Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Theta, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >From: jake [email protected]
    >Date: 9/19/2003 9:24 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >On 20 Sep 2003 05:11:44 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:
    >
    >>>From: [email protected] (PF

    >>
    >>Now that you are done calling people idiots. Take a look at this.
    >>
    >>http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php
    >>
    >>Ritalin Addiction
    >>Ritalin addiction is a very serious and sometimes life threatening dilemma.

    >Not
    >>only is it difficult for the addict, it is extremely hard on those around

    >them
    >>who care about them. For the addict, admitting they have an addiction

    >problem
    >>can be difficult. However painful this may be, it must be acknowledged as

    >the
    >>first gradient to overcoming the problem. The next hurdle is being willing

    >to
    >>seek & accept help from an addiction professional. It can be hard for an

    >addict
    >>to confront the fact that they can not do it alone. Once this fact is

    >accepted,
    >>it is time to seek the appropriate professional treatment. Drug rehab

    >programs
    >>based on the social education modality are highly successful. This means

    >that
    >>individuals who are recovering from Ritalin addiction are not made wrong for
    >>their past indiscretions, but are taught how to avoid future ones. They are
    >>provided with knowledge on how to change their lives and how to live
    >>comfortably without Ritalin. Receiving treatment for addiction should be

    >done
    >>in a safe & stable environment that is conducive to addiction recovery.
    >>Research studies show that residential treatment programs of at least 3

    >months
    >>in duration have the best success rates. 3 months may seem like a long time,
    >>but one day in the life of an individual addicted to Ritalin can feel like

    >an
    >>eternity. Addiction is a self imposed hellish slavery. The chains can be

    >broken
    >>people do it everyday. You can be free!
    >>
    >>Drug rehabilitation is a multi-phase, multi-faceted, long term process.
    >>Detoxification is only the first step on the road of addiction treatment.
    >>Physical detoxification alone is not sufficient to change the patterns of a
    >>drug addict. Recovery from addiction involves an extended process which

    >usually
    >>requires the help of drug addiction professionals. To make a successful
    >>recovery, the addict needs new tools in order to deal with situations and
    >>problems which arise. Factors such as encountering someone from their days

    >of
    >>using, returning to the same environment and places, or even small things

    >such
    >>as smells and objects trigger memories which can create psychological

    >stress.
    >>This can hinder the addict's goal of complete recovery, thus not allowing

    >the
    >>addict to permanently regain control of his or her life.
    >>
    >>Almost all addicts tell themselves in the beginning that they can conquer

    >their
    >>addiction on their own without the help of outside resources. Unfortunately,
    >>this is not usually the case. When an addict makes an attempt at

    >detoxification
    >>and to discontinue drug use without the aid of professional help,

    >statistically
    >>the results do not last long. Research into the effects of long-term

    >addiction
    >>has shown that substantial changes in the way the brain functions are

    >present
    >>long after the addict has stopped using drugs. Realizing that a drug addict

    >who
    >>wishes to recover from their addiction needs more than just strong will

    >power
    >>is the key to a successful recovery. Battling not only cravings for their

    >drug
    >>of choice, re-stimulation of their past and changes in the way their brain
    >>functions, it is no wonder that quitting drugs without professional help is

    >an
    >>uphill battle.
    >>
    >>As an organization we are dedicated to finding the correct solution for your
    >>specific addiction problem. Our referral list contains over 3,000 resources
    >>which encompass the following treatment categories :
    >>
    >>Ritalin Detox Center
    >>Ritalin Rehab
    >>Ritalin Treatment
    >>Ritalin Addiction Treatment
    >>Ritalin Addiction Counseling
    >>Meetings
    >>Ritalin In-Patient Treatment
    >>Ritalin Out-Patient Treatment
    >>
    >>In 1990, 900,000 American kids were on Ritalin. Today some estimate the

    >total
    >>number of children on Ritalin has increased to 4 - 5 million or more per

    >year
    >>America now uses 90% of the world's Ritalin - more than five times the rest

    >of
    >>the world combined.
    >>Emergency room visits by children ages 10-14 involving Ritalin intoxication
    >>have now reached the same level as those for cocaine which indicates

    >escalating
    >>abuse of this highly addictive drug.
    >>80% of children on Ritalin are boys.
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>------
    >>
    >>Q) What is Ritalin?
    >>
    >>A) Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar

