Drunk (or stoned) guys in a mini-van

Preston Crawford

Guest
So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.

Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
you're cool if you drive a caravan.

Preston

Preston Crawford wrote:
> So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in

the
> passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull

into
> my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and

> looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't

> problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or

two
> men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>
> Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a

bike, but
> you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>
> Preston

I think it has something to do with the spandex and funny hat. I am
starting to love my bike, but I am not going to try to convince my
friends it's cool. They will just laugh at me. In certain areas of the
US, a bike is a good thing, in other areas of this great country of
ours, it's dorky. That's just life. So what? We do what we love,
and screw what some think about it. If I want to ride a bike, I damn
well will ride a bike. If I want to ride a scooter, I damn will ride a
scooter. And if I want a neon pink helmet with roses on it, I will damn
well wear it. ;-)
All Good Things,
Maggie

Preston wrote:
> Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a

bike, but
> you're cool if you drive a caravan.

Hey!!!!

--Karen M.
in a Plymouth Voyager, sometimes

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:48:58 -0600, Preston Crawford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
>my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
>looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
>problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
>men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>
>Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
>you're cool if you drive a caravan.

He whom the joke is upon never knows it.

Ron

<[email protected]> wrote:

>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
>my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
>looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
>problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
>men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>
>Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
>you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>
>Preston

Maybe I sound like a moron, but what is 'clown music'?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:48:58 -0600, Preston Crawford
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
>>my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
>>looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
>>problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
>>men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>>
>>Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
>>you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>>
>>Preston

> Maybe I sound like a moron, but what is 'clown music'?

"March of the Gladiators" played on a steam calliope :)

Or a bunch of razz yelled at cyclists by idjits in cars.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Preston Crawford wrote:
> So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in

the
> passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull

into
> my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and

> looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't

> problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or

two
> men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>
> Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a

bike, but
> you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>
> Preston

Maybe it's rude to ask but, meaning no offense, why do you assume they
were mocking cyclists in general? Maybe in their drunken (or stoned)
states they just saw something funny in your individual appearance. We
all get laughed at occasionally, cyclists or not. Don't take it so
seriously. It's not always a "culture" thing. Sometimes we all just
look ridiculous, especially to the drunken and the stoned.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

P.S.- I hope they had insurance if they actually pulled into your
apartment. ;-)

In article <[email protected]>,
Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:

> So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
> passenger seat starts yelling out clown music.

Admit it: you were riding a unicycle.

..max

--
<blink>

On 2005-03-14, Maggie <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a

> bike, but
>> you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>>
>> Preston

> I think it has something to do with the spandex and funny hat. I am

I'll grant you the helmet, but I've never worn spandex. Only back in high
school. I generally just wear normal shorts since I'm bike commuting. On
longer rides I might wear the padded underwear.

> starting to love my bike, but I am not going to try to convince my
> friends it's cool. They will just laugh at me. In certain areas of the
> US, a bike is a good thing, in other areas of this great country of
> ours, it's dorky. That's just life. So what? We do what we love,

No big deal. I just think it's funny that two yokels in a mini-van think
biking is dorky. I found it ironic.

> and screw what some think about it. If I want to ride a bike, I damn
> well will ride a bike. If I want to ride a scooter, I damn will ride a
> scooter. And if I want a neon pink helmet with roses on it, I will damn
> well wear it. ;-)
> All Good Things,

I agree. Just thought it was funny.

Preston

On 2005-03-15, max <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>> passenger seat starts yelling out clown music.

> Admit it: you were riding a unicycle.
>
> .max

Had I been riding one I would have understood the clown music. I wish I
had the talent to ride a unicycle. I once met a dude who commuted by
unicycle. It was amazing to watch him do a track stand.

Preston

On 2005-03-15, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> Preston Crawford wrote:
>> Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a

> bike, but
>> you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>>
>> Preston

> Maybe it's rude to ask but, meaning no offense, why do you assume they
> were mocking cyclists in general? Maybe in their drunken (or stoned)

Because there aren't many bikes out where I live, and I wasn't wearing
anything to attract attention to myself. T-shirt and shorts.

