Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)

> [...]

>>in the nasal passages the acid can "burn" the delicate nasal tissues,

>resulting
>>in open sores, nose bleeds, and possibly in deterioration of the nasal
>>cartilage.

>>------
>>
>>Q) What are the side effects of Ritalin?
>>
>>A) The side effects of Ritalin addiction include but are not limited to:
>>
>>drug addiction
>>nervousness and insomnia
>>loss of appetite
>>nausea and vomiting
>>dizziness
>>headaches
>>changes in heart rate and blood pressure (usually elevation of both, but
>>occasionally depression)
>>skin rashes and itching
>>abdominal pain
>>weight loss
>>digestive problems
>>toxic psychosis
>>psychotic episodes
>>severe depression upon withdrawal
>>High doses of stimulants produce a predictable set of symptoms that include:

>>loss of appetite (may cause serious malnutrition)
>>tremors and muscle twitching
>>fevers, convulsions, and headaches (may be severe)
>>irregular heartbeat and respiration (may be profound and life threatening)
>>anxiety, restlessness
>>paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions
>>excessive repetition of movements and meaningless tasks
>>formicaton (sensation of bugs or worms crawling under the skin)
>>While death due to non-medical use of Ritalin is not common, it has been

>known
>>to occur.

>>------
>>
>>Q) What are the symptoms of Ritalin overdose?
>>
>>A) Symptoms of Ritalin overdose may include: Agitation, confusion,

>convulsions
>>(may be followed by coma), delirium, dryness of mucous membranes, enlarging

>of
>>the pupil of the eye, exaggerated feeling of elation, extremely elevated

>body
>>temperature, flushing, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure,

>irregular
>>or rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching, sweating, tremors, vomiting.
>>
>>A growing number of youngsters taking the drug Ritalin® (methylphenidate)
>>experience overdose, researchers report. The study looked at the frequency

>of
>>Ritalin overdose cases reported to a regional poison control center in

>Detroit.
>>Children ages 6 to 9 years were at the greatest risk of overdose, compared

>with
>>other age groups. Over a two-year period, 289 cases were reported. Of these,
>>31% developed symptoms. Most common adverse effects included tachycardia,
>>agitation and lethargy. Most cases were due to parents or caregivers
>>unintentionally giving patients excessive amounts of the drug

>prhaps this should be incorporated in Joe Parson's "FAQ" ???

Like I said, I'll wager these people know more about it than Joe.

Jan

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: [email protected] (Jan)
>Date: 9/19/2003 8:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>

>No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist. They added the
>untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
>stronger drugs, and become addicted.

no Janny ...it was all there in the article YOU posted....

go read it ......it saiddd those NOT TREATED (those of us who know how to
extrapolate read that the first time..you on the other hand....even from YOUR
article still don't get it...)

sad that

hawki

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: [email protected] (Jan)
>Date: 9/19/2003 2:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time

do you know how to read??am beginning to wonder

>Report: More young people abusing prescription drugs
>WASHINGTON (AP) — A growing number of teenagers and young adults are abusing
>prescription drugs, a governm

abusing abusing abusing abusing...

NOT taking it as prescribed is abusing...

>In 2001, nearly 3 million young people, age 12 to 17, reported that they had
>used prescription drugs for non-medical reasons at least on

this is abuse...

..>Abuse of prescription drugs can lead to addiction, misdiagnosis of serious
>illness, life-threatening circumstances and even death

this is abuse........which may lead to addiction...

>teady, significant rise in visits for opiate abuse since 1994.

hmmm...opiates?? ritalin is not an opiate...or did you even know that?? dumb
question

>largest increases were found in abuse of oxycodone, methadone and morphine.

see Ritalin in that list??? I don't....so

>That includes people who took a drug that had not been prescribed for them
>and
>those who took drugs only for the experience or feeling they cause

this is abuse

>number
>misusing pain relievers climbed from about 400,000 then to 2 million in 2000.

pain relievers...hmmm do you think Ritalin is a pain reliever?? a narcotic?? an
opiate..or don't you know the difference

thought not
hawki

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:17:43 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:18:31 GMT, "Mark Probert"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Olympic mountains WA

>>It looked familiar.
>>
>>I lived in Steilacoom, WA while I was assigned to Ft. Lewis, WA, 1969-70. We
>>rented a house on Puget Sound and it was known as party city.