    >to
    >>amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed that

    >it
    >>works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
    >>Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
    >>respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
    >>accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
    >>having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected

    >it
    >>has a strong stimulant effect. Ritalin is manufactured by CIBA-Geigy
    >>Corporation, and is supplied in 5 mg., 10 mg., and 20 mg. tablets, and in a
    >>sustained release form, Ritalin SR as 20 mg. tablets. It is readily water
    >>soluble and is intended for oral use. It is a Schedule II Controlled

    >Substance
    >>under both the federal and Indiana Controlled Substances Acts. Since Ritalin

    >is
    >>a Schedule II Controlled Substance, the federal government strictly

    >regulates
    >>the amount that may be manufactured, through a system of rigid manufacturing
    >>quotas.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>------
    >>
    >>Q) How is Ritalin used?
    >>
    >>A) When abused, Ritalin tablets are taken orally, crushed and then snorted,

    >or
    >>dissolved in water and "cooked" for intravenous injection.
    >>There are numerous reports in medical journals about permanent and

    >irreversible
    >>lung tissue damage related to injection of crushed Ritalin tablets.
    >>
    >>In order to make the 5- to 20 mg. dose tablets large enough to handle

    >easily,
    >>at least 100 mg. of "inert ingredients" are added to the tablets to increase
    >>their size. Depending upon size and formulation, the following inert
    >>ingredients are found in Ritalin tablets, according to the manufacturer:
    >>lactose, starch, polyethelene glycol, magnesium stearate, sucrose, talc,
    >>cellulose, mineral oil, and various dyes and conditioning agents. While

    >these
    >>ingredients are "inert" when taken by mouth, they can cause serious problems
    >>when injected or snorted.
    >>
    >>Health Consequences of Intravenous and/or Injection Drug Use
    >>The hypodermic syringe was designed to deliver a concentrated dose of a drug
    >>quickly and efficiently. In doing so, it bypasses many of the body's natural
    >>defense mechanisms such as the skin, respiratory cilia, digestive acids,

    >etc.
    >>The syringe allows anything in it (drugs, dust, bacteria, pollen, allergens,
    >>yeasts, viruses, fillers, etc.) to pass directly into the blood and body
    >>tissues. The rapid delivery of drugs via injection makes it difficult for

    >the
    >>user to control the intensity of the drug effect, thus making toxic

    >overdoses
    >>more likely.
    >>When drugs are prepared for injection by a street user, dust, dirt, and

    >other
    >>contaminants fall into the liquid. Bacteria, talc, lint, and other particles
    >>are injected along with the drug. The "inert ingredients" that manufacturers
    >>include to increase the bulk may be harmless when taken by mouth, but talc,
    >>cellulose, mineral oil, and sugars (among other fillers) can create serious
    >>problems when injected directly into veins or body tissues. Complications

    >from
    >>injection drug use include:
    >>drug overdoses and toxic overdose reactions
    >>blood clots from scar tissue, particles in the liquid, cotton and lint

    >fibers,
    >>etc.
    >>infections ("blood poisoning," abscesses, hepatitis, AIDS, etc.)
    >>scars ("tracks" and adhesions)
    >>pulmonary problems ("addict's lung," embolisms, etc.)
    >>skin and circulatory problems
    >>
    >>Health consequences of Snorting Drugs (Intranasal Insufflation)
    >>The delicate epithelial tissues that line the nasal cavities and air

    >passages
    >>may be damaged by direct contact with drugs. Ritalin tablets contain the
    >>hydrochloride salt of methylphenidate and yield dilute hydrochloric acid

    >when
    >>they come into contact with moisture. While this is not a problem in the
    >>stomach (hydrochloric acid is one of the digestive acids used in the

    >stomach),
    >>in the nasal passages the acid can "burn" the delicate nasal tissues,

    >resulting
    >>in open sores, nose bleeds, and possibly in deterioration of the nasal
    >>cartilage.
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>------
    >>
    >>Q) What are the side effects of Ritalin?
    >>
    >>A) The side effects of Ritalin addiction include but are not limited to:
    >>
    >>drug addiction
    >>nervousness and insomnia
    >>loss of appetite
    >>nausea and vomiting
    >>dizziness
    >>headaches
    >>changes in heart rate and blood pressure (usually elevation of both, but
    >>occasionally depression)
    >>skin rashes and itching
    >>abdominal pain
    >>weight loss
    >>digestive problems
    >>toxic psychosis
    >>psychotic episodes
    >>severe depression upon withdrawal
    >>High doses of stimulants produce a predictable set of symptoms that include:

