Dry Skin On Feet After Riding

Mar 11, 2015
I suffer with dry skin on my feet all year round, but it gets really bad in the summer, and I have noticed that after I ride for more than an hour or so, my feet get really dry and cracked when I get back. I have got cotton socks and decent shoes (I ha to spend as my feet are not great) I moisturise my feet every day and exfoliate the skin about every third day. Any advice as to how I might make them a bit more bearable?

Do you use super hot water? Soap to clean? There's tons of contributing factors that lead to dry cracked skin. Generally it's better to use lukewarm water since it's less harsh and doesn't strip as many collected natural body oils. The only soaps I would use are ones that have an ingredient list that's like 5-7 long because they're artisan soaps and aren't as stripping and harsh as today's generic soaps. Yardley's is a very good company and you can pick up a bar for $1. I'd cut back on exfoliating to once a week because scrubbing skin cells off and exposing new skin cells to scalding hot water can cause more issues in the long run. Afterwards I suggest taking foot moisturizer with natural oils like coconut and slathering a generous amount and wearing socks over the moisturized feet overnight. Rinse off in lukewarm water in the morning then repeat and see how that goes.

Eh, I can't imagine cycling with dry skin on my feet, that must hurt. Just as Rhodolite said, maybe use lotion or something that actually helps.

Rhodolite pretty much covered everything you can do to avoid the dry, cracked feet situation. I've dealt with that in the past, and it's quite annoying to say the least. It's never something that you want to experience, and it can be difficult to tackle when it occurs.

Reactions: Clairelouise84
I've found that rubbing Vaseline on my feet and then covering them with socks before I go to bed helps keep my feet soft and well moisturized. You can try doing that after you finish riding. I would also try powdering your feet before a ride. Baby powder would probably be fine but there's also powder specifically for feet. You might be able to find some for dry feet.

Rhodolite said:
Do you use super hot water? Soap to clean? There's tons of contributing factors that lead to dry cracked skin. Generally it's better to use lukewarm water since it's less harsh and doesn't strip as many collected natural body oils. The only soaps I would use are ones that have an ingredient list that's like 5-7 long because they're artisan soaps and aren't as stripping and harsh as today's generic soaps. Yardley's is a very good company and you can pick up a bar for $1. I'd cut back on exfoliating to once a week because scrubbing skin cells off and exposing new skin cells to scalding hot water can cause more issues in the long run. Afterwards I suggest taking foot moisturizer with natural oils like coconut and slathering a generous amount and wearing socks over the moisturized feet overnight. Rinse off in lukewarm water in the morning then repeat and see how that goes.
That's excellent advice about the temperature of water. Since I have had cold showers on a daily basis, which obviously includes washing my feet, my skin has completely changed. Before I always had dry skin and needed to moisturize it at least once a day, but these days my skin is all soft and dewy. I can't believe the difference.
Aloe Vera is a good natural moisturizer that you can use on your feet. It also has an anti-bacterial effect.

The salt from your sweat may be a reason they dry out so bad after a longer ride. Cotton socks are good as they can absorb moisture, but I don't know if they absorb the salts in sweat as well. Try putting foot cream on before your ride. It will stain your socks over time, but it might help your skin retain more of the oils it needs so badly. To help your socks last longer when they are going to get foot cream on them, try soaking them in hot water with a little oxyclean before washing them as usual. Oxyclean is a very good degreaser, probably the only thing I know of that would be able to break down moisturizer oils and get them to come out of the cloth.

Rhodolite said:
To be honest I do have the water hotter than most, the OH thinks I am cooking lobsters in the bath sometimes so I will turn that down as it will not be helping as you say. I will try some yardleys if they are gentle. I use moisturiser every day and night, but I will do he sock thing definitely, thanks for the advice!

StrawberryCat said:
I've found that rubbing Vaseline on my feet and then covering them with socks before I go to bed helps keep my feet soft and well moisturized. You can try doing that after you finish riding. I would also try powdering your feet before a ride. Baby powder would probably be fine but there's also powder specifically for feet. You might be able to find some for dry feet.
I will try the vaseline definitely as I use a moisturiser but I am not sure that it is intensive enough for my dry skin. I will also try powdering my feet, thanks for the advice!

DancingLady said:
The salt from your sweat may be a reason they dry out so bad after a longer ride. Cotton socks are good as they can absorb moisture, but I don't know if they absorb the salts in sweat as well. Try putting foot cream on before your ride. It will stain your socks over time, but it might help your skin retain more of the oils it needs so badly. To help your socks last longer when they are going to get foot cream on them, try soaking them in hot water with a little oxyclean before washing them as usual. Oxyclean is a very good degreaser, probably the only thing I know of that would be able to break down moisturizer oils and get them to come out of the cloth.
Thank you I will definitely try that, I moisturise my feet all of the time but it does not see to be helping but thanks for the tip about oxyclean, I will definitely be using that in my next laundry load!

I don't know if this was mentioned already or not, (I didn't read all the comments), but coconut oil. Just straight up oil rubbed on your feet and they'll lol and feel better than ever before. I don't wear shoes... Unless I am leaving my property. Otherwise my feet go all natural! I use coconut oil and you can not tell how rough I am on them,'at all.

kana_marie said:
I don't know if this was mentioned already or not, (I didn't read all the comments), but coconut oil. Just straight up oil rubbed on your feet and they'll lol and feel better than ever before. I don't wear shoes... Unless I am leaving my property. Otherwise my feet go all natural! I use coconut oil and you can not tell how rough I am on them,'at all.
I will give that a whirl too, thank you! I am the same, I only wear shoes when I absolutely have to, even outside and we have a part pebble back garden.

There are several things I do to keep my feet soft. Every week I give myself a foot bath and I put Epsom salt and apple cider vinegar in the water and use a pumice stone to get all the dead skin off. Then after I have cleaned my feet and dried them I put Vaseline on them and then I put socks on. I do all this at the end of my week every week and I have no dead skin. Oh, and every night after the shower I still keep Vaseline and socks on.

Hope this helps!

I also suffer from dry skin. Two things I swear by are vaseline and almond oil. I apply vaseline all day actually whenever any body part feels dry. Almond oil (on smell at oil btw), I apply immediately I get out of the shower when my body is still warm and not completely dry. I pay special attention to the soles of my feet. Almond oil is so moisturizing, I find it unbelievable sometimes.

You should change the type of moisturising lotion that does not work well with your feet. Consult your doctor for other available brands and try it out. Being dry, your skin might be cracked and painful.

There are several things that can contribute to dry skin such as hot showers, too much sun, wind or if you are riding in the cold. I woud suggest trying creams on it until you find the right one for you and make sure to apply it before and after your ride, it should help.

This is quite embarrassing but for the purpose of this thread let me say it. My problem is not the drying skin on my feet when I go biking. On the contrary, my feet get wet same as my hands. They are naturally sweaty. But bothers me is the odor of my feet, hahahaaa. I had tried many times foot deodorants but when I don't apply the odor comes back. So I guess it's not bacteria after all. But is there a natural odor like that?

Can I suggest O'Keefe's Healthy Feet or their Working Hands brand of cream? It works wonders for my guy who suffers the same issue you mentioned.

I have to second (third? fourth?) the vaseline recommendation. A thick layer of vaseline followed by a fresh pair of socks before bed will have your feet notably improved by morning. After a few days of that they should be completely back to normal.

Another thing I would recommend is a pedicure. They can exfoliate off anything dead and massage lotion and moisturizers into your skin. The nail polish is just a nice side effect! :D