Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)

On 19 Sep 2003 20:22:44 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:

[snip]

>>Jan, if you want to take issue with anything I say, I would hope you'd have
>>the
>>courage to post any of your rebuttals in a newsgroup where I am likely to see
>>them.

>I did that long ago. Now you are here.

What you posted three years ago does not alter the fact that you have clearly
been trying to engage me in an argument in absentia. In my book, that's
cowardly.

>>I am a bit puzzled by your jab at me, though; after all--you were quite
>>grateful
>>when I helped you with some technical problems a couple of years ago, and
>>granted you permission to repost my white paper, "Surviving Usenet."

>Yes indeed, I still have it. That has nothing whatsoever to do with Ritalin and
>drugging kids.
>
>>Do you believe that anyone holding any different opinions from yours is
>>somehow
>>an enemy? That's sad, if you do.
>>

>>Joe Parsons

>Good Grief. Where did that come from? Adult people can agree and disagree, that
>doesn't mean they are enemies??

My point exactly--but you seem to behave predictably as though anyone who
disagrees with you is, in fact, some sort of enemy.

Now, I don't have any problem with anyone who holds different opinions from
mine. What I do have a problem with is people who try to buttress their
opinions by dishonest means. And that is what you have been doing.

Bob Whelan ("jake") made a claim about the DEA: "ritalin is nearly identical
with cocaine as the DEA says". I asked him--nicely--to show me where the DEA
said that: "Please show me where DEA says "ritalin is nearly identical with
cocaine."

Asking for substantiation is a "trick?" And one from "organized medicine?"

In any case, he wasn't able to substantiate his statement. He did try to
*change* it a bit, but as originally written, he couldn't.

>And speaking of jabs, you certainly do your share.
>
>And why is speaking the truth a jab? What I said to you is a ploy and famous
>reaction from the debunker group.
>
>The fact that you asked where this was on the DHE,

What is "DHE?" Do you mean the DoJ website?

>means, it was there and is
>now taken down. Like I said, we all know why. This is how the debunkers
>operate. The DEA position hasn't changed.

I agree: the DEA position has not changed. But the people (like "Theta") seem
to have no compunction about misstating and/or distorting that position.

Take the text that was represented as a DEA position paper. It is represented
as having originated at DEA. I say it didn't--and it should be a simple matter
to produce a cite of *some* sort to substantiate that it is. That won't happen,
of course, because it never was a DEA document in the first place.

>So your point is moot.

You wish.

Joe Parsons

followups set

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:44:47 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> evidence for this assertion?
>>

>That's rich.
>
>Yet another clown who never provides cites for any of the ludicrous
>assertions he makes requesting others provide him what he doesn't provide.

How did I know that was how you would respond.
Do a search linda and see just how many references I have provided.
Then look at the references you cite and ask yourself why the article
is saying something different than what you say it says.

You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:48:20 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> F Troop <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >The compliance rate amongst people who are prescribed psychotropic drugs

>is
>> >so low, that is a moot point.

>> "Studies report noncompliance rates of 20-65% with stimulant
>> treatment, although there are only limited published studies
>> and these show considerable individual variation."
>> (Swanson, J., "Compliance with stimulants for attention-
>> deficit/hyperactivity disorder: issues and approaches
>> for improviement", CNS Drugs 2003; 17(2): 117-31.)
>>
>> So, FTroop, you're blowing smoke.

>Hardly.
>
>The compliance rate of psychiatric treatments is said to be low relative to
>the 75-90% compliance rate to treatment for physiological conditions.

Do you see the difference between your post and the one you replied
to? Mr. Wright provided a citation. You provide an assertion.

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:40:25 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> >The compliance rate of psychiatric treatments is said to be low relative

>> >the 75-90% compliance rate to treatment for physiological conditions.

>> "Is said to be?" By whom? You? Give me a cite or put a sock in it.

>Do your own research.

That's not how it's done linda. You made the claim. Back it up.

>Why can't people pushing these things admit that treatment of ADHD with
>stimulants might help some people, but at the cost of all the many children
>it puts on a road straight to hell?.

And why can't you provide any evidence of your assertions?