    >
    >>
    >>loss of appetite (may cause serious malnutrition)
    >>tremors and muscle twitching
    >>fevers, convulsions, and headaches (may be severe)
    >>irregular heartbeat and respiration (may be profound and life threatening)
    >>anxiety, restlessness
    >>paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions
    >>excessive repetition of movements and meaningless tasks
    >>formicaton (sensation of bugs or worms crawling under the skin)
    >>While death due to non-medical use of Ritalin is not common, it has been

    >known
    >>to occur.
    >>
    >>
    >>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>------
    >>
    >>Q) What are the symptoms of Ritalin overdose?
    >>
    >>A) Symptoms of Ritalin overdose may include: Agitation, confusion,

    >convulsions
    >>(may be followed by coma), delirium, dryness of mucous membranes, enlarging

    >of
    >>the pupil of the eye, exaggerated feeling of elation, extremely elevated

    >body
    >>temperature, flushing, hallucinations, headache, high blood pressure,

    >irregular
    >>or rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching, sweating, tremors, vomiting.
    >>
    >>A growing number of youngsters taking the drug Ritalin® (methylphenidate)
    >>experience overdose, researchers report. The study looked at the frequency

    >of
    >>Ritalin overdose cases reported to a regional poison control center in

    >Detroit.
    >>Children ages 6 to 9 years were at the greatest risk of overdose, compared

    >with
    >>other age groups. Over a two-year period, 289 cases were reported. Of these,
    >>31% developed symptoms. Most common adverse effects included tachycardia,
    >>agitation and lethargy. Most cases were due to parents or caregivers
    >>unintentionally giving patients excessive amounts of the drug

    >
    >
    >prhaps this should be incorporated in Joe Parson's "FAQ" ???


    Like I said, I'll wager these people know more about it than Joe.

    Jan
     


  2. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
    >From: [email protected] (Jan)
    >Date: 9/19/2003 8:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >


    >No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist. They added the
    >untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
    >stronger drugs, and become addicted.
    >


    no Janny ...it was all there in the article YOU posted....

    go read it ......it saiddd those NOT TREATED (those of us who know how to
    extrapolate read that the first time..you on the other hand....even from YOUR
    article still don't get it...)

    sad that


    hawki
     
  3. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
    >From: [email protected] (Jan)
    >Date: 9/19/2003 2:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >


    do you know how to read??am beginning to wonder

    >Report: More young people abusing prescription drugs
    >WASHINGTON (AP) — A growing number of teenagers and young adults are abusing
    >prescription drugs, a governm


    abusing abusing abusing abusing...

    NOT taking it as prescribed is abusing...

    >In 2001, nearly 3 million young people, age 12 to 17, reported that they had
    >used prescription drugs for non-medical reasons at least on


    this is abuse...

    ..>Abuse of prescription drugs can lead to addiction, misdiagnosis of serious
    >illness, life-threatening circumstances and even death


    this is abuse........which may lead to addiction...


    >teady, significant rise in visits for opiate abuse since 1994.
    >


    hmmm...opiates?? ritalin is not an opiate...or did you even know that?? dumb
    question

    >largest increases were found in abuse of oxycodone, methadone and morphine.
    >


    see Ritalin in that list??? I don't....so

    >That includes people who took a drug that had not been prescribed for them
    >and
    >those who took drugs only for the experience or feeling they cause


    this is abuse

    >number
    >misusing pain relievers climbed from about 400,000 then to 2 million in 2000.
    >
    >


    pain relievers...hmmm do you think Ritalin is a pain reliever?? a narcotic?? an
    opiate..or don't you know the difference

    thought not
    hawki
     
  4. On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:17:43 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:18:31 GMT, "Mark Probert"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:11:35 GMT, "Mark Probert"
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> >
    >>> >"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> >news:[email protected]
    >>> >
    >>> >Where is this?
    >>> >
    >>>
    >>> Olympic mountains WA

    >>
    >>It looked familiar.
    >>
    >>I lived in Steilacoom, WA while I was assigned to Ft. Lewis, WA, 1969-70. We
    >>rented a house on Puget Sound and it was known as party city.

