Dropout tools: Campy vs Park vs ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Lange, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    I buy lots of yard sale / thrift store bikes and I'm considering purchasing a set of
    dropout spreading/alignment tools. For those with experience with both, is the Campy set
    better than the Park?

    I don't mind spending the extra money for the Campy if it's superior by even just a little. But if
    there's no difference or if the Park is actually preferred, I'll get the Park.

    And what about that Hozan thing? Any others out there to consider? Does VAR make one?

    Thanks,

    -Bruce-

    Tags:

  2. Bruce Lange wrote:
    > I buy lots of yard sale / thrift store bikes and I'm considering purchasing a set of dropout
    > spreading/alignment tools. For those with experience with both, is the Campy set better than
    > the Park?
    >
    > I don't mind spending the extra money for the Campy if it's superior by even just a little. But if
    > there's no difference or if the Park is actually preferred, I'll get the Park.

    Park is the one to get. The Campagnolo set only does 100, 120 & 126 spacing, while the Park is
    adjustable.

    Sheldon "Made In USA" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    | If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough! | --BOB Simon |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I've used my Campagnolo set for aligning dropouts after spreading the rear to 130 and 135mm on
    different frames. You just move washers between inside and outside of the dropouts to get the
    ends together.

    Nick

    > Park is the one to get. The Campagnolo set only does 100, 120 & 126 spacing, while the Park is
    > adjustable.

  4. Capt bike-<< Park is the one to get. The Campagnolo set only does 100, 120 & 126 spacing, while the
    Park is adjustable.

    My Campagnolo ones do all you mention and 130mm....

    ABP, look at Var and Cobra(I think)

  5. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    Has anybody used the VAR or any of these other tools?

    Does anybody have a current VAR tool catalog or know where I can get more info on VAR tools? Also
    Campy tools?

    Thanks, -Bruce-

    > Capt bike-<< Park is the one to get. The Campagnolo set only does 100,
    120 &
    > 126 spacing, while the Park is adjustable.
    >
    > My Campagnolo ones do all you mention and 130mm....
    >
    > ABP, look at Var and Cobra(I think)

  6. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    >My Campagnolo ones do all you mention and 130mm....

    mine too,although.... I had to add some washers to mine to make them work, since I've had them
    since 1980.

  7. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anybody used the VAR or any of these other tools?
    >
    > Does anybody have a current VAR tool catalog or know where I can get more info on VAR tools? Also
    > Campy tools?
    >
    > Thanks, -Bruce-
    >
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Capt bike-<< Park is the one to get. The Campagnolo set only does 100,
    > 120 &
    > > 126 spacing, while the Park is adjustable.
    > >
    > > My Campagnolo ones do all you mention and 130mm....
    > >
    > > ABP, look at Var and Cobra(I think)
    > >

    > > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    www.biketoolsetc.com -- they have quite a few VAR and Campagnolo tools, as well as several other
    manufacturers you don't often see in the usual catalogs.