>wow!
>small world and all that
>
>:>)
>

>>We went to Olympic National Park several times to go fishing.
>>
>>See: http://www.nps.gov/olym/wic/duplela.htm

>I was not fit enough to go to upper lena but had to stay at lower lena

I was in Olympic Nat'l Park in the summer of 68 doing volunteer work
and hiking. I fished the Elwa well upstream where trout were
plenitful.

-George

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 20 Sep 2003 05:11:44 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:
>
> >>From: [email protected] (PF

> >Now that you are done calling people idiots. Take a look at this.
> >
> >http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php
> >

> prhaps this should be incorporated in Joe Parson's "FAQ" ???

Here's another

http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/ritalin.htm

Ritalin Withdrawal

Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar to
amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed that
it works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected
it has a strong stimulant effect.

Ritalin is an addictive drug and mimics the action of chemicals your brain
produces to send messages of pleasure to your brain's reward center. Ritalin
produces an artificial feeling of pleasure. Ritalin produces its pleasurable
effects by chemically acting like certain normal brain messenger chemicals,
which produce positive feelings in response to signals from the brain.

The result is an addiction to Ritalin because the individual can depend on
the immediate, fast, predictable high Ritalin provides. At the same time,
Ritalin short circuits interests in and the motivation to make life's normal
rewards work. More and more confidence is placed on Ritalin while other
survival feelings are ignored and bypassed. Ritalin Withdrawal varies in
severity and length. The withdrawal from Ritalin addiction depends on the
amount and duration of time an the individual was addicted to Ritalin.

Ritalin Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:
agitation, insomnia
abdominal cramps
nausea
severe emotional depression
exhaustion
anxiety

"PF Riley" <[email protected]> wrote
> This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
> identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
> [usual ad hominem attack snipped]

This Slate article explains the similarity:

Both cocaine and methylphenidate, the generic name for Ritalin, are
stimulants that target the dopamine system, which helps control the brain's
functioning during pleasurable experiences. The two drugs block the ability
of neurons to reabsorb dopamine, thus flooding the brain with a surplus of
the joy-inducing neurotransmitter. According to animal studies, Ritalin and
cocaine act so much alike that they even compete for the same binding sites
on neurons.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2076413/

If you are willing to pay $12, you can read this JAMA article:

Pay Attention: Ritalin Acts Much Like Cocaine
Vastag JAMA.2001; 286: 905-906.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/286/8/905

"Joe Parsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> I am incredulous...asking for substantiation for an assertion is a

"trick."

Why are you incredulous you are viewed as trolling whenever you make
gratuitous requests others provide you a cite to substantiate assertions
without your providing any empirical data or grounds for questioning their
assertion, Joe?

You and the other ASAD trolls have been repeatedly told that unless you
provide contradictory empirical data or some reasonable grounds for
questioning an assertion, your gratutious requests for cites will be
dismissed as trolling.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:32:24 GMT, [email protected] (David
>>Wright) wrote:

>>>And yet another oracular pronouncement from Roger. How about some
>>>chemical formulas for each substance, just for starters?

>>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
>>wrong.
>>
>>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
>>
>>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
>>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
>>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
>>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
>>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
>>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated ********
>>that MMR contains thimerosal.
>>
>>Roger and Jake, please look:
>>
>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
>>
>>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
>>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
>>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
>>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
>>
>>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
>>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
>>identical, huh?
>>
>>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

>the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
>molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
>the*effects* are nearly identical
>
>what part of this do you not understand?

The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
cocaine..."

PF

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:56:33 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

>> Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
>> cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

>effects
>> to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics

>makes
>> the drugs very different.

>Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

Or think of it as a slow-acting methamphetamine derivative, since
that's what it is, idiot.

