Dry, cracked skin relieg

Ken Papai

Guest
So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing

I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
wearing band-aids too.

Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
natural oils).

What have you found that works best?

- Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
- Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
- "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal" the skin
- Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)

It's probably genetic too.

Oh well!

Thanks, Ken

>Subject: Dry, cracked skin relieg From: "Ken Papai" [email protected] Date: 1/17/2003 4:04 PM
>Eastern Standard Time Message-id: <Id_V9.25388$1q3.4226@sccrnsc01>
>
>So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
>I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
>wearing band-aids too.
>
>Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
>condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
>stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
>natural oils).

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE EARLY SYMPTOMS OF FINGER CANCER. I KNEW A GUY WHO DIED FROM THAT ONCE.
FORTUNATELY FOR RBR HE CAME BACK TO LIFE.

-----Sharon Peters Personal Trainer to the Stars-------- Remove "No Junk" to reply please!!!

the best ever is nut butter. give it a try and let everyone know how it worked.

Do you suffer this year-round? Or mostly in dry weather? If it's year-round you may want to consider
using rubber gloves when handling solvents etc if you don't already do this. It may also be a more
serious skin condition that you should see a doctor about. I used to be really averse to using hand
lotion (didn't want to appear soft as a mechanic, you know....) but the crustiest old geezer I've
ever known uses it and from that point on I've been using hand lotion whenever my hands start to
crack and bleed. It sure makes sense! I don't know if I'm stating the obvious here, but Neutrogena
hand lotion for Very Dry Skin works for me. It's mostly unscented and works pretty well. For me,
it's mostly a winter problem and since I'm not a mechanic anymore the problem is abating somewhat.

Good luck,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Id_V9.25388$1q3.4226@sccrnsc01...
> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> natural oils).
>
> What have you found that works best?
>
> - Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
> - Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
> - "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal" the skin
> - Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)
>
> It's probably genetic too.
>
> Oh well!
>
> Thanks, Ken

Ken Papai, using the address of [email protected], felt it was necessary to post to
rec.bicycles.racing with the following words of wisdom:

> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week

My son has terribly dry skin, his hands a feet both crack, sometimes so bad that they bleed. It is
the weather that does it here. We use Zim's on him and it works pretty well.

But just as important.....

8 - 14 hours a week! Maybe a little less time monitoring RBR for "For Sale" ads and a little more
time on the bike.... ;)

Les

There's a product called "Bag Balm", intended for veterinary use, but most drug stores stock
it. Works great for cuts, abrasions, etc. too (The name of it is based on it's intended use, a
cow's udder)

Why do skin products have such bizarre names? ......Zim's "Crack Cream"????!!!!

Regards, John Henry

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Id_V9.25388$1q3.4226@sccrnsc01...
> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> natural oils).
>
> What have you found that works best?
>
> - Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
> - Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
> - "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal" the skin
> - Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)
>
> It's probably genetic too.
>
> Oh well!
>
> Thanks, Ken

I use Vasoline Intensive Care. I like it because unlike others it dries very quickly so you don't
walk around with oily hands for hours. Many others leave you with goo that gets all over anything
you touch. I had the same problem from doing Ceramic Tile in construction for years working with
cement. I got cement poison and had to use Aloe Vera to get rid of it. My hands are like yours and I
just use Intensive care every night and that works great. I would use gloves anytime working with
any solvents or anything that irritates your hands. If I stopped using hand lotion my hands would
crack and bleed in a few days. Keep your hands out of water as much as possible. This seems to be
the main culprit. Everytime you wash your hands it washes away natural oils.

What a dilema, huh?

Bruce

---------------------------
"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Id_V9.25388$1q3.4226@sccrnsc01...
> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> natural oils).
>
> What have you found that works best?
>
> - Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
> - Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
> - "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal" the skin
> - Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)
>
> It's probably genetic too.
>
> Oh well!
>
> Thanks, Ken

Try Aquaphor. I haven't had cracked skin on my hands since I started using
it. Aquaphor is available at most pharmacies. It is also good for road rash scars.

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Id_V9.25388$1q3.4226@sccrnsc01...
> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> natural oils).
>
> What have you found that works best?
>
> - Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
> - Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
> - "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal" the skin
> - Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)
>
> It's probably genetic too.
>
> Oh well!
>
> Thanks, Ken

Ken, I had this problem during the parts of the season when I wore long fingered gloves like now.
THis year I began using Born products during cyclocross (you can buy them from
Cyclocrossworld.com)and one of the guys on the team told me he used the protect extra on his hands
and feet then put his gloves and socks on to stay warm during the race so I did and it worked really
well. I began using it on my winter training rides here in the northeast. I found that by putting
this oily stuff on my hands then putting my gloves on, by the end of the ride my hands were no
longer cracked, more so than anything else I've ever used. THen while off the bike, once a day I
used the vasoline intensive care for dry skin, because it dries very fast, and this year I have no
cracked skin on my hands like I had in the past that was so painful. Try it, it works.

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Id_V9.25388$1q3.4226@sccrnsc01...
> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> natural oils).
>
> What have you found that works best?

Nice that people are always so helpful here. Try using A & D lotion or Bag Balm. This stuff really
works. Avoid using solvents on your hands by using cheapo rubber diswashing gloves when you're
working with solvents.

