Drugs confession

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Simon, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Tags:

  2. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > Sad, just sad.
    >
    > Is it just me, or when he says 'bigger names', is it
    > pointed?
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/351-
    > 6584.stm

    Cycling is well and truly tarnished and this kind of stuff
    just makes it worse. I question Gaumont's motives. Is he
    just another Willy Voet - caught and now wants to make the
    most of his new found status? When will the T-shirt and film
    be released? I suspect that the 'bigger names' remark may
    even have been deliberately planted by Gaumont or his
    publicity agent to keep the story in the headlines. He
    admits to lying and cheating through his career, so why
    should now be any different?

    This is putting me off watching professional racing as we
    now have no idea who is clean or not. This is having a
    devastating on what was once a tremendous sport, as I know
    of youngsters who are now being pulled out of the
    competitive side because of the links to drugs and the
    perceptions around cycle racing.

    Until a 'positive' means a life ban then the problem will
    not disappear.

    John B

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >Cycling is well and truly tarnished and this kind of stuff
    >just makes it
    worse.
    >I question Gaumont's motives. Is he just another Willy Voet
    >- caught and now wants to make the most of his new found
    >status? When will the T-shirt and film be released? I
    >suspect that the 'bigger names' remark may even have been
    >deliberately planted by Gaumont or his publicity agent to
    >keep the story in the headlines. He admits to lying and
    >cheating through his career, so why should now be any
    >different?
    >
    >This is putting me off watching professional racing as we
    >now have no idea who is clean or not. This is having a
    >devastating on what was once a tremendous sport, as I know
    >of youngsters who are now being pulled out of the
    >competitive side because of the links to drugs and the
    >perceptions around cycle racing.
    >
    >Until a 'positive' means a life ban then the problem will
    >not disappear.

    How can we tell that all that he describes applies only to
    the wanna be top riders who have to resort to cheating to
    hang with the ones who don't have to cheat? Or does this
    really mean that all of them are cheating?
    ------------
    Alex

  4. Pk

    Pk Guest

    JohnB wrote: t, as I know of youngsters who are now
    being pulled
    > out of the competitive side because of the links to drugs
    > and the perceptions around cycle racing.

    similar but different, an athletics coach i know suggested
    my daughter could be a seriously fast sprinter if trained
    properly. We decided not to go down that route but to
    encourage school based sport because of the pressure on
    athletes to take drugs.

    pk

  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sad, just sad.
    >
    > Is it just me, or when he says 'bigger names', is it
    > pointed?
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/351-
    > 6584.stm

    It's apity that The BBC cannot even show a picture of
    Gaumont. Instead a picture of Cedric Vasseur is shown.
    Guit by association ? Or maybe don't let the facts get in
    the way of a good story.

    Graham

  6. Simon wrote:

    > Sad, just sad.
    >
    > Is it just me, or when he says 'bigger names', is it
    > pointed?

    If you read the article very carefully, you will note that
    it actually excludes certain riders. The last paragraph of
    the BBC translation has the scoop. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/s-
    port1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3516584.stm

  7. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    you that keep thinking there are clean riders even after
    these reports year after year are sadly mistaken. just watch
    the ones that get busted. then come back. they go from top
    20 to top 200. some even kill themselves...

  8. Private Website that has these "things" for sale, URL is
    encrypted after the main page, add to the URL /goods/racing/
    for catalog

    http://tinyurl.com/2h2xl

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you consider the content of this post to be particularly
    offensive, disgusting or plain illegal, it is probably
    'designer abuse', a message designed specifically to hurt
    the remailer's reputation/existence.com/groups?selm=6THHPRAL38002.4374074074%40anonymous&oe=UTF-
    8&output=gplain Some people hate this remailer so badly
    that, for example, they did not hesitate to celebrate the
    death of 148 French tourists in a plane crash. Those people
    seceded from the human race, so don't hesitate to report
    them directly to the police. 2004/01/03 (contact
    <[email protected]>) Blue.Jay celebrates787f018eb3019d6fd3faa2125547c%401073158846.cotse.net&oe=UTF-
    8&output=gplain 2004/01/19 <[email protected]> Len
    Sassaman chooses that moment to bring his support to
    Blue.Jay=Pine.LNX.4.58.0401181826110.31463%40thetis.deor.org&oe=UTF-
    8&output=gplain

    More about the subject will be available
    http://frogadmin.yi.org/HOS/

  9. An Metet

    An Metet Guest

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway. No
    effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    Private Website that has these "things" for sale, URL is
    encrypted after the main page, add to the URL /goods/racing/
    for catalog

    http://tinyurl.com/2h2xl

  10. Excellent insight!!! I had to read it a couple of times to
    get the full impact.

    Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > Simon wrote:
    >
    > > Sad, just sad.
    > >
    > > Is it just me, or when he says 'bigger names', is it
    > > pointed?
    >
    > If you read the article very carefully, you will note that
    > it actually excludes certain riders. The last paragraph of
    > the BBC translation has the scoop. <http://news.bbc.co.uk-
    > /sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3516584.stm