You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:31:18 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What you posted three years ago does not alter the fact that you have clearly
>been trying to engage me in an argument in absentia. In my book, that's
>cowardly.
>
>>>I am a bit puzzled by your jab at me, though; after all--you were quite
>>>grateful
>>>when I helped you with some technical problems a couple of years ago, and
>>>granted you permission to repost my white paper, "Surviving Usenet."

>>Yes indeed, I still have it. That has nothing whatsoever to do with Ritalin and
>>drugging kids.
>>
>>>Do you believe that anyone holding any different opinions from yours is
>>>somehow
>>>an enemy? That's sad, if you do.

why..?

after all its your modus operandi

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame48.html

>>>Joe Parsons

>>Good Grief. Where did that come from? Adult people can agree and disagree, that
>>doesn't mean they are enemies??

>My point exactly--but you seem to behave predictably as though anyone who
>disagrees with you is, in fact, some sort of enemy.

sheesh..a serial cyberstalker coming out with this
LOL

>Now, I don't have any problem with anyone who holds different opinions from
>mine. What I do have a problem with is people who try to buttress their
>opinions by dishonest means. And that is what you have been doing.
>
>Bob Whelan ("jake") made a claim about the DEA: "ritalin is nearly identical
>with cocaine as the DEA says". I asked him--nicely--to show me where the DEA
>said that: "Please show me where DEA says "ritalin is nearly identical with
>cocaine."

Up to your usual weaseling tricks?
hoping that the original exchange was forgotten?

what part of

>>the DEA position statement remains precisely the same
>>
>>In more simplistic terms, this data means that neither animals nor
>>humans can tell the difference between cocaine, amphetamine, or
>>methylphenidate when they are administered the same way at comparable
>>doses. In short, they produce effects that are nearly identical.

do you not understand?

>followups set

follow ups replaced..

hit and run troll tricks eh?

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: Joe Parsons [email protected]
>Date: 9/19/2003 3:58 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On 18 Sep 2003 01:59:22 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:
>
>>>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>>>From: Joe Parsons [email protected]
>>>Date: 9/17/2003 5:36 PM Pacific Standard Time

>>>This is *not* a DEA or DoJ document--contrary to the way it has been
>>>represented.
>>>
>>>Joe Parsons

>>AND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>
>>Your child takes Ritalin.

>Really? Well, Jan, why don't you tell me my child's name? His or her age?
>Dosage? What kinds of medications he or she takes, and since when?

I may have been mistaken, however, I have just read your articles about
Ritalin. You push it, and IMHO you are dead wrong.

<snip>

>I was quite prepared to continue being civil towards you, even ignore you
>again--but here you go again, making wild, irresponsible statements about
>things
>where you have absolutely no knowledge.

See above.

>So tell me, Jan; tell me all about my child and the drugs he or she takes.
>
>Joe Parsons

See above.

You have craved out quite a name for yourself, over there on the other
newsgroup.

Quite interesting. You seem to be a member of organized medicine and
brainwashed.

Your FAQ article is a bunch of bunk.

Do Ritalin manufactures pay you to post?

Jan

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: Joe Parsons [email protected]
>Date: 9/19/2003 4:09 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On 19 Sep 2003 20:06:26 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:
>
>>>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>>>From: Joe Parsons [email protected]
>>>Date: 9/19/2003 8:04 AM Pacific Standard Time

>is
>>>
>>>Please provide a cite for this statement.
>>>
>>>Joe Parsons

>>It's all over the place, look it up.
>>
>>What world are you living in??
>>
>>Read away.
>>
>>http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-01-16-kids-drug_x.htm

>Oh. Right. McPaper (USA Today) as a primary source.

That's correct, they print the news. In the case of Ritalin, *It *ain't purdy*

>Did you bother to read that article, dear heart? If you had, you would have
>learned that it did not substantiate Linda's assertion.

Of course I read it. I replied to Jeff's post.

>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=people+abusing+prescrip
>>tion+drugs&btnG=Google+Search

>Nor does this.

Of course it does.