    >
    >wow!
    >small world and all that
    >
    >:>)
    >
    >
    >>
    >>We went to Olympic National Park several times to go fishing.
    >>
    >>See: http://www.nps.gov/olym/wic/duplela.htm

    >
    >
    >I was not fit enough to go to upper lena but had to stay at lower lena
    >


    I was in Olympic Nat'l Park in the summer of 68 doing volunteer work
    and hiking. I fished the Elwa well upstream where trout were
    plenitful.

    -George
     
  5. F Troop

    F Troop Guest

    "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 20 Sep 2003 05:11:44 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:
    >
    > >>From: [email protected] (PF

    > >
    > >Now that you are done calling people idiots. Take a look at this.
    > >
    > >http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ritalin.php
    > >

    >
    > prhaps this should be incorporated in Joe Parson's "FAQ" ???


    Here's another

    http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/ritalin.htm

    Ritalin Withdrawal

    Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar to
    amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed that
    it works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
    Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
    respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
    accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
    having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected
    it has a strong stimulant effect.

    Ritalin is an addictive drug and mimics the action of chemicals your brain
    produces to send messages of pleasure to your brain's reward center. Ritalin
    produces an artificial feeling of pleasure. Ritalin produces its pleasurable
    effects by chemically acting like certain normal brain messenger chemicals,
    which produce positive feelings in response to signals from the brain.

    The result is an addiction to Ritalin because the individual can depend on
    the immediate, fast, predictable high Ritalin provides. At the same time,
    Ritalin short circuits interests in and the motivation to make life's normal
    rewards work. More and more confidence is placed on Ritalin while other
    survival feelings are ignored and bypassed. Ritalin Withdrawal varies in
    severity and length. The withdrawal from Ritalin addiction depends on the
    amount and duration of time an the individual was addicted to Ritalin.

    Ritalin Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:
    agitation, insomnia
    abdominal cramps
    nausea
    severe emotional depression
    exhaustion
    anxiety


    >
     
  6. "PF Riley" <[email protected]> wrote
    > This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
    > identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
    > [usual ad hominem attack snipped]


    This Slate article explains the similarity:

    Both cocaine and methylphenidate, the generic name for Ritalin, are
    stimulants that target the dopamine system, which helps control the brain's
    functioning during pleasurable experiences. The two drugs block the ability
    of neurons to reabsorb dopamine, thus flooding the brain with a surplus of
    the joy-inducing neurotransmitter. According to animal studies, Ritalin and
    cocaine act so much alike that they even compete for the same binding sites
    on neurons.
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2076413/

    If you are willing to pay $12, you can read this JAMA article:

    Pay Attention: Ritalin Acts Much Like Cocaine
    Vastag JAMA.2001; 286: 905-906.
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/286/8/905
     
  7. F Troop

    F Troop Guest

    "Joe Parsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    >
    > I am incredulous...asking for substantiation for an assertion is a

    "trick."

    Why are you incredulous you are viewed as trolling whenever you make
    gratuitous requests others provide you a cite to substantiate assertions
    without your providing any empirical data or grounds for questioning their
    assertion, Joe?

    You and the other ASAD trolls have been repeatedly told that unless you
    provide contradictory empirical data or some reasonable grounds for
    questioning an assertion, your gratutious requests for cites will be
    dismissed as trolling.
     
  8. PF Riley

    PF Riley Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:32:24 GMT, [email protected] (David
    >>Wright) wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <[email protected]>,
    >>>Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>>>> no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    >>>>> cocaine as the DEA says?
    >>>>
    >>>>It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.
    >>>
    >>>And yet another oracular pronouncement from Roger. How about some
    >>>chemical formulas for each substance, just for starters?

    >>
    >>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
    >>wrong.
    >>
    >>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
    >>
    >>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
    >>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
    >>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
    >>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
    >>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
    >>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated bullshit
    >>that MMR contains thimerosal.
    >>
    >>Roger and Jake, please look:
    >>
    >>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
    >>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
    >>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
    >>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
    >>
    >>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
    >>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
    >>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
    >>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
    >>
    >>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
    >>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
    >>identical, huh?
    >>
    >>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

    >
    >
    >the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
    >molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
    >the*effects* are nearly identical
    >
    >what part of this do you not understand?


