dry tyres - safety risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fm

Hi all

I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot about on the path/road for
some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked. I just wondered how
much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any help/advice/humorous comments.

Me!

FM wrote:
> I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot about on the path/road for
> some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked. I just wondered how
> much of a safety risk y'all think this could be?

Surface crazing won't matter if the tyres don't have any deep damage. I might not risk it though if
the tyres were many years old and look rotten.

~PB

For the sake of less that £20 change them

"FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot
about
> on the path/road for some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked.
> I just wondered how much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any
> help/advice/humorous comments.
>
> Me!

> Hi all
>
about
> on the path/road for some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked.
> I just wondered how much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any

Pump them up far too hard and leave overnight to see if they are going to explode. Replacing the
front tyre would be wise.

> Me!

I rode on the kind of cracked tyres you describe once, after deciding to cycle again after years of
leaving the bike in a corner. After 10 miles, the front one punctured.

The Real Lee Casey

> Hi all
>
about
>
> Me!

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:05:25 +0100, "The Knight Who Says ....... Ni!" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Pump them up far too hard and leave overnight to see if they are going to explode.

That's what I'd do. Make it about 50% more than the tyres' rates pressure. Will also check
for rim wear.

Suggestion: wear specs or goggles and trousers with knees in case of catastrophic failure.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.