Prescription Drug Abuse Explodes in America

Americans are abusing prescription drugs more than ever before ... The new
Prescription
Drugs: Abuse and Addiction Research ... approximately 4 million people ages 12
www.health.org/newsroom/rep/168.htm - 53k -

Pick Your Path to Health
.... drugs or you use them as you choose and not as they were prescribed, you
may be one
of the estimated 9 million people abusing prescription drugs in the United ...
www.4woman.gov/pypth/articles/ aa_drug_prescription.html - 16k -

incard.com
.... Also in 1999, four million people were abusing prescription drugs, and half
of them
began using for the first time in that year, suggesting an increase in this ...

www.incard.com/department_article.asp?

Press Releases
.... Abuse of prescription drugs is rising rapidly in the ... 12 to 17 had used
prescription
medications non ... attention on the dangers of abusing prescription
medications ...
www.samhsa.gov/news/newsreleases/030116nr_rx.htm - 23k

CBS News | Kids' Abuse Of Prescription Drugs Up | January 16, ...
.... (AP) A growing number of teenagers and young adults are abusing
prescription drugs,
a government ... In 2001, nearly 3 million young people, age 12 to 17, reported
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/ 16/health/main536752.shtml - 34k

Jan Drew

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: [email protected] (Jan)
>Date: 9/19/2003 12:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement

you obviously didn't read this post..

>>People abuse dextromethrophan, too, by drinking cough syrup -- some people

oh...so now we add cough syrup to the things you want banned...it is also
abused in kids..

what would you do with your preschoolers??
hawki

In article <[email protected]>,
F Troop <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> >The compliance rate of psychiatric treatments is said to be low relative

>> >the 75-90% compliance rate to treatment for physiological conditions.

>> "Is said to be?" By whom? You? Give me a cite or put a sock in it.

>Do your own research.

Thanks. I didn't think you could do it, and you've proved me right.
I did search PubMed, but didn't find much. No doubt you, with your
godlike skills and knowledge, can crank out a few cites in no time.
[Hhahahaha. I slay me sometimes.]

>> Hardly. "Up to 65%". Or maybe it's 20%. You don't know and neither
>> do I. Nobody knows. So your claim of "most" is baseless.

>Oh I get it.
>
>You are one of those crackpots who make up both sides of the dialogue
>because that is the only way you can be right.
>
>You lose.

You have been able to cite no studies. All you do is make
assertions. Since I have no reason to accept your assertions,
nothing you've said is at all convincing.

>A poster sought to dismiss the danger of the addictive properties of
>Ritalin by suggesting it's safe when taken as prescribed, when that
>doesn't make prescribing less dangerous because not all people take
>it as prescribed.

And nobody should drink alcohol because some people abuse it. Your
argument does not hold up.

>Why can't people pushing these things admit that treatment of ADHD
>with stimulants might help some people, but at the cost of all the
>many children it puts on a road straight to hell?.

Since there's now evidence that children treated with ritalin are much
less likely to become drug abusers later in life than those untreated,
exactly who are we protecting from what?

>The psycho-pharmacology lottery with a few winners, and lot's of
>losers.

There you go again, with the "lots" [note spelling], once again giving
nothing to back it up.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

On 20 Sep 2003 01:00:27 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:

>>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>>From: Joe Parsons [email protected]
>>Date: 9/19/2003 3:58 PM Pacific Standard Time

>>>AND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>>
>>>Your child takes Ritalin.

>>Really? Well, Jan, why don't you tell me my child's name? His or her age?
>>Dosage? What kinds of medications he or she takes, and since when?

>I may have been mistaken, however, I have just read your articles about
>Ritalin. You push it, and IMHO you are dead wrong.

Oh, yes, Jan; you are indeed mistaken about this--and about so many other
things. But it's good that you recognize that you were just talking out
your...hat. That may be a start.

But why don't you show me where I am "pushing" any medication? Please do not
try to conflate my efforts to bring facts to the table with respect to the
diagnosis, treatment and management of ADHD with "pushing" or promoting.

><snip>
>
>>I was quite prepared to continue being civil towards you, even ignore you
>>again--but here you go again, making wild, irresponsible statements about
>>things
>>where you have absolutely no knowledge.

>See above.
>
>>So tell me, Jan; tell me all about my child and the drugs he or she takes.
>>
>>Joe Parsons

>See above.
>
>You have craved out quite a name for yourself, over there on the other
>newsgroup.

Yeah...the hosiery drawer just *loves* me. They CRAVE me, even.