    The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
    cocaine..."

    PF
     
  9. PF Riley

    PF Riley Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:56:33 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> > > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    >> > > cocaine as the DEA says?
    >> > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

    >> Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
    >> cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

    >effects
    >> to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics

    >makes
    >> the drugs very different.

    >
    >Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.


    Or think of it as a slow-acting methamphetamine derivative, since
    that's what it is, idiot.

    PF
     
  10. [email protected]ospam (Hawki63) wrote:

    >>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
    >>From: [email protected] (Jan)
    >>Date: 9/19/2003 8:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >>Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >>

    >
    >>No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist. They added the
    >>untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
    >>stronger drugs, and become addicted.
    >>

    >
    >no Janny ...it was all there in the article YOU posted....


    Isn't it amazing that Jan demands that I take full responsibility for
    book reviews published on Amazon.com and written by people who are not
    me, but won't even read the stuff she posts verbatim herself?

    Actually, it's not amazing at all. That's how hypocrites work.

    >go read it ......it saiddd those NOT TREATED (those of us who know how to
    >extrapolate read that the first time..you on the other hand....even from YOUR
    >article still don't get it...)
    >
    >sad that
    >
    >
    >hawki


    --
    Peter Bowditch
    The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
    The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
     
  11. Happy Dog

    Happy Dog Guest

    "Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > > > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    > > > > cocaine as the DEA says?
    > > > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.

    > > Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine

    and
    > > cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

    > effects to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in

    pharmacokinetics
    > makes the drugs very different.
    >
    > Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.


    No Roger, I just think of you as slow. You don't have a clue, as usual,
    what you're talking about. Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
    crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
    drug? Is heroin?

    le moo
     
  12. F Troop

    F Troop Guest

    "Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:44:47 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >> evidence for this assertion?
    > >>

    > >
    > >That's rich.
    > >
    > >Yet another clown who never provides cites for any of the ludicrous
    > >assertions he makes requesting others provide him what he doesn't

    provide.
    >
    > How did I know that was how you would respond.


    Because you are a troll who is used to having his absurb requests for cites
    to substantiate widely accepted facts, dismissed, everytime you fail to
    provide empirical data or some rational grounds for requesting cites to
    substantiate widely accepted facts.
     
  13. F Troop

    F Troop Guest

    "Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:48:20


    > Mr. Wright provided a citation.



    Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not
    illumination.
    ---Andrew Lang 1844-1912

    Wrights cite adds nothing illuminating to the discussion.

    The compliance rate to any treatment isn't 100% and its much lower to
    psychopharmacological treatments ... therefore, its absurb to dismiss
    concerns about the addictive properties of a psychotropic treatment...on the
    basis "its safe as long as taken as directed", when its known that a high
    percantage of people do not take psychotropics as directed.

    Surely, if the safety of a treatment is totally dependent upon the rate of
    compliance, i.e. "taken as directed" .and the rate of compliance is no
    where near 100%, the treatment cannot be deemed a safe treatment.
     
  14. jake

    jake Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:06:41 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:32:24 GMT, [email protected] (David
    >>>Wright) wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>In article <[email protected]>,
    >>>>Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>>>>> no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    >>>>>> cocaine as the DEA says?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.
    >>>>
    >>>>And yet another oracular pronouncement from Roger. How about some
    >>>>chemical formulas for each substance, just for starters?
    >>>
    >>>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
    >>>wrong.
    >>>
    >>>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
    >>>
    >>>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
    >>>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
    >>>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
    >>>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
    >>>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
    >>>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated bullshit
    >>>that MMR contains thimerosal.
    >>>
    >>>Roger and Jake, please look:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
    >>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
    >>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
    >>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
    >>>
    >>>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
    >>>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
    >>>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
    >>>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
    >>>
    >>>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
    >>>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
    >>>identical, huh?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

    >>
    >>
    >>the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
    >>molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
    >>the*effects* are nearly identical
    >>
    >>what part of this do you not understand?

    >
    >The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
    >cocaine..."


    me?
    I quoted the DEA

    the issue is the *effects* are identical

    clipping the DEA quote des not alter the fact it IS their position.


