it's on Pete Fagerlins
    site! Small web

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Is the Drop Bear common in Australia?
    >
    > Very, they're more dangerous than the snakes, sharks, spiders and
    crocodiles. Not much good for tourism though.

    Don't forget the "hoop" snake... more dangerous again.. but thankfully in much lower numbers than
    drop bears.

    Be careful out there folks! hippy

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    kantspel <[email protected]> typed:
    > Oyster wrote:
    >> Taken from here- http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/04/10756663635665765.html
    >>
    >> "Two Aussie Mountain Bikers were saved from certain death this morning when a Farmer fired shots
    >> at a stalking Drop Bear.
    >
    > So I go googling for "Drop Bear", as I'd never heard of them. Being more of a picture book kinda
    > guy I hit google images first and the third line down has a photo that I excitedly click on to see
    > one of these creatures. Alas it is merely a bear but concidinkily enough it's on Pete Fagerlins
    > site! Small web

    My googling resulted in this:

    "According to legend, Drop Bears are dangerous creatures that hide in gum trees. You can tell if one
    of them is hiding in a tree by lying on your back beneath the tree and spitting upwards. If the Drop
    Bear is up there, it'll spit back. "

    Mike - y'all come to Virginia for a snipe hunt sometime. ;^)