Dry, Crispy, Sweet Walnuts?

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

Guest
My Marines insisted on including their "Miss Jeanine" for something on
their fast foods lunch run today, so I told them I'd like only a salad.
They brought me a container having unpeeled, sliced red and green
apples, purple grapes, and a little cup of somewhat sweet and thick,
white "dipping sauce" and a tiny bag of walnut pieces. The sauce was
curious and I'd like to make my own, but those walnut bits were
outstanding.

Can anyone suggest a sauce recipe, but also (and especially) how these
walnuts are prepared? They were quite crispy-dry and seemed to be
lightly sugar coated.

Picky ~JA~

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:22:49 -0800, [email protected] (JeanineAlyse
in 29 Palms) wrote:

>My Marines insisted on including their "Miss Jeanine" for something on
>their fast foods lunch run today, so I told them I'd like only a salad.
>They brought me a container having unpeeled, sliced red and green
>apples, purple grapes, and a little cup of somewhat sweet and thick,
>white "dipping sauce" and a tiny bag of walnut pieces. The sauce was
>curious and I'd like to make my own, but those walnut bits were
>outstanding.
>
>Can anyone suggest a sauce recipe, but also (and especially) how these
>walnuts are prepared? They were quite crispy-dry and seemed to be
>lightly sugar coated.

Do you know where they were purchased from? Was it a chain?

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

From JeanineAlyse, in part:
>...anyone suggest a sauce recipe, but
>also (and especially) how these walnuts
>are prepared? They were quite crispy-dry and seemed to be lightly sugar

coated
[email protected] (Siobhan Perricone) asks....
>Do you know where they were
>purchased from? Was it a chain?

Yes, they were in a little packet included with a wee tray of sliced
green and red apples, grapes along with a little tub of creamy white
sauce for dipping. I think I now have what I need for the walnuts, and
perhaps I'll just use yogurt for the sauce?

CRISP SUGARED WALNUTS
4 cups water
2 cups walnuts
6 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. peanut or corn oil
Preheat oven to 325° and bring a pot of water to a full boil. Add
walnuts, immediately remove from heat and set aside for 3 minutes.
Drain walnuts and pat dry. While nuts are hot, toss evenly with sugar
and salt to coat. Add oil and mix thoroughly. Spread nuts in 1 layer
on a foil-lined baking sheet. Allow the nuts to dry for an hour or
until their surface is thoroughly dry. Bake, stirring occasionally, for
8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 2 cups that will keep for several weeks.

Picky ~JA~