>Quite interesting. You seem to be a member of organized medicine and
>brainwashed.

I must have dozed off the day they awarded me my M.D.

>Your FAQ article is a bunch of bunk.

Okay, Jan. You've made an assertion. Now let's see if you have the spine to
stand by it. Show me anything in that document that is substantively "bunk." I
will concede that I did have one dead link, you pointed it out, and I'll fix it.

Anything else? Anything substantive?

>Do Ritalin manufactures pay you to post?

Ah! I was just *waiting* for this one! What took you so long?

Joe Parsons

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote
> > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
> > cocaine as the DEA says?

> It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the effects
to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics makes
the drugs very different.

Jeff

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
> > > cocaine as the DEA says?

> > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

> Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
> cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

effects
> to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics

makes
> the drugs very different.

Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

>From: [email protected] (David Wright)
>Date: 9/19/2003 6:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

<snip>

>Since there's now evidence that children treated with ritalin are much
>less likely to become drug abusers later in life than those untreated,
>exactly who are we protecting from what?

No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist. They added the
untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
stronger drugs, and become addicted.

Jan

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:32:24 GMT, [email protected] (David
Wright) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
>>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
>>> cocaine as the DEA says?

>>It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

>And yet another oracular pronouncement from Roger. How about some
>chemical formulas for each substance, just for starters?

Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
wrong.

Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.

This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated ********
that MMR contains thimerosal.

Roger and Jake, please look:

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html

Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.

Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
identical, huh?

http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

PF

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: "Jeff" [email protected]
>Date: 9/19/2003 7:49 PM Pacific Standard Time
>

>"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
>> > cocaine as the DEA says?

>> It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.
>>

>Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
>cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the effects
>to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics makes
>the drugs very different.
>
>Jeff

http://www.mercola.com/2001/sep/26/ritalin.htm

Ritalin is More Potent Than Cocaine

By Jean West

The children's drug Ritalin has a more potent effect on the brain than cocaine.

Using brain imaging, scientists have found that, in pill form, Ritalin - taken
by thousands of British children and four million in the United States -
occupies more of the neural transporters responsible for the 'high' experienced
by addicts than smoked or injected cocaine. The research may alarm parents
whose children have been prescribed Ritalin as a solution to Attention Deficit
Hyperactive Disorder.

The study was commissioned to understand more about why Ritalin - which has the
same pharmacological profile as cocaine - is effective in calming children and
helping them concentrate, while cocaine produces an intense 'high' and is
powerfully addictive.

In oral form, Ritalin did not induce this intense psychological 'hit'. But Dr
Nora Volkow, psychiatrist and imaging expert at Brookhaven National Laboratory,
in Upton, New York, who led the study, said that injected into the veins as a
liquid rather than taken as a pill, it produced a rush that 'addicts like very
much'.

Interviewed in last week's Journal of the American Medical Association
newsletter, she said: 'They say it's like cocaine.'

Even in pill form, Ritalin blocked far more of the brain transporters that
affect mood change and had a greater potency in the brain than cocaine.
Researchers were shocked by this finding.

A normal dose administered to children blocked 70 per cent of the dopamine
transporters. 'The data clearly show the notion that Ritalin is a weak
stimulant is completely incorrect,' said Volkow. Cocaine is known to block
around 50 per cent of these transporters, leaving a surfeit of dopamine in the
system, which is responsible for the hit addicts crave.

But now it is known that Ritalin blocks 20 percent more of these
auto-receptors.

'I've been almost obsessed about trying to understand [Ritalin] with imaging,'
said Volkow. 'As a psychiatrist I sometimes feel embarrassed [about the lack of
knowledge] because this is by far the drug we prescribe most frequently to
children.'

However, it was still not clear why a drug that has been administered for more
than 40 years was not producing an army of addicted schoolchildren. Volkow and
her team concluded that this was due to the much slower process of oral
ingestion.

It takes around an hour for Ritalin in pill form to raise dopamine levels in
the brain. Smoked or injected, cocaine does this in seconds.

Dr. Joanna Fowler, who worked with Volkow on the project, said: 'All drugs that
are abused by humans release large quantities of dopamine. But dopamine is also
necessary for people to be able to pay attention and filter out other
distractions.'

