Dry, Crispy, Sweet Walnuts?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. My Marines insisted on including their "Miss Jeanine" for something on
    their fast foods lunch run today, so I told them I'd like only a salad.
    They brought me a container having unpeeled, sliced red and green
    apples, purple grapes, and a little cup of somewhat sweet and thick,
    white "dipping sauce" and a tiny bag of walnut pieces. The sauce was
    curious and I'd like to make my own, but those walnut bits were
    outstanding.

    Can anyone suggest a sauce recipe, but also (and especially) how these
    walnuts are prepared? They were quite crispy-dry and seemed to be
    lightly sugar coated.

    Picky ~JA~

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:22:49 -0800, [email protected] (JeanineAlyse
    in 29 Palms) wrote:

    >My Marines insisted on including their "Miss Jeanine" for something on
    >their fast foods lunch run today, so I told them I'd like only a salad.
    >They brought me a container having unpeeled, sliced red and green
    >apples, purple grapes, and a little cup of somewhat sweet and thick,
    >white "dipping sauce" and a tiny bag of walnut pieces. The sauce was
    >curious and I'd like to make my own, but those walnut bits were
    >outstanding.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a sauce recipe, but also (and especially) how these
    >walnuts are prepared? They were quite crispy-dry and seemed to be
    >lightly sugar coated.

    Do you know where they were purchased from? Was it a chain?

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    Humans wrote the bible,

  3. From JeanineAlyse, in part:
    >...anyone suggest a sauce recipe, but
    >also (and especially) how these walnuts
    >are prepared? They were quite crispy-dry and seemed to be lightly sugar

    coated
    [email protected] (Siobhan Perricone) asks....
    >Do you know where they were
    >purchased from? Was it a chain?

    Yes, they were in a little packet included with a wee tray of sliced
    green and red apples, grapes along with a little tub of creamy white
    sauce for dipping. I think I now have what I need for the walnuts, and
    perhaps I'll just use yogurt for the sauce?

    CRISP SUGARED WALNUTS
    4 cups water
    2 cups walnuts
    6 Tbsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. peanut or corn oil
    Preheat oven to 325° and bring a pot of water to a full boil. Add
    walnuts, immediately remove from heat and set aside for 3 minutes.
    Drain walnuts and pat dry. While nuts are hot, toss evenly with sugar
    and salt to coat. Add oil and mix thoroughly. Spread nuts in 1 layer
    on a foil-lined baking sheet. Allow the nuts to dry for an hour or
    until their surface is thoroughly dry. Bake, stirring occasionally, for
    8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container.
    Makes about 2 cups that will keep for several weeks.

    Picky ~JA~