Dry Chain Lube?

!Jones

Guest
I bought a container of dry chain lubricant thinking I was getting
generic tenacious oil; however, it looks like water. What is it?

< It's dry chain lubricant. >

Oh.

Jones

On Jun 12, 2:35 pm, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
> I bought a container of dry chain lubricant thinking I was getting
> generic tenacious oil; however, it looks like water.  What is it?

dry lube in an evaporative carrier.

In article <[email protected]>,
!Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bought a container of dry chain lubricant thinking I was getting
> generic tenacious oil;

Why would you think that? "tenacious oil" brings to mind "sticky
substance that attracts and holds grit", not "dry lubrication that does
not". Are you a troll, perchance?

> however, it looks like water. What is it?

Generally solvent and wax. Sometimes with molybdenum disulfide or
graphite (both black) or teflon. Then again, I suppose it could be tap
water and clever packaging. If you are not addicted to spray cans, you
can simply clean your chain and set it in a tin can of melted wax for a
very effective dry lubing, cheap and no solvent needed. If you support
the chain off the bottom of the hot wax then any additional dirt that
comes out will fall to the bottom of the can of molten wax and stay out
of the chain. Leave the chain in the wax long enough for the chain to
come up to melted wax temperature, and remove the chain while it is hot
to keep the wax amount remaining on the chain reasonable.

"Ecnerwal" wrote: (clip) Leave the chain in the wax long enough for the
chain to
> come up to melted wax temperature, and remove the chain while it is hot
> to keep the wax amount remaining on the chain reasonable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used to tie my motorcycle chain to a string, and the swing the hot waxy
chain around my head to sling off the excess.

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:13:59 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech Ecnerwal
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you are not addicted to spray cans, you
>can simply clean your chain and set it in a tin can of melted wax for a
>very effective dry lubing,

It depends on what's *in* the spray cans, I suppose.

I find that my chain needs lubrication more often than I remove it.

Jones

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 20:19:49 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I used to tie my motorcycle chain to a string, and the swing the hot waxy
>chain around my head to sling off the excess.

I think it's like "spit shining" boots in the military... I've heard
lots of tricks. I know a chopper rider who mixes Everclear and wax,
then ignites the mix on the chain; although, I suspect that most of it
ends up used otherwise.

Jones