But opponents of Ritalin, labeled a 'wonder drug' and a 'chemical cosh',
believe it may be addictive and has dangerous side-effects. Moreover, many
believe ADHD is a fraudulent title for a non-existent condition once put down
to the exuberance of youth.

Professor Steve Baldwin, a child psychologist from Teesside University, who
died this year in the Selby rail crash, campaigned against Ritalin. He pointed
out similarities between the drug and amphetamines as well as cocaine.

Mandy Smith of Banff in Scotland has a son of eight who was prescribed Ritalin
for nine months. 'I am astonished the British Government have allowed this drug
to be prescribed,' she said. 'It can destroy people's lives. My son was a
changed person when he took Ritalin. He was suicidal and depressed.'

Janice Hill, of the Overload Support Network, a charity for parents of children
with behavioral problems, said: 'Now we have thousands of children in Scotland
taking a drug that is more potent than cocaine. What does it take before the
situation is thoroughly investigated?'

The Observer September 9, 2001

Jan

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:32:24 GMT, [email protected] (David
>Wright) wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote
>>>
>>>It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

>>And yet another oracular pronouncement from Roger. How about some
>>chemical formulas for each substance, just for starters?

>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
>wrong.
>
>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
>
>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated ********
>that MMR contains thimerosal.
>
>Roger and Jake, please look:
>
>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
>
>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
>
>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
>identical, huh?
>
>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
the*effects* are nearly identical

what part of this do you not understand?

>In more simplistic terms, this data means that neither animals nor
>>humans can tell the difference between cocaine, amphetamine, or
>>methylphenidate when they are administered the same way at comparable
>>doses. In short, they produce effects that are nearly identical.

despite all the weaseling and red herrings thrown up, this remains the
DEA position.

>From: [email protected] (PF

Now that you are done calling people idiots. Take a look at this.

http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php

Ritalin Addiction
Ritalin addiction is a very serious and sometimes life threatening dilemma. Not
only is it difficult for the addict, it is extremely hard on those around them
who care about them. For the addict, admitting they have an addiction problem
can be difficult. However painful this may be, it must be acknowledged as the
first gradient to overcoming the problem. The next hurdle is being willing to
seek & accept help from an addiction professional. It can be hard for an addict
to confront the fact that they can not do it alone. Once this fact is accepted,
it is time to seek the appropriate professional treatment. Drug rehab programs
based on the social education modality are highly successful. This means that
individuals who are recovering from Ritalin addiction are not made wrong for
their past indiscretions, but are taught how to avoid future ones. They are
provided with knowledge on how to change their lives and how to live
comfortably without Ritalin. Receiving treatment for addiction should be done
in a safe & stable environment that is conducive to addiction recovery.
Research studies show that residential treatment programs of at least 3 months
in duration have the best success rates. 3 months may seem like a long time,
but one day in the life of an individual addicted to Ritalin can feel like an
eternity. Addiction is a self imposed hellish slavery. The chains can be broken
people do it everyday. You can be free!

Drug rehabilitation is a multi-phase, multi-faceted, long term process.
Detoxification is only the first step on the road of addiction treatment.
Physical detoxification alone is not sufficient to change the patterns of a
drug addict. Recovery from addiction involves an extended process which usually
requires the help of drug addiction professionals. To make a successful
recovery, the addict needs new tools in order to deal with situations and
problems which arise. Factors such as encountering someone from their days of
using, returning to the same environment and places, or even small things such
as smells and objects trigger memories which can create psychological stress.
This can hinder the addict's goal of complete recovery, thus not allowing the
addict to permanently regain control of his or her life.

Almost all addicts tell themselves in the beginning that they can conquer their
addiction on their own without the help of outside resources. Unfortunately,
this is not usually the case. When an addict makes an attempt at detoxification
and to discontinue drug use without the aid of professional help, statistically
the results do not last long. Research into the effects of long-term addiction
has shown that substantial changes in the way the brain functions are present
long after the addict has stopped using drugs. Realizing that a drug addict who
wishes to recover from their addiction needs more than just strong will power
is the key to a successful recovery. Battling not only cravings for their drug
of choice, re-stimulation of their past and changes in the way their brain
functions, it is no wonder that quitting drugs without professional help is an
uphill battle.

