Drying cycle gear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pippin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Pippin

Pippin New Member

I've been charged by my employer with the honorus task of finding an electric drying cabinet for those who get soaked cycling to work.
    Personally, I don't get it, why not just dump your wet gubbins into a carrier bag and wash them at home, but ...
    Have you got good advice on the best way of drying wet gear at work?
    Have you heard of a manufacturer of electric drying cupboards?

Cheers!
    :eek:

Tags:

2. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

3. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

Most cycling gear will be ruined if force-dried.
    Time was when you got to work, wet or dry, and got on with your job. It didn't matter how you got in.

4. Eden

Eden New Member

Gotta agree with Don, use heat to dry your lycra and it'll fall apart. I always just put the stuff on the no heat spin setting (takes about 2.5 hours to dry a whole load it like this) or dry it on a rack - depends on how much time I have.
    I only walk about 2 blocks to get to work so I don't have to worry so much about getting wet, but if I did bike commute it would be nice to have a place to dry wet stuff for the trip home. Sure I'd want to change when I got there into work clothes, but I wouldn't really relish putting my wet things back on for the trip home.

5. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

I keep a spare pair of shorts and a pair of socks at work and wear a race cape if it rains. It isnt only cyclists who get wet, or for that matter who sweat on a hot day. I don't think that facilities for cyclists can really be justified.

6. athoma00

athoma00 New Member

just a steady stream of normal temperature is all thats needed. I'm lucky to work at an industrial site with lots of fan cooled motors and equipment rooms with strong aircon I can hang my clothes in. It's nice to have dry clothing to get back into before leaving for home - even though its probably still persisting down outside :eek:

7. bluecann

bluecann New Member

hmmm, when i take mine out of the washer and hang them to dry it only takes a couple hours and theyre dry and most of that time is for the chamois. i say just wring them out & hang them. they should dry themselves by the time work is over.

8. Pippin

Pippin New Member

I guess I'm in the minority here, when I say that lycra makes you look like a complete idiot. Just my opinion, I'm sure some people really dig it. Anyway I'm a baggy shorts and T-shirt kind of a guy, and that takes a bit longer to drain.
    Most of the guys who cycle round here are old duffers on creaky racers anyway, I haven't seen them cycling, but I can't imagine their into The Fashion.
    I've only actually cycled to work once, as its about sixteen miles each way, but I promise to start Reeeeeall soon.
    For the moment, though, I'm car sharing with a nice guy who loves to rant about cyclists running lights, hopping on pavements and generally abusing the roads with suicidal glee. Bless.

9. Peka

Peka New Member

If you're going to be riding 16miles each way, your ass will thank you for buying proper (padded) cycling pants ;)