dry tyres - safety risk?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Fm, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fm

Fm Guest

Hi all

I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot about on the path/road for
    some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked. I just wondered how
    much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any help/advice/humorous comments.

Me!

Tags:

2. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

FM wrote:
    > I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot about on the path/road for
    > some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked. I just wondered how
    > much of a safety risk y'all think this could be?

Surface crazing won't matter if the tyres don't have any deep damage. I might not risk it though if
    the tyres were many years old and look rotten.

~PB

3. M Series

M Series Guest

For the sake of less that £20 change them

"FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot
    about
    > on the path/road for some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked.
    > I just wondered how much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any
    > help/advice/humorous comments.
    >
    > Me!

4. "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> For the sake of less that £20 change them

Yep, I would never take a risk with dodgy tyres! They are the only thing that connect you
    and the road.

5. "FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    about
    > on the path/road for some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked.
    > I just wondered how much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any

Pump them up far too hard and leave overnight to see if they are going to explode. Replacing the
    front tyre would be wise.

> Me!

6. I rode on the kind of cracked tyres you describe once, after deciding to cycle again after years of
    leaving the bike in a corner. After 10 miles, the front one punctured.

The Real Lee Casey

"FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    about
    >
    > Me!

7. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:05:25 +0100, "The Knight Who Says ....... Ni!" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Pump them up far too hard and leave overnight to see if they are going to explode.

That's what I'd do. Make it about 50% more than the tyres' rates pressure. Will also check
    for rim wear.

Suggestion: wear specs or goggles and trousers with knees in case of catastrophic failure.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.