As an organization we are dedicated to finding the correct solution for your
specific addiction problem. Our referral list contains over 3,000 resources
which encompass the following treatment categories :

Ritalin Detox Center
Ritalin Rehab
Ritalin Treatment
Ritalin Addiction Treatment
Ritalin Addiction Counseling
Meetings
Ritalin In-Patient Treatment
Ritalin Out-Patient Treatment

In 1990, 900,000 American kids were on Ritalin. Today some estimate the total
number of children on Ritalin has increased to 4 - 5 million or more per year
America now uses 90% of the world's Ritalin - more than five times the rest of
the world combined.
Emergency room visits by children ages 10-14 involving Ritalin intoxication
have now reached the same level as those for cocaine which indicates escalating
abuse of this highly addictive drug.
80% of children on Ritalin are boys.

------

Q) What is Ritalin?

A) Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar to
amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed that it
works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected it
has a strong stimulant effect. Ritalin is manufactured by CIBA-Geigy
Corporation, and is supplied in 5 mg., 10 mg., and 20 mg. tablets, and in a
sustained release form, Ritalin SR as 20 mg. tablets. It is readily water
soluble and is intended for oral use. It is a Schedule II Controlled Substance
under both the federal and Indiana Controlled Substances Acts. Since Ritalin is
a Schedule II Controlled Substance, the federal government strictly regulates
the amount that may be manufactured, through a system of rigid manufacturing
quotas.

------

Q) How is Ritalin used?

A) When abused, Ritalin tablets are taken orally, crushed and then snorted, or
dissolved in water and "cooked" for intravenous injection.
There are numerous reports in medical journals about permanent and irreversible
lung tissue damage related to injection of crushed Ritalin tablets.

In order to make the 5- to 20 mg. dose tablets large enough to handle easily,
at least 100 mg. of "inert ingredients" are added to the tablets to increase
their size. Depending upon size and formulation, the following inert
ingredients are found in Ritalin tablets, according to the manufacturer:
lactose, starch, polyethelene glycol, magnesium stearate, sucrose, talc,
cellulose, mineral oil, and various dyes and conditioning agents. While these
ingredients are "inert" when taken by mouth, they can cause serious problems
when injected or snorted.

Health Consequences of Intravenous and/or Injection Drug Use
The hypodermic syringe was designed to deliver a concentrated dose of a drug
quickly and efficiently. In doing so, it bypasses many of the body's natural
defense mechanisms such as the skin, respiratory cilia, digestive acids, etc.
The syringe allows anything in it (drugs, dust, bacteria, pollen, allergens,
yeasts, viruses, fillers, etc.) to pass directly into the blood and body
tissues. The rapid delivery of drugs via injection makes it difficult for the
user to control the intensity of the drug effect, thus making toxic overdoses
more likely.
When drugs are prepared for injection by a street user, dust, dirt, and other
contaminants fall into the liquid. Bacteria, talc, lint, and other particles
are injected along with the drug. The "inert ingredients" that manufacturers
include to increase the bulk may be harmless when taken by mouth, but talc,
cellulose, mineral oil, and sugars (among other fillers) can create serious
problems when injected directly into veins or body tissues. Complications from
injection drug use include:
drug overdoses and toxic overdose reactions
blood clots from scar tissue, particles in the liquid, cotton and lint fibers,
etc.
infections ("blood poisoning," abscesses, hepatitis, AIDS, etc.)
scars ("tracks" and adhesions)
pulmonary problems ("addict's lung," embolisms, etc.)
skin and circulatory problems

Health consequences of Snorting Drugs (Intranasal Insufflation)
The delicate epithelial tissues that line the nasal cavities and air passages
may be damaged by direct contact with drugs. Ritalin tablets contain the
hydrochloride salt of methylphenidate and yield dilute hydrochloric acid when
they come into contact with moisture. While this is not a problem in the
stomach (hydrochloric acid is one of the digestive acids used in the stomach),
in the nasal passages the acid can "burn" the delicate nasal tissues, resulting
in open sores, nose bleeds, and possibly in deterioration of the nasal
cartilage.

------

Q) What are the side effects of Ritalin?