PF

[email protected]ospam (Hawki63) wrote:

>>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>>From: [email protected] (Jan)
>>Date: 9/19/2003 8:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>>

>>No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist. They added the
>>untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
>>stronger drugs, and become addicted.
>>

>no Janny ...it was all there in the article YOU posted....

Isn't it amazing that Jan demands that I take full responsibility for
book reviews published on Amazon.com and written by people who are not
me, but won't even read the stuff she posts verbatim herself?

Actually, it's not amazing at all. That's how hypocrites work.

--
Peter Bowditch
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in

> "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

> > Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine

and
> > cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

> effects to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in

pharmacokinetics
> makes the drugs very different.
>
> Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

No Roger, I just think of you as slow. You don't have a clue, as usual,
what you're talking about. Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
drug? Is heroin?

le moo

"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:44:47 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> evidence for this assertion?
> >>

> >That's rich.
> >
> >Yet another clown who never provides cites for any of the ludicrous
> >assertions he makes requesting others provide him what he doesn't

provide.

> How did I know that was how you would respond.

Because you are a troll who is used to having his absurb requests for cites
to substantiate widely accepted facts, dismissed, everytime you fail to
provide empirical data or some rational grounds for requesting cites to
substantiate widely accepted facts.

"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:48:20

> Mr. Wright provided a citation.

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not
illumination.
---Andrew Lang 1844-1912

Wrights cite adds nothing illuminating to the discussion.

The compliance rate to any treatment isn't 100% and its much lower to
psychopharmacological treatments ... therefore, its absurb to dismiss
concerns about the addictive properties of a psychotropic treatment...on the
basis "its safe as long as taken as directed", when its known that a high
percantage of people do not take psychotropics as directed.

Surely, if the safety of a treatment is totally dependent upon the rate of
compliance, i.e. "taken as directed" .and the rate of compliance is no
where near 100%, the treatment cannot be deemed a safe treatment.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:06:41 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
>>wrote:

>>>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
>>>wrong.
>>>
>>>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
>>>
>>>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
>>>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
>>>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
>>>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
>>>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
>>>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated ********
>>>that MMR contains thimerosal.
>>>
>>>Roger and Jake, please look:
>>>
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
>>>
>>>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
>>>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
>>>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
>>>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
>>>
>>>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
>>>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
>>>identical, huh?
>>>
>>>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

>>the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
>>molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
>>the*effects* are nearly identical
>>
>>what part of this do you not understand?

>The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
>cocaine..."

me?
I quoted the DEA

the issue is the *effects* are identical

clipping the DEA quote des not alter the fact it IS their position.

>PF

__

"In its recent infatuation with symptomatic, push-button remedies,
psychiatry has lost its way not only intellectually but spiritually
and morally. Even when it is not actually doing damage to the people
it is supposed to help,…it is encouraging among doctors and patients
alike the fraudulent and dangerous fantasy that life's every passing
'symptom' can be clinically diagnosed and, once diagnosed, alleviated
if not eliminated by pharmacological intervention."

Paul R. McHugh
Professor of Psychiatry,
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

In <[email protected]>, Jan wrote:

> No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist.

Another porker that Jan "I always prove my claims" Drew won't
even attempt to support.

> They added the
> untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
> stronger drugs, and become addicted.

Of course, the "untreated" is a direct quote from Jan's own
post. Those debunkers! Now they've hacked into Jan's computer
and are editing her posts before she sends them out!

--
| Microsoft: "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make |
| it more difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay |

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:07:21 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:56:33 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
>>> cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

>>effects
>>> to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics

>>makes
>>> the drugs very different.

>>Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

>Or think of it as a slow-acting methamphetamine derivative, since
>that's what it is, idiot.

ever taken cocaine or meths ?

Most drugs categorized as having addictive properties effect the
release or re-uptake of the neurotransmitters Dopamine (DA) and/or
Norephinephrine (NE). Drugs in this category include cocaine, and the
amphetamine class of stimulants (i.e.; benzedrine and the ever
addictive methylphenidate [ritalin]).