> states they just saw something funny in your individual appearance. We
> all get laughed at occasionally, cyclists or not. Don't take it so
> seriously. It's not always a "culture" thing. Sometimes we all just
> look ridiculous, especially to the drunken and the stoned.

I'm not taking it seriously. I'm just laughing back at them. In my world,
two adult men cruising around in a mini-van is clownish. I just found it
ironic. That's all.

> Regards,
> Bob Hunt
>
> P.S.- I hope they had insurance if they actually pulled into your
> apartment. ;-)

:)

The complex....

Preston

On 2005-03-15, Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:48:58 -0600, Preston Crawford
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>>>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
>>>my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
>>>looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
>>>problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
>>>men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>>>
>>>Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
>>>you're cool if you drive a caravan.
>>>
>>>Preston

>> Maybe I sound like a moron, but what is 'clown music'?

> "March of the Gladiators" played on a steam calliope :)
>
> Or a bunch of razz yelled at cyclists by idjits in cars.

It's hard to explain, but you know it when you hear it. It was actually
kind of clever when you think about it.

Preston

On 2005-03-15, RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:48:58 -0600, Preston Crawford <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
>>my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
>>looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
>>problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
>>men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>>
>>Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
>>you're cool if you drive a caravan.

> He whom the joke is upon never knows it.
>

> Ron

That's what I was trying to impart. I'm glad SOMEONE got it. I wasn't mad.
I thought it was funny.

Preston

On 2005-03-14, Veloise <[email protected]> wrote:
> Preston wrote:
>> Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a

> bike, but
>> you're cool if you drive a caravan.

> Hey!!!!
>
> --Karen M.
> in a Plymouth Voyager, sometimes

It's okay. My other vehicle is a Ford Taurus. I don't consider that cool.
But I think it's cooler than a mini-van. :)

Biking is cooler than both, though. Although maybe next time I should wear
a red nose.

Preston

I have seen this do cyclocross....

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2005-03-15, max <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>>> passenger seat starts yelling out clown music.

>> Admit it: you were riding a unicycle.
>>
>> .max

> Had I been riding one I would have understood the clown music. I wish I
> had the talent to ride a unicycle. I once met a dude who commuted by
> unicycle. It was amazing to watch him do a track stand.
>
> Preston

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:34:35 -0600, Preston Crawford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 2005-03-15, RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:48:58 -0600, Preston Crawford <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>>>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music. They happened to pull into
>>>my apartment and the driver apologized (sort of, he was bloodshot and
>>>looked either baked or a little lit) for his friend. I said it wasn't a
>>>problem, but what was more worthy of mocking, someone on a bike or two
>>>men in a mini-van mocking someone on a bike.
>>>
>>>Funny that in our culture (the US) you're a clown if you're on a bike, but
>>>you're cool if you drive a caravan.

>> He whom the joke is upon never knows it.
>>

>> Ron

>That's what I was trying to impart. I'm glad SOMEONE got it. I wasn't mad.
>I thought it was funny.
>
>Preston

Sure, bong-boy makes an ass of himself and then homespud in the minivan tries to
be cool and uh, yeah, you should feel bad, uh, somehow.

Good to see you've got your sense of humor properly installed. It's the only way
to survive this planet.

Ron

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:34:05 -0600, Preston Crawford <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 2005-03-15, Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes:

>>> Maybe I sound like a moron, but what is 'clown music'?

>> "March of the Gladiators" played on a steam calliope :)
>>
>> Or a bunch of razz yelled at cyclists by idjits in cars.

>It's hard to explain, but you know it when you hear it. It was actually
>kind of clever when you think about it.

I'm sure if we were half as baked we'd be laughing just as hard.

Ron

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:49:49 GMT, max <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>> passenger seat starts yelling out clown music.

>Admit it: you were riding a unicycle.

Worse, a recumbent.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:49:49 GMT, max <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>Preston Crawford <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>So yesterday a couple dudes passed me in a mini-van and the yokel in the
>>>passenger seat starts yelling out clown music.

>>Admit it: you were riding a unicycle.

> Worse, a recumbent.

I am sorry you lack the self-esteem to use the superior mode of human
powered transport.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)