Drumlanrig Sportif

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Downie, May 2, 2006.

  1. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Can anyone tell me anything about this event?
    (http://www.bikingheaven.com/drumlanrig_sportif.htm).

    Is it a fairly casual sort of event or are there likely to be strict rules I
    ought to know about? I have e-mailed the organiser but I know someone here
    will know. ;-)

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tim Downie
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me anything about this event?
    > (http://www.bikingheaven.com/drumlanrig_sportif.htm).
    >
    > Is it a fairly casual sort of event or are there likely to be strict
    > rules I
    > ought to know about? I have e-mailed the organiser but I know someone
    > here will know. ;-)

    Dave Moss, AKA Mossy, is anything but strict. He's a nice laid back sort
    of guy. The other person who will undoubtedly be involved is Rik, of
    Rik's Bike Shed fame. He's equally nice and even more laid back.
    Altogether I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a thoroughly enjoyable
    event, through some gorgeous scenery.

    Beware of the back-breaking descents!

    I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
    who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

  3. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Tim Downie
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me anything about this event?
    >> (http://www.bikingheaven.com/drumlanrig_sportif.htm).
    >>
    >> Is it a fairly casual sort of event or are there likely to be strict
    >> rules I
    >> ought to know about? I have e-mailed the organiser but I know
    >> someone here will know. ;-)

    > Dave Moss, AKA Mossy, is anything but strict. He's a nice laid back
    > sort of guy. The other person who will undoubtedly be involved is
    > Rik, of Rik's Bike Shed fame. He's equally nice and even more laid
    > back. Altogether I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a thoroughly
    > enjoyable event, through some gorgeous scenery.
    >
    > Beware of the back-breaking descents!

    Cheers Simon.

    I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "back-breaking descents" until I
    realised you were talking literally!

    Tim

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tim Downie wrote:
    > I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "back-breaking descents" until I
    > realised you were talking literally!

    It was a bit fast so he stopped for a break halfway down..

    ...d

  5. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Tim Downie
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me anything about this event?
    >>> (http://www.bikingheaven.com/drumlanrig_sportif.htm).
    >>>
    >>> Is it a fairly casual sort of event or are there likely to be strict
    >>> rules I
    >>> ought to know about? I have e-mailed the organiser but I know
    >>> someone here will know. ;-)

    >> Dave Moss, AKA Mossy, is anything but strict. He's a nice laid back
    >> sort of guy. The other person who will undoubtedly be involved is
    >> Rik, of Rik's Bike Shed fame. He's equally nice and even more laid
    >> back. Altogether I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a thoroughly
    >> enjoyable event, through some gorgeous scenery.
    >>
    >> Beware of the back-breaking descents!

    > Cheers Simon.
    >
    > I wasn't quite sure what you meant by "back-breaking descents" until I
    > realised you were talking literally!

    I might just be along for the ride. Not sure I'm up to the 100 miler yet
    (might be) but I'm certainly up to the short form. OTOH, boat painting
    is getting urgent.

    ...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  7. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Tim Downie
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me anything about this event?
    >> (http://www.bikingheaven.com/drumlanrig_sportif.htm).
    >>
    >> Is it a fairly casual sort of event or are there likely to be strict
    >> rules I
    >> ought to know about? I have e-mailed the organiser but I know
    >> someone here will know. ;-)

    > Dave Moss, AKA Mossy, is anything but strict. He's a nice laid back
    > sort of guy. The other person who will undoubtedly be involved is
    > Rik, of Rik's Bike Shed fame. He's equally nice and even more laid
    > back. Altogether I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a thoroughly
    > enjoyable event, through some gorgeous scenery.

    Hi Simon,

    You were right about the scenery. Quite varied but all georgeous in its own
    way. You didn't mention the hills though! What do you feed them on down
    there??

    I've never ridden around down there so the road up to Warnlockhead was a
    first time experience for me (thank God I'd taken my tourer with the triple
    chainset). It just goes on and on (and in to the wind as well just for good
    measure). (http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/warnlockheadprofile.jpg)
    Seventy odd miles in to the ride the organisers sent us up a crippling
    little hill out of Moniaive
    (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
    or http://tinyurl.com/q9xob). I think everybody commented on when they got
    back to Drumlanrig.
    (http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/moniaiveprofile.jpg)

    The weather held for us and although there was little (if any) sunshine, it
    was fine for biking. About 36 riders turned up although not everyone did
    the full tour.

