"drop-in" gas range sought

John B

Guest
Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
the kitchen. Gas is already there.

Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
> 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
> replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
> range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
> the kitchen. Gas is already there.

On 2/15/2005 11:12 AM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

>Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
>30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
>replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
>range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
>the kitchen. Gas is already there.

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo?
I have a Sears Kenmore (made by Roper) gas range/oven combo that is 30"
wide. It's about 20 years old.

--
Bill

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
> 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
> replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
> range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
> the kitchen. Gas is already there.

I think you want to look for a "slide in" range. Most everyone makes one.
I have a dual fuel Jenn Air, but I know it comes in all gas. Here are some
examples:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=slide+in+gas+range

No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
for. Thank you for your reply, however.

"Noon-Air" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

Not that simple if you check. Electric, yes, but gas, no.
The OP may have to change cabinets and go to a slide in or free standing.

John B wrote:
> No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
> for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

John B wrote:

> No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
> for. Thank you for your reply, however.

Start w/ manufacturers' -- may have to have one ordered rather than find
in stock and probably not at the Borg...but, I don't know specifically
whether there's one specifically like what you have now or not, but
that's where I'd start.

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in"
> 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a
> replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric
> range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at
> the kitchen. Gas is already there.

http://caraudiovideosystems.com/acf3325aw.html

Dimitri

AMANA ACF3325AW WHITE GAS RANGE
5.1 CUBIC FEET

Model ACF3325A
Self Clean Gas Range

5.1 cu. ft. Self-Cleaning Oven with Automatic Latch
Upswept Cooktop Design
Industry Exclusive Upfront Simmer Burner
Bar Broiling System
Delay Bake and Delay Self-Clean
Two Oven Racks with Six Positions
Porcelain Broiler Pan and Grid
Auto/Manual Interior Oven Light
Removable Full-Width Storage Drawer
Removable Counterbalanced Glass Oven Door
Knob Range Control with clock/timer
Exclusive High Performance Sealed Gas Burners:
12,000 BTU
9,700 BTU (2)
5,000 BTU
Cast Iron Burner Grates
Extra Extra Large Viewing Window
Dimensions inches
Height 46 1/2''
Width 30''
Depth 28 1/4''

Colors:
White on White ACF3325AW
Black on Black ACF3325AB
Bisque on Bisque ACF3325AC
Stainless Steel ACF3325AS

Edwin's intuition, as is the case so often, is right on target. And I am
opposed to such modifications.

Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of
perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in the
model.
As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks down
near the floor.
A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between surrounding
cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.
The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This would
have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions are
suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range.
I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family members
who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack the
kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will
dispell this threat.
"George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John B wrote:
> > No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking
> > for. Thank you for your reply, however.
> >

> Out of curiousity why is a "slide-in" version not suitable?

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
> A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of
> perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in

the
> model.
> As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
> installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
> accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks

down
> near the floor.
> A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between

surrounding
> cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.
> The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This

would
> have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions are
> suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range.
> I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family

members
> who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack the
> kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will
> dispell this threat.

Have you looked into having the existing range refurbished?

Good point. That was my first position. However, I am relying on others
who claim that the repair parts are unavailable. But thank you for
reminding me of this concept.
The thermostat is shot. I put a thermometer in the oven and watched it go
well beyond the temperature prescribed at the user interface. The oven
burner doesn't always light promptly, giving fear of explosion. The top
needs a paint job.

news:[email protected]...

John B wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski got it right.
> A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height

of
> perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included

in the
> model.
> As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is
> installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this
> accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on

blocks down
> near the floor.
> A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between

surrounding
> cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap.

In a different thread there's a company called Bluestar, which calls
its products "cooktops." Check out their website--several sizes and
options. Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

-aem

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there. They
all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial kitchen,
or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment.
There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for
oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.
"aem" <[email protected]> wrote

> Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
> electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

No, there is no room for this.

John B wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate

there. They
> all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial

kitchen,
> or rich man's personal kitchen.

Not sure where you looked, but those shown here are clearly drop-ins,
not free standing: http://www.prizer-painter.com/pages/cooktop.html

I think they are expensive, though.

-aem

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see anything appropriate there.
> They
> all appear to be "free-standing," and expensive...as in commercial
> kitchen,
> or rich man's personal kitchen. This is for a modest apartment.
> There is no existing electric service in the kitchen, sufficient for
> oven-type equipment. Clocks, toaster, etc. OK.
> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate
>> electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.

> No, there is no room for this.

The difference between the drop-in and the free standing ranges is nothing
more than a sawzall

I think you are referring to the cook tops. I need an entire range/oven
combo as drop-in unit.
If you know of that, can you please provide a more specific link?
I think the cost is significant, but of secondary importance.
Thanks!

news:[email protected]...