dropouts

George Me writes:

what dropouts are best vertical or horizontal

For what? Unless you expect to ride without a derailleur and need to adjust chain length by moving
the wheel, there is no better dropout than the vertical kind, the more vertical the better. The
advantages are safety, you don't need to mash the wheel bearings by enormous (anti slip) QR closure,
you don't gouge out the dropout face, the jam nut is supported on the high pressure side...

"geome1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> what dropouts are best vertical or horizontal

Who are more fun, blondes or redheads? Depends.

If you're using a derailleur then go vertical. People screw around to great lengths to run
fixed-length chain in a vertical end bike which is silly IMHO when one might just as well use normal
horizontal ends.

george-<< what dropouts are best vertical or horizontal

Yes.....

Andy-<< Who are more fun, blondes or redheads?

But redheads have such tempers...I like that!!

I assume you're referring to the rear DO's right? I like vertical, but I like to climb a
lot of hills.

In order for them to work right, however, the frame builder has to be sure the frame is perfectly
symetrical and properly aligned or the wheels will not track straight, Which is why you usually only
find them on better built frames, because of the amount of precision needed (I said usually, it's
not a guarantee).

The advantages are that you don't have to align the wheel every time you put it into the frame, and
it won't get pulled ajar if you stomp down hard on the pedals and your QR isn't quite tight enough
to hold up against the added force.

On Fri, 02 May 2003 22:40:36 +0100, geome1 wrote:

> what dropouts are best vertical or horizontal

Unless you want the bike for a fixed-gear, vertical dropouts win hands down.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored _`\(,_ | by little statesmen
and philosophers and divines. --Ralph Waldo (_)/ (_) | Emerson