Drum Brake Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tefl, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tefl

Tefl Guest

I have an old '72 Murray Eliminator F-Series bike I'm fixing up. I'm putting drum brakes front and
    rear on the bike. Is there anything I may need to consider about using these sort of brakes? (I've
    never used them before so I am unfamiliar how they will respond.) In particular, I'm wondering about
    the front brake. It's a 36 spoke and I plan to mount it on a 20X1.5 rim. Is this rim too skinny for
    the brake or will it be sufficient? The tire I'm mounting on it will be a 1.75. Also, what guage of
    spokes would be ideal?

Tags:

2. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Tefl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have an old '72 Murray Eliminator F-Series bike I'm fixing up. I'm putting drum brakes front and
    > rear on the bike. Is there anything I may need to consider about using these sort of brakes? (I've
    > never used them before so I am unfamiliar how they will respond.) In particular, I'm wondering
    > about the front brake. It's a 36 spoke and I plan to mount it on a 20X1.5 rim. Is this rim too
    > skinny for the brake or will it be sufficient? The tire I'm mounting on it will be a 1.75. Also,
    > what guage of spokes would be ideal?

Should be OK. Relativey unresponsive drums which barely slow down a 700C bike are quite crisp on a
    20" wheel.

At my first mechanic job I noticed that I could put black skid marks on linoleum with a Schwinn
    Crate. And I got to clean it, too.
    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.