    Good fun (if tiring). Next time I think I'll ride something less
    conspicuous though. Not too many bikes with 28mm tyres, panier, mudguards
    and a bell there today. ;-)

    Tim

  8. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Tim Downie
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me anything about this event?
    >>> (http://www.bikingheaven.com/drumlanrig_sportif.htm).
    >>>
    >>> Is it a fairly casual sort of event or are there likely to be strict
    >>> rules I
    >>> ought to know about? I have e-mailed the organiser but I know
    >>> someone here will know. ;-)

    >> Dave Moss, AKA Mossy, is anything but strict. He's a nice laid back
    >> sort of guy. The other person who will undoubtedly be involved is
    >> Rik, of Rik's Bike Shed fame. He's equally nice and even more laid
    >> back. Altogether I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a thoroughly
    >> enjoyable event, through some gorgeous scenery.
    >>

    > Hi Simon,
    >
    > You were right about the scenery. Quite varied but all georgeous in
    > its own
    > way. You didn't mention the hills though! What do you feed them on
    > down there??

    Oh, come on. Which way did you go up? Mennock Water is interesting, but
    there are plenty of little recovery flats. The Dalveen Pass is a pig,
    but it's nothing like as high. Every time I go up the Mennock I'm
    surprised by how short it is!

    > I've never ridden around down there so the road up to Warnlockhead was
    > a first time experience for me (thank God I'd taken my tourer with the
    > triple
    > chainset). It just goes on and on (and in to the wind as well just for
    > good measure).
    > (http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/warnlockheadprofile.jpg) Seventy
    > odd miles in to the ride the organisers sent us up a crippling little
    > hill out of Moniaive

    (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
    > or http://tinyurl.com/q9xob). I think everybody commented on when they
    > got back to Drumlanrig.
    > (http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/moniaiveprofile.jpg)

    Oh, Tynron Brae. Yes, it's a proper little bastard, isn't it? Note that
    it's on a National Cycle Route, forsooth!

    > The weather held for us and although there was little (if any)
    > sunshine, it
    > was fine for biking. About 36 riders turned up although not everyone
    > did the full tour.
    >
    > Good fun (if tiring). Next time I think I'll ride something less
    > conspicuous though. Not too many bikes with 28mm tyres, panier,
    > mudguards and a bell there today. ;-)

    I confess I didn't make it. I was feeling a little rough on Friday night,
    and the weather forecast was horrid, so I decided not. But as you say it
    turned out an excellent day, so I went out checking routesheets for 7/24
    and had a grand cycle.

    Had another grand cycle today, off metalled roads but all non-technical,
    and the sun even shone. So not a bad weekend altogether.

    Wannabe a Web designer?
    <URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

  9. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, Tim Downie
    >> You didn't mention the hills though! What do you feed them on
    >> down there??

    > Oh, come on. Which way did you go up? Mennock Water is interesting, but
    > there are plenty of little recovery flats.

    Ha! Easy for you regular cyclists to say. For us Johnny come latelies it's
    quite a climb. ;-)

    > The Dalveen Pass is a pig,
    > but it's nothing like as high. Every time I go up the Mennock I'm
    > surprised by how short it is!
    >
    >> I've never ridden around down there so the road up to Warnlockhead was
    >> a first time experience for me (thank God I'd taken my tourer with the
    >> triple
    >> chainset). It just goes on and on (and in to the wind as well just for
    >> good measure).
    >> (http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/warnlockheadprofile.jpg) Seventy
    >> odd miles in to the ride the organisers sent us up a crippling little
    >> hill out of Moniaive
    >>

    > (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
    >> or http://tinyurl.com/q9xob). I think everybody commented on when they
    >> got back to Drumlanrig.
    >> (http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/moniaiveprofile.jpg)

    > Oh, Tynron Brae. Yes, it's a proper little bastard, isn't it? Note that
    > it's on a National Cycle Route, forsooth!

    Just what is the NCR for? Was it really designed to take in all the most
    challenging hills? It's certainly not a family friendly route.

    >> The weather held for us and although there was little (if any)
    >> sunshine, it
    >> was fine for biking. About 36 riders turned up although not everyone
    >> did the full tour.
    >>
    >> Good fun (if tiring). Next time I think I'll ride something less
    >> conspicuous though. Not too many bikes with 28mm tyres, panier,
    >> mudguards and a bell there today. ;-)

    > I confess I didn't make it. I was feeling a little rough on Friday night,
    > and the weather forecast was horrid, so I decided not.

    I nearly stayed at home as the forecast for Ayr was better than for down
    Dumfries way but it turned out fine in the end.

    > But as you say it
    > turned out an excellent day, so I went out checking routesheets for 7/24
    > and had a grand cycle.

    Is this the Seven Stanes do? Sounds like it has the makings of a classic
    event. Hope it all works out well for you.

    Tim