    >
    >PF


    __

    "In its recent infatuation with symptomatic, push-button remedies,
    psychiatry has lost its way not only intellectually but spiritually
    and morally. Even when it is not actually doing damage to the people
    it is supposed to help,…it is encouraging among doctors and patients
    alike the fraudulent and dangerous fantasy that life's every passing
    'symptom' can be clinically diagnosed and, once diagnosed, alleviated
    if not eliminated by pharmacological intervention."

    Paul R. McHugh
    Professor of Psychiatry,
    Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
     
  15. In <[email protected]>, Jan wrote:

    > No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist.


    Another porker that Jan "I always prove my claims" Drew won't
    even attempt to support.

    > They added the
    > untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
    > stronger drugs, and become addicted.


    Of course, the "untreated" is a direct quote from Jan's own
    post. Those debunkers! Now they've hacked into Jan's computer
    and are editing her posts before she sends them out!

    --
    | Microsoft: "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make |
    | it more difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay |
    | for new products or new versions of existing products." |
    end
     
  16. jake

    jake Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:07:21 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:56:33 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> > > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    >>> > > cocaine as the DEA says?
    >>> > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.
    >>> Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine and
    >>> cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

    >>effects
    >>> to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in pharmacokinetics

    >>makes
    >>> the drugs very different.

    >>
    >>Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

    >
    >Or think of it as a slow-acting methamphetamine derivative, since
    >that's what it is, idiot.


    ever taken cocaine or meths ?

    Most drugs categorized as having addictive properties effect the
    release or re-uptake of the neurotransmitters Dopamine (DA) and/or
    Norephinephrine (NE). Drugs in this category include cocaine, and the
    amphetamine class of stimulants (i.e.; benzedrine and the ever
    addictive methylphenidate [ritalin]).

    Instead of calling others idiots seems high time you educated yourself
    about ritalin in the real world

    Ritalin, Adderall,
    Other Stimulants--Further Resources



    "The "Just Say No To Drugs" campaign was aimed at discouraging
    children from experimenting with dangerous and addictive drugs such as
    amphetamine and Ritalin. Our society viewed with loathing those who
    "pushed" stimulant drugs on children. Yet today there are more
    children taking Ritalin and amphetamine from doctors than ever
    received them from the illegal pushers. Furthermore, the ready
    availability of prescribed stimulants had led to their increasing
    illegal use by children and youth. What has happened to our society's
    values? How can we be so blind to the implications of the widespread
    prescribing of stimulants? Does a drug become "safe" simply because it
    is prescribed by a doctor? Does "pushing" drugs on children become
    legitimate simply because it is done by drug manufacturers? The
    answers to these questions are complex--but the most important step is
    to start asking the right questions. The following resources can
    assist in that process."


    amongst the many resources is the DEA press release


    http://www.breggin.com/ritalin.html

    Issued by the U.S. Department of Justice
    Drug Enforcement Administration

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    DEA Press Release
    October 20, 1995
    Methylphenidate
    Methylphenidate (MPH), most commonly known as Ritalin, ranks in the
    top 10 most frequently reported controlled pharmaceuticals stolen from
    licensed handlers.

    Abuse of MPH can lead to marked tolerance and severe psychic
    dependence.

    Organized drug trafficking groups in a number of states have utilized
    various schemes to obtain MPH for resale on the illicit market.

    MPH is abused by diverse segments of the population, from health care
    professions and children to street addicts.

    A significant number of children and adolescents are diverting or
    abusing MPH medication intended for the treatment of ADHD.

    In 1994, a national high school survey (Monitoring the Future)
    indicated that more seniors in the U.S. abuse Ritalin than are
    prescribed Ritalin legitimately.

    Students are giving and selling their medication to classmates who
    are crushing and snorting the powder like cocaine. In March of 1995,
    two deaths in Mississippi and Virginia were associated with this
    activity.

    DAWN statistics on estimated emergency room mentions indicate that
    there were 271 mentions in 1990, 657 mentions in 1991, 1,044 mentions
    in 1992, and 725 in 1993 (of which 28% to 40% were associated with
    abuse for dependence or psychological effects). The number of mentions
    for MPH was significantly greater than mentions for Schedule III
    stimulants (6 mentions in 1992 and 1 mention in 1993 for all Schedule
    III stimulants).

    The U.S. manufactures and consumes 5-times more MPH than the rest of
    the world combined.

