Drug-stained history turns Tour de France into pathetic joke

DrL33T

Jul 7, 2011
Hello,

I am new here and I am a cycling fan.

I recently read this article in the Chicago Sun-Times by Rick Morrisey:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6360320-419/drug-stained-history-turns-tour-de-france-into-pathetic-joke.html

In it, he essentially insults cycling fans and riders by saying that it is pointless for networks to even show the Tour de France on television because of cycling's history of doping. I think this is pretty crazy considering that other sports encounter PED use as well (including Baseball, the sport Morrisey covers with passion).

I took some time to send him an email to express my thoughts and let him know that cycling fans actually enjoy cycling even if doping has become part of it that to an extent cannot be changed.

Good for you! It really burns me up when people use the doping to tarnish our sport, but like you mentioned, fail to even admit the fact that there are very few major sports that hasn't been touched by doping as well. Yes, it is a shame that a lot of pro cyclists have resorted to doping to get the advantage, but there is no denying that the TDF is exciting to watch.

One person's opinion/propaganda does not a majority make.

"News" outlets and their writers and editors are in the business of entertainment first, objective reporting somewhere third or fourth or fifth...
The need to be profitable causes them to fall victim to same motivations many pro cyclists have - the feeling that you gotta do something to get an edge on the competition, and/or engage in the same nefarious actions as your competition in order to be competitive and not get shelled or put out of business.

This writer's article (didn't bother reading it) is probably an appeal for attention - an attempt to get a rise out of the readers. Apparently it worked with you and caused you to act - just what the writer desired. To the writers of polarizing articles (every newspaper has them) any response from their audience is better than no response.

Furthermore, the writer has probably not turned a pedal since he was child. "Reporting" without some perspective is very lame, IMO...

Regarding the drug angle, pro cycling made its bed - it must lay in it. Trying to put it (cycling's pervasive and persistent drug problem) into perspective by juxtaposing with other sports does no service to the major strides made in trying to clean up pro cycling...Pro cycling needs to continue looking in the mirror rather than looking out the window...

I agree that pro cycling remains entertaining, but as with all forms of entertainment (be it sports or otherwise) where significant sums of money are involved, I'm fully aware and understand that what I'm watching is contrived on many levels...

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

This writer's article (didn't bother reading it) is probably an appeal for attention - an attempt to get a rise out of the readers. Apparently it worked with you and caused you to act - just what the writer desired. To the writers of polarizing articles (every newspaper has them) any response from their audience is better than no response.
A hit is a hit. They all get turned into dollars. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Evidently Rick Morrisey has never watched Tiger Woods hit a golf ball. Is it a joke they televise PGA tour? I love riding my bike, and playing golf but what point is this guy trying to prove. PEDs stimulate the spectators who LOVE the games but dont play them.