"drop-in" gas range sought

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by John B, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. John B

    John B Guest

    Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
    30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
    replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
    range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
    the kitchen. Gas is already there.

    Tags:

  2. Noon-Air

    Noon-Air Guest

    Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
    > 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
    > replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
    > range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
    > the kitchen. Gas is already there.

  3. willshak

    willshak Guest

    On 2/15/2005 11:12 AM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the
    following:

    >Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
    >30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
    >replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
    >range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
    >the kitchen. Gas is already there.

    Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?
    I have a Sears Kenmore (made by Roper) gas range/oven combo that is 30"
    wide. It's about 20 years old.

    --
    Bill

  4. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
    > 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
    > replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
    > range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
    > the kitchen. Gas is already there.

    I think you want to look for a "slide in" range. Most everyone makes one.
    I have a dual fuel Jenn Air, but I know it comes in all gas. Here are some
    examples:
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=slide+in+gas+range

  5. John B

    John B Guest

    Range/oven combo.

    "willshak" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?

  6. John B

    John B Guest

    No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
    for. Thank you for your reply, however.

  7. "Noon-Air" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

    Not that simple if you check. Electric, yes, but gas, no.
    The OP may have to change cabinets and go to a slide in or free standing.

  8. George

    George Guest

    John B wrote:
    > No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
    > for. Thank you for your reply, however.

    Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

  9. John B wrote:

    > No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
    > for. Thank you for your reply, however.

    Start w/ manufacturers' -- may have to have one ordered rather than find
    in stock and probably not at the Borg...but, I don't know specifically
    whether there's one specifically like what you have now or not, but
    that's where I'd start.

  10. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
    > 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
    > replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
    > range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
    > the kitchen. Gas is already there.

    http://caraudiovideosystems.com/acf3325aw.html

    Dimitri

    AMANA ACF3325AW WHITE GAS RANGE
    5.1 CUBIC FEET

    Model ACF3325A
    Self Clean Gas Range

    5.1 cu. ft. Self-Cleaning Oven with Automatic Latch
    Upswept Cooktop Design
    Industry Exclusive Upfront Simmer Burner
    Bar Broiling System
    Delay Bake and Delay Self-Clean
    Two Oven Racks with Six Positions
    Porcelain Broiler Pan and Grid
    Auto/Manual Interior Oven Light
    Removable Full-Width Storage Drawer
    Removable Counterbalanced Glass Oven Door
    Knob Range Control with clock/timer
    Exclusive High Performance Sealed Gas Burners:
    12,000 BTU
    9,700 BTU (2)
    5,000 BTU
    Cast Iron Burner Grates
    Extra Extra Large Viewing Window
    Dimensions inches
    Height 46 1/2''
    Width 30''
    Depth 28 1/4''

    Colors:
    White on White ACF3325AW
    Black on Black ACF3325AB
    Bisque on Bisque ACF3325AC
    Stainless Steel ACF3325AS

  11. John B

    John B Guest

    Edwin's intuition, as is the case so often, is right on target. And I am
    opposed to such modifications.

  12. John B

    John B Guest

  13. John B

    John B Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
    A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of
    perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in the
    model.
    As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
    installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
    accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks down
    near the floor.
    A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between surrounding
    cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.
    The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This would
    have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions are
    suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range.
    I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family members
    who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack the
    kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will
    dispell this threat.
    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > John B wrote:
    > > No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
    > > for. Thank you for your reply, however.
    > >

    > Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

  14. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
    > A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of
    > perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in

    the
    > model.
    > As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
    > installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
    > accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks

    down
    > near the floor.
    > A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between

    surrounding
    > cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.
    > The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This

    would
    > have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions are
    > suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range.
    > I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family

    members
    > who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack the
    > kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will
    > dispell this threat.

    Have you looked into having the existing range refurbished?

  15. John B

    John B Guest

    Good point. That was my first position. However, I am relying on others
    who claim that the repair parts are unavailable. But thank you for
    reminding me of this concept.
    The thermostat is shot. I put a thermometer in the oven and watched it go
    well beyond the temperature prescribed at the user interface. The oven
    burner doesn't always light promptly, giving fear of explosion. The top
    needs a paint job.

    "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
    > > A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of
    > > perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in

    > the
    > > model.
    > > As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
    > > installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
    > > accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks

    > down
    > > near the floor.
    > > A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between

    > surrounding
    > > cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.
    > > The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This

    > would
    > > have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions

    are
    > > suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range.
    > > I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family

    > members
    > > who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack

    the
    > > kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will
    > > dispell this threat.

    > Have you looked into having the existing range refurbished?

  16. aem

    aem Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
    > A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height

    of
    > perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included

    in the
    > model.
    > As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
    > installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
    > accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on

    blocks down
    > near the floor.
    > A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between

    surrounding
    > cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.

    In a different thread there's a company called Bluestar, which calls
    its products "cooktops." Check out their website--several sizes and
    options. Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
    electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

    -aem

  17. John B

    John B Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there. They
    all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial kitchen,
    or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment.
    There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for
    oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.
    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
    > electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

    No, there is no room for this.

  18. aem

    aem Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate

    there. They
    > all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial

    kitchen,
    > or rich man's personal kitchen.

    Not sure where you looked, but those shown here are clearly drop-ins,
    not free standing: http://www.prizer-painter.com/pages/cooktop.html

    I think they are expensive, though.

    -aem

  19. Noon-Air

    Noon-Air Guest

    "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there.
    > They
    > all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial
    > kitchen,
    > or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment.
    > There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for
    > oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.
    > "aem" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
    >> electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

    > No, there is no room for this.

    The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is nothing
    more than a sawzall

  20. John B

    John B Guest

    I think you are referring to the cook tops. I need an entire range/oven
    combo as drop-in unit.
    If you know of that, can you please provide a more specific link?
    I think the cost is significant, but of secondary importance.
    Thanks!

    news:[email protected]