    MPH aggregate production quota has increased almost 6-fold since
    1990.

    Every indicator available, including scientific abuse liability
    studies, actual abuse, paucity of scientific studies on possible
    adverse effects associated with long-term use of stimulants, divergent
    prescribing practices of U.S. physicians, and lack of concurrent
    medical treatment and follow-up, urge greater caution and more
    restrictive use of MPH.
     
  17. jake

    jake Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:23:18 -0400, "Happy Dog"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >
    >> "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> > > > no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    >> > > > cocaine as the DEA says?
    >> > > It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.
    >> > Ritalin works on the many or all of the same receptors as amphetamine

    >and
    >> > cocaine. However, the onset of action and the time it takes for the

    >> effects to wear off are vastly different. These diffences in

    >pharmacokinetics
    >> makes the drugs very different.
    >>
    >> Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

    >
    >No Roger, I just think of you as slow. You don't have a clue, as usual,
    >what you're talking about. Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
    >crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
    >drug?


    > Is heroin?


    of course..
    what planet do you live on?


    __

    "In its recent infatuation with symptomatic, push-button remedies,
    psychiatry has lost its way not only intellectually but spiritually
    and morally. Even when it is not actually doing damage to the people
    it is supposed to help,…it is encouraging among doctors and patients
    alike the fraudulent and dangerous fantasy that life's every passing
    'symptom' can be clinically diagnosed and, once diagnosed, alleviated
    if not eliminated by pharmacological intervention."

    Paul R. McHugh
    Professor of Psychiatry,
    Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
     
  18. Mark D Morin

    Mark D Morin Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:18:56 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:48:20

    >
    >> Mr. Wright provided a citation.

    >
    >
    >Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not
    >illumination.
    >---Andrew Lang 1844-1912
    >
    >Wrights cite adds nothing illuminating to the discussion.


    It adds a lot more than your citation did.



    ====================================================
    You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
    say about others is their problem, rather than your
    problem.

    You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
    them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
    Linda Gore 08/06/03

    http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm
     
  19. Mark D Morin

    Mark D Morin Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:53:11 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:06:41 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:32:24 GMT, [email protected] (David
    >>>>Wright) wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>In article <[email protected]>,
    >>>>>Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>>>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>>>>>> no ..is this relevant to whether ritalin is nearly identical with
    >>>>>>> cocaine as the DEA says?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>It is true, whether the DEA says it or not.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>And yet another oracular pronouncement from Roger. How about some
    >>>>>chemical formulas for each substance, just for starters?
    >>>>
    >>>>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
    >>>>wrong.
    >>>>
    >>>>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
    >>>>
    >>>>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
    >>>>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
    >>>>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
    >>>>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
    >>>>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
    >>>>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated bullshit
    >>>>that MMR contains thimerosal.
    >>>>
    >>>>Roger and Jake, please look:
    >>>>
    >>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
    >>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
    >>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
    >>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
    >>>>
    >>>>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
    >>>>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
    >>>>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
    >>>>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
    >>>>
    >>>>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
    >>>>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
    >>>>identical, huh?
    >>>>
    >>>>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
    >>>molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
    >>>the*effects* are nearly identical
    >>>
    >>>what part of this do you not understand?

    >>
    >>The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
    >>cocaine..."

    >
    >me?
    >I quoted the DEA
    >
    >the issue is the *effects* are identical


    Dose for dose they are NOT identical. Without including that caveat
    there is a whole lot of misleading going on.

    ====================================================
    You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
    say about others is their problem, rather than your
    problem.

    You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
    them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
    Linda Gore 08/06/03

    http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm
     
  20. Mark D Morin

    Mark D Morin Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:34:35 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:44:47 GMT, "F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >"Mark D Morin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> >> evidence for this assertion?
    >> >>
    >> >
    >> >That's rich.
    >> >
    >> >Yet another clown who never provides cites for any of the ludicrous
    >> >assertions he makes requesting others provide him what he doesn't

    >provide.
    >>
    >> How did I know that was how you would respond.

    >
    >Because you are a troll who is used to having his absurb requests for cites
    >to substantiate widely accepted facts,


    strange. you are not able to provide evidence of that statement.


    ====================================================
    You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
    say about others is their problem, rather than your
    problem.

    You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
    them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
    Linda Gore 08/06/03

    http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm
     
Loading...