Drop Or Flat

kana_marie

Mar 24, 2015
I only ride on the road right now, no offroading at all. How much of a difference does it make if i have drop or flat handlebars? Is one of them better for your back than the other?

You can ride a drop bar in the same way as a flat bar.

But you also have 2 extra positions, a semi-aero one, holding the handllebar from the hoods of the brakes, and a more aero one holding the handlebar from the drops.

Brifters - Shifters-brake lever combinations, are expensive for drop bars. But you can always put stem shifters, or bar end shifters and just have a pair of brake levers.

Drop bars are really really useful when it's windy...

Sorry, I read "really really" as "really only".

Drop bars give you many more hand positions than a flat bar can. In addition to having more wind cheating positions, it allows you to shift your weight distribution around, and lower your center of gravity for more confident maneuvering. By going to the drops, I can shift my weight forward and take some pressure off the back and saddle area.

I find riding in the drops natural and comfortable and necessary to take advantage of any draft from much smaller folk I ride with.

kana_marie said:
I only ride on the road right now, no offroading at all. How much of a difference does it make if i have drop or flat handlebars? Is one of them better for your back than the other?
In my experience, my back is happier when I ride with drops. As someone else has mentioned, drops give you more options to shift your weight around. This translates to less fatigue in certain areas of your back, as the stress is spread out more.

Plus, I like drops because they are usually narrower than my shoulders, so I can weave in and out of tight places easily.