Dropdown handlebars and secondary brake/shifter levers on a mountain bike

Edil

Nov 20, 2003
Installing cyclocross drop down handlebars on a mountain bike should not be a difficult task right?
But wait that’s not all. There are other things that I have saw on other forums and web sites, but I don't know their names. The first one is a second set of brake levers that are located in the upper-straight part of the bars. How those secondary brake levers are called? How are they setup to work in co-existence with the main brake levers? I'm currently using hidraulic disc brakes, Can I still install a secondary set of brake levers? What if I use wire-mechanical disc brakes? I'm willing to change the rear brake type to a V-brake and left the hidraulic disc brake on the front if nesessary.

Following the same principle and questions can I have a second set of shifters?

What I'm looking for is to put a cyclocross drop down bar with integrated break/shifter levers (like Shimano), then install one of those secondary brake levers, on the left side of the handlebar, for the rear tire brake and a secondary shifter lever, on the right side of the handlebar, only for the rear cassette. Can this be accomplished?

What is needed to do that?

Thanks!

boudreaux

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by Edil
Installing cyclocross drop down handlebars on a mountain bike should not be a difficult task right?
But wait that’s not all. There are other things that I have saw on other forums and web sites, but I don't know their names. The first one is a second set of brake levers that are located in the upper-straight part of the bars. How those secondary brake levers are called? How are they setup to work in co-existence with the main brake levers? I'm currently using hidraulic disc brakes, Can I still install a secondary set of brake levers? What if I use wire-mechanical disc brakes? I'm willing to change the rear brake type to a V-brake and left the hidraulic disc brake on the front if nesessary.

Following the same principle and questions can I have a second set of shifters?

What I'm looking for is to put a cyclocross drop down bar with integrated break/shifter levers (like Shimano), then install one of those secondary brake levers, on the left side of the handlebar, for the rear tire brake and a secondary shifter lever, on the right side of the handlebar, only for the rear cassette. Can this be accomplished?

What is needed to do that?

Thanks!
The secondary brake levers work with cables. There are devices that allow two shifters,but it could be tricky with mtb cable routing. www.branfordbike may have it .

ciclistaloco

Oct 12, 2003
Originally posted by boudreaux
The secondary brake levers work with cables. There are devices that allow two shifters,but it could be tricky with mtb cable routing. www.branfordbike may have it .

Those are called cyclocross brake levers. I think shimano makes remote shifters that you put un the handlebar extensions.