Drum Brake Question

Tefl

Guest
I have an old '72 Murray Eliminator F-Series bike I'm fixing up. I'm putting drum brakes front and
rear on the bike. Is there anything I may need to consider about using these sort of brakes? (I've
never used them before so I am unfamiliar how they will respond.) In particular, I'm wondering about
the front brake. It's a 36 spoke and I plan to mount it on a 20X1.5 rim. Is this rim too skinny for
the brake or will it be sufficient? The tire I'm mounting on it will be a 1.75. Also, what guage of
spokes would be ideal?

"Tefl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an old '72 Murray Eliminator F-Series bike I'm fixing up. I'm putting drum brakes front and
> rear on the bike. Is there anything I may need to consider about using these sort of brakes? (I've
> never used them before so I am unfamiliar how they will respond.) In particular, I'm wondering
> about the front brake. It's a 36 spoke and I plan to mount it on a 20X1.5 rim. Is this rim too
> skinny for the brake or will it be sufficient? The tire I'm mounting on it will be a 1.75. Also,
> what guage of spokes would be ideal?

Should be OK. Relativey unresponsive drums which barely slow down a 700C bike are quite crisp on a
20" wheel.

At my first mechanic job I noticed that I could put black skid marks on linoleum with a Schwinn
Crate. And I got to clean it, too.