  11. On 03/16/2004 12:36 PM, in article [email protected],
    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sad, just sad.
    >
    > Is it just me, or when he says 'bigger names', is it
    > pointed?
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/351-
    > 6584.stm

    Must be pointed, because while the caption says "Gaumont"
    the picture is Vasseur.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
    at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Simon wrote:
    > >
    > > Sad, just sad.
    > >
    > > Is it just me, or when he says 'bigger names', is it
    > > pointed?
    > >
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/35-
    > > 16584.stm
    >
    > Cycling is well and truly tarnished and this kind of stuff
    > just makes it
    worse.
    > I question Gaumont's motives. Is he just another Willy
    > Voet - caught and now wants to make the most of his new
    > found status? When will the T-shirt and film be released?
    > I suspect that the 'bigger names' remark may even have
    > been deliberately planted by Gaumont or his publicity
    > agent to keep the story in the
    headlines.
    > He admits to lying and cheating through his career, so why
    > should now be any different?
    >
    > This is putting me off watching professional racing as we
    > now have no idea who is clean or not. This is having a
    > devastating on what was once a tremendous sport, as I know
    > of youngsters who are now being pulled out of the
    > competitive side because of the links to drugs and the
    > perceptions around cycle racing.
    >
    > Until a 'positive' means a life ban then the problem will
    > not disappear.

    Gaumont is seriously trying to make amends in my opinion.
    But so what? Some of the stuff he says is pure unadulaterate
    myth. You can easily tell the difference between a rub-on
    cream and an injection because the quantities in the blood
    are hugely different.

    Blood packing may not be detectable but I covered that
    earlier. Just because your hematocrit is high doesn't mean
    you're getting a performance boost.

  13. Steve

    Steve Guest

  14. The Irish in Kerry were way before their time.

    A curse on someone in Kerry Irish is

    Go raibh tochas síoraí ar do mhagarla

    = may you have an everlasting itch on your scrotum...

    they also have things like..

    Go raibh tochas ar do thóin agus easpa iongna

    may you have an itchy bottom and no fingernails..

    The cyclist haven't got to the latter yet...

    watch the fingernails.

  15. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

  16. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > If you read the article very carefully, you will note that
    > it actually excludes certain riders. The last paragraph of
    > the BBC translation has the scoop. <http://news.bbc.co.uk-
    > /sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3516584.stm>

    I must not be reading the article carefully enough. Can you
    point out the paragraph?

  17. --------------DAC279B7F0FD5361CA20495A

    Robert Chung schreef:

    > I must not be reading the article carefully enough. Can
    > you point out the paragraph?

    t*st*cles

    I think this word, especially in plural, is the key.

    --------------DAC279B7F0FD5361CA20495A Content-Type:
    text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
    transitional//en"> <html>
    <q>I must not be reading the article carefully enough. Can
    you point out the <br>paragraph?</blockquote>
    t*st*cle<b>s</b>
    <r>I think this word, especially in plural, is the

    --------------DAC279B7F0FD5361CA20495A--

  18. Hb

    Hb Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Irish in Kerry were way before their time.
    >
    > A curse on someone in Kerry Irish is
    >
    > Go raibh tochas síoraí ar do mhagarla
    >
    > = may you have an everlasting itch on your scrotum...
    >
    > they also have things like..
    >
    > Go raibh tochas ar do thóin agus easpa iongna
    >
    > may you have an itchy bottom and no fingernails..
    >
    > The cyclist haven't got to the latter yet...
    >
    > watch the fingernails.

    A bit like:

    May your ass be itcy and your ams too short

    HB

  19. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:17:37 +0100, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>
    () wrote:

    >Stewart Fleming wrote:
    >>
    >> If you read the article very carefully, you will note
    >> that it actually excludes certain riders. The last
    >> paragraph of the BBC translation has the scoop. <http-
    >> ://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3516-
    >> 584.stm>
    >
    >I must not be reading the article carefully enough. Can you
    >point out the paragraph?

    Well, in order to scratch your balls with salt, they
    actually need to be there. A certain big-name cyclist is
    lacking at least physically in that department. Mentally, he
    must have knackers the size of basketballs, but that Texans
    happy-sack is as empty as a recumbent-owners wallet the day
    after the "Buy 2, get one free" sale at I.C.E. :)

    HTH.
    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  20. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Van Hoorebeeck Bart"
    <[email protected]> wrote

    > Robert Chung schreef:
    >
    >> I must not be reading the article carefully enough. Can
    >> you point out
    the
    >> paragraph?
    >
    > t*st*cles I think this word, especially in plural, is
    > the key.

    Ah, thanks. BTW, I rather like this helpful little tip that
    didn't seem to make it into the BBC article:

    "Et pour le taux de cortisone, par exemple, s'il est
    effondré - ce qui dénote la prise de cortisone -, il suffit
    de prendre un cachet d'hydrocortisone avant le contrôle et
    de boire trois litres d'eau, et l'affaire est réglée."