Instead of calling others idiots seems high time you educated yourself
about ritalin in the real world

Ritalin, Adderall,
Other Stimulants--Further Resources

"The "Just Say No To Drugs" campaign was aimed at discouraging
children from experimenting with dangerous and addictive drugs such as
amphetamine and Ritalin. Our society viewed with loathing those who
"pushed" stimulant drugs on children. Yet today there are more
children taking Ritalin and amphetamine from doctors than ever
received them from the illegal pushers. Furthermore, the ready
availability of prescribed stimulants had led to their increasing
illegal use by children and youth. What has happened to our society's
values? How can we be so blind to the implications of the widespread
prescribing of stimulants? Does a drug become "safe" simply because it
is prescribed by a doctor? Does "pushing" drugs on children become
legitimate simply because it is done by drug manufacturers? The
answers to these questions are complex--but the most important step is
to start asking the right questions. The following resources can
assist in that process."

amongst the many resources is the DEA press release

http://www.breggin.com/ritalin.html

Issued by the U.S. Department of Justice
Drug Enforcement Administration

DEA Press Release
October 20, 1995
Methylphenidate
Methylphenidate (MPH), most commonly known as Ritalin, ranks in the
top 10 most frequently reported controlled pharmaceuticals stolen from
licensed handlers.

Abuse of MPH can lead to marked tolerance and severe psychic
dependence.

Organized drug trafficking groups in a number of states have utilized
various schemes to obtain MPH for resale on the illicit market.

MPH is abused by diverse segments of the population, from health care
professions and children to street addicts.

A significant number of children and adolescents are diverting or
abusing MPH medication intended for the treatment of ADHD.

In 1994, a national high school survey (Monitoring the Future)
indicated that more seniors in the U.S. abuse Ritalin than are
prescribed Ritalin legitimately.

Students are giving and selling their medication to classmates who
are crushing and snorting the powder like cocaine. In March of 1995,
two deaths in Mississippi and Virginia were associated with this
activity.

DAWN statistics on estimated emergency room mentions indicate that
there were 271 mentions in 1990, 657 mentions in 1991, 1,044 mentions
in 1992, and 725 in 1993 (of which 28% to 40% were associated with
abuse for dependence or psychological effects). The number of mentions
for MPH was significantly greater than mentions for Schedule III
stimulants (6 mentions in 1992 and 1 mention in 1993 for all Schedule
III stimulants).

The U.S. manufactures and consumes 5-times more MPH than the rest of
the world combined.

MPH aggregate production quota has increased almost 6-fold since
1990.

Every indicator available, including scientific abuse liability
studies, actual abuse, paucity of scientific studies on possible
adverse effects associated with long-term use of stimulants, divergent
prescribing practices of U.S. physicians, and lack of concurrent
medical treatment and follow-up, urge greater caution and more
restrictive use of MPH.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:23:18 -0400, "Happy Dog"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in
>
>> "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine

>and
>> > cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

>> effects to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in

>pharmacokinetics
>> makes the drugs very different.
>>
>> Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

>No Roger, I just think of you as slow. You don't have a clue, as usual,
>what you're talking about. Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
>crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
>drug?

> Is heroin?

of course..
what planet do you live on?

__

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:18:56 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:48:20

>> Mr. Wright provided a citation.

>Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not
>illumination.
>---Andrew Lang 1844-1912
>
>Wrights cite adds nothing illuminating to the discussion.

It adds a lot more than your citation did.

You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:53:11 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:06:41 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
>>>molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
>>>the*effects* are nearly identical
>>>
>>>what part of this do you not understand?

>>The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
>>cocaine..."

>me?
>I quoted the DEA
>
>the issue is the *effects* are identical

Dose for dose they are NOT identical. Without including that caveat
there is a whole lot of misleading going on.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:34:35 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:44:47 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> >"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >That's rich.
>> >
>> >Yet another clown who never provides cites for any of the ludicrous
>> >assertions he makes requesting others provide him what he doesn't

>provide.
>>
>> How did I know that was how you would respond.

>Because you are a troll who is used to having his absurb requests for cites
>to substantiate widely accepted facts,

strange. you are not able to provide evidence of that statement.