dry tyres - safety risk?

Fm

Guest
Hi all

I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot about on the path/road for
some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked. I just wondered how
much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any help/advice/humorous comments.

Me!

FM wrote:
> I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot about on the path/road for
> some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked. I just wondered how
> much of a safety risk y'all think this could be?

Surface crazing won't matter if the tyres don't have any deep damage. I might not risk it though if
the tyres were many years old and look rotten.

~PB

For the sake of less that £20 change them

"FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot
about
> on the path/road for some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked.
> I just wondered how much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any
> help/advice/humorous comments.
>
> Me!

"FM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I've an old bike in the shed. Everything about it will do for a scoot
about
> on the path/road for some exercise. But the tyres look a bit dry on the outside, kind of cracked.
> I just wondered how much of a safety risk y'all think this could be? Thank you for any
> help/advice/humorous comments.

Pump them up far too hard and leave overnight to see if they are going to explode. Replacing the
front tyre would be wise.

> Me!

I rode on the kind of cracked tyres you describe once, after deciding to cycle again after years of
leaving the bike in a corner. After 10 miles, the front one punctured.

The Real Lee Casey

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:05:25 +0100, "The Knight Who Says ....... Ni!" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Pump them up far too hard and leave overnight to see if they are going to explode.

That's what I'd do. Make it about 50% more than the tyres' rates pressure. Will also check
for rim wear.

Suggestion: wear specs or goggles and trousers with knees in case of catastrophic failure.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.