A) The side effects of Ritalin addiction include but are not limited to:

drug addiction
nervousness and insomnia
loss of appetite
nausea and vomiting
dizziness
headaches
changes in heart rate and blood pressure (usually elevation of both, but
occasionally depression)
skin rashes and itching
abdominal pain
weight loss
digestive problems
toxic psychosis
psychotic episodes
severe depression upon withdrawal
High doses of stimulants produce a predictable set of symptoms that include:

loss of appetite (may cause serious malnutrition)
tremors and muscle twitching
fevers, convulsions, and headaches (may be severe)
irregular heartbeat and respiration (may be profound and life threatening)
anxiety, restlessness
paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions
excessive repetition of movements and meaningless tasks
formicaton (sensation of bugs or worms crawling under the skin)
While death due to non-medical use of Ritalin is not common, it has been known
to occur.

------

Q) What are the symptoms of Ritalin overdose?

A) Symptoms of Ritalin overdose may include: Agitation, confusion, convulsions
(may be followed by coma), delirium, dryness of mucous membranes, enlarging of
the pupil of the eye, exaggerated feeling of elation, extremely elevated body
temperature, flushing, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure, irregular
or rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching, sweating, tremors, vomiting.

A growing number of youngsters taking the drug Ritalin® (methylphenidate)
experience overdose, researchers report. The study looked at the frequency of
Ritalin overdose cases reported to a regional poison control center in Detroit.
Children ages 6 to 9 years were at the greatest risk of overdose, compared with
other age groups. Over a two-year period, 289 cases were reported. Of these,
31% developed symptoms. Most common adverse effects included tachycardia,
agitation and lethargy. Most cases were due to parents or caregivers
unintentionally giving patients excessive amounts of the drug

On 20 Sep 2003 05:08:03 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:

> [...]

>to the exuberance of youth.
>
>Professor Steve Baldwin, a child psychologist from Teesside University, who
>died this year in the Selby rail crash, campaigned against Ritalin. He pointed
>out similarities between the drug and amphetamines as well as cocaine.
>
>Mandy Smith of Banff in Scotland has a son of eight who was prescribed Ritalin
>for nine months. 'I am astonished the British Government have allowed this drug
>to be prescribed,' she said. 'It can destroy people's lives. My son was a
>changed person when he took Ritalin. He was suicidal and depressed.'
>
>Janice Hill, of the Overload Support Network, a charity for parents of children
>with behavioral problems, said: 'Now we have thousands of children in Scotland
>taking a drug that is more potent than cocaine. What does it take before the

a intersting and informative article Jan.
Thank you for posting it

On 20 Sep 2003 05:11:44 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:

> [...]

>the pupil of the eye, exaggerated feeling of elation, extremely elevated body
>temperature, flushing, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure, irregular
>or rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching, sweating, tremors, vomiting.
>
>A growing number of youngsters taking the drug Ritalin® (methylphenidate)
>experience overdose, researchers report. The study looked at the frequency of
>Ritalin overdose cases reported to a regional poison control center in Detroit.
>Children ages 6 to 9 years were at the greatest risk of overdose, compared with
>other age groups. Over a two-year period, 289 cases were reported. Of these,
>31% developed symptoms. Most common adverse effects included tachycardia,
>agitation and lethargy. Most cases were due to parents or caregivers
>unintentionally giving patients excessive amounts of the drug

prhaps this should be incorporated in Joe Parson's "FAQ" ???

> [...]

>>out similarities between the drug and amphetamines as well as cocaine.
>>
>>Mandy Smith of Banff in Scotland has a son of eight who was prescribed

>Ritalin
>>for nine months. 'I am astonished the British Government have allowed this

>drug
>>to be prescribed,' she said. 'It can destroy people's lives. My son was a
>>changed person when he took Ritalin. He was suicidal and depressed.'
>>
>>Janice Hill, of the Overload Support Network, a charity for parents of

>children
>>with behavioral problems, said: 'Now we have thousands of children in

>Scotland
>>taking a drug that is more potent than cocaine. What does it take before the
>>situation is thoroughly investigated?'
>>
>>The Observer September 9, 2001

>a intersting and informative article Jan.

My pleasure. You are most welcome.