Ken Papai wrote:

> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
>
> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as to
> wearing band-aids too.
>
> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> natural oils).
>
> What have you found that works best?
>
> - Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
> - Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
> - "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal" the skin
> - Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)
>
> It's probably genetic too.
>
> Oh well!

If the problem is getting extremely bad you should consider buying those thin cotton hand liners at
the pharmacy. Generously apply your favorite lotion onto your hands and put on the cotton liners
before going to bed. You might consider adding some cortizone cream to the lotion depending on the
severity of the problem. Skin heals best when it is not being "used;" that's why a sleep-time
treatment is highly effective.

"o.k. they are all guessing. here is the best remedy. instead of nut butter of course. go to a store
that sells nursing products. get the nipple ointment for sensitive nursing mothers that comes in a
purple tube. its the best out there and you could use it in the bedroom for fun also. all natural
and edible.

the funniest was the super glue. just don't use it and take a **** to soon....lololololo

jeff t nelson worlds leading authority on lactating *****es

"spud" <[email protected]> wrote t...
> What he said. Plus, use crazy glue to hold the really bad ones together until they

Really, crazy glue? I have heard that docs even use it on patients on certain type of cuts.

Maybe I will try that.

Anyone else on the Crazee Glue?

> close up enough that it doesn't feel like somebody's flossing your fingernails with a razor if you
> happen to be squeezing a lime into a brew. bg

ha! :)

In article <cB1W9.27180$1q3.3853@sccrnsc01>, "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > ads and a little more time on the bike.... ;)
>
> 8-14 hrs./week is fine for a slow, old fat masters-wanna-be. I spend less than 10 mins./week
> "monitoring" RBR FS ads.
>
> I am using Zim's now.
>
> It's worse in the winter but still is chronic. I think that that cracked skin type is
> genetic. Thanks!
>
> -ken

One thing you can do is shmear your hands with vaseline and then put some gloves on. I use
those cheap 99 cent wool gloves. Some say try it overnight, for a couple of days until you
notice a difference. Or just for a few hours a day, while on the trainer, watching tv whatever.
It really works.

I remember a few years ago I had to stay in the hospital for a few days for an operation. AFter
about 3 days I noticed the backs of my arms were all chafed and raw from the crappy, rough hospital
sheets! No wonder people get bedsores. When I came home I shmeared vaseline on and in a few days, it
was all better.

Also try breaking open an E and applying it directly to any open cracks. This is safe and effective.
It is safe as far as I know and it really works great for healing these cracks. Many lotions are not
recommended where cracks plus bleeding occurs. I usually use a bandaid first and wait till the
bleeding stops and apply the E a little later. When it gets better I use Intensive care as stated
previously.

B-
-------------------------------
> Use hand lotion, by all means--and gloves as well. You might also try taking 400 IU's of vitamin
> E every day. It sure helped my hands, and a crack in my lip as well. Both hands and lip are
> healed now.
>

> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:52:57 -0800, The Pomeranian <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Ken Papai wrote:
> >>
> >> So, I was wondering.... subject - Dry, cracked skin relief and healing
> >>
> >> I doubt I am alone with dry hands with fingers that crack. Long fingered gloves help a lot as
> >> to wearing band-aids too.
> >>
> >> Gripping the levers and bars and the friction for 8-14 hours/week has got to exacerbate this
> >> condition as does cleaning your bike -- whatever solvents (orange cleaners, turpentine) and
> >> stuff you use and then washing your hands afterwards (dries out your hands and loses all your
> >> natural oils).
> >>
> >> What have you found that works best?
> >>
> >> - Zim's (new to me, does it really work?)
> >> - Burt's Bees (also fairly new to me)
> >> - "extra strength" Curel lotion immediately after showering to "seal"
the
> >> skin
> >> - Corn Huskers (I think it's waste)
> >>
> >> It's probably genetic too.
> >>
> >> Oh well!
> >
> >If the problem is getting extremely bad you should consider buying those thin cotton hand liners
> >at the pharmacy. Generously apply your favorite lotion onto your hands and put on the cotton
> >liners before going to bed. You might consider adding some cortizone cream to the lotion
> >depending on the severity of the problem. Skin heals best when it is not being "used;" that's why
> >a sleep-time treatment is highly effective.

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

That was funny! Good one! The low caps lady and high caps lady!

B-
"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Sharon Peters wrote:
>
> > PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS. JAN ULLRICH GOT BUSTED FOR PUTTING E IN
HIS

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> Sharon Peters wrote:
>
> > PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS. JAN ULLRICH GOT BUSTED FOR PUTTING E IN HIS
>
> Heather, Please send Sharon your SHIFT key since you have no use for it and she does. Thank You.

that's a good idea, but i'm a fan of sharon's "caps lock" persona, so no go.

it'll be hard to beat "WE BELGIANS KNOW THE DRUGS DONT WORK BUT DOPE ANYWAY FOR OLD TIMES
SAKE." though.

heather

Actually the shift key wouldn't do Sharon any good since her caps lock is on. It would only make the
first letter lowercase and all the others would still be uppercase when the shift key is not
depressed. Backwards of the way it would normally be if the caps lock was not on.

B-
news:[email protected]...