DS-trainer replacement

j000

Guest
I have run on Ds-trainers since they came out in 95...I loved the lightness and it felt
stable...Howver last year the changes Asics made ruined the shoe in my opnion...the fit changed..it
didn't feel as snug and it felt more rigid...

I decided to try the kayano and even though a totally different style of shoe I loved it..the
cushioning and stability...but I found two problems..one I got some blistering on the bottom
midsole...and some burning on the forefoot...problems I never had with my beloved ds-trainers...

I have read over the runners world reviews...and I am confused as to what to get now...The kayano it
seems has tried to fix the blistering but it weighs over 14 oz and the Ds-tainer sounds like its
going from bad to worse...

Any Ds-trainer runners out there who can give me a hand...Has anybody tried the swerve...It sounds
like a version of the ole DS...I really like the snug fit..I don't like to move around too
much...and lightness is important even though I enjoyed the ride of the kayano...any help would be
appreciated..

Thanks in advance

The Kayano is a motion control shoe and far, far different than the DS-Trainer. I had some DS-
Trainers a couple years ago and liked them, although they felt to me a little on the firm side. Also
had the Spy which was an update to the Swerve and did not like them too much. Not too flexible and
also quite firm, actually gave them to charity after perhaps a couple hundred miles. Now I use the
NB 833 which are light, very smooth feel, just the right amount of cushioning, and fairly stable.

> I have run on Ds-trainers since they came out in 95...I loved the lightness and it felt
> stable...Howver last year the changes Asics made ruined the shoe in my opnion...the fit
> changed..it didn't feel as snug and it felt more rigid...
>
> I decided to try the kayano and even though a totally different style of shoe I loved it..the
> cushioning and stability...but I found two problems..one I got some blistering on the bottom
> midsole...and some burning on the forefoot...problems I never had with my beloved ds-trainers...
>
> I have read over the runners world reviews...and I am confused as to what to get now...The kayano
> it seems has tried to fix the blistering but it weighs over 14 oz and the Ds-tainer sounds like
> its going from bad to worse...
>
> Any Ds-trainer runners out there who can give me a hand...Has anybody tried the swerve...It sounds
> like a version of the ole DS...I really like the snug fit..I don't like to move around too
> much...and lightness is important even though I enjoyed the ride of the kayano...any help would be
> appreciated..
>
> Thanks in advance

ds trainer to kayano makes no sense at all...on so many levels....i won't bother to count the ways.

a couple of weeks ago i posted that the new ds trainer 9 is out....the 8 model disappointed many the
loved the 7 and 6 model. have no clue on the 9.

i recently also posted a thread titled a shoe with a story. that shoe might be a fit for you as it's
a slighly more built up light weight trainer...called the Landreth. this would be a step up from a
light weight trainer, but some steps down from a kayano....but imo on your comments, a good fit.

"Terry Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Kayano is a motion control shoe <snip>

Technically, the Kayano is in the "stability" class; the Koji is ASICS' top "motion control" model.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
eNo

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have run on Ds-trainers since they came out in 95...I loved the lightness and it felt
> stable...Howver last year the changes Asics made ruined the shoe in my opnion...the fit
> changed..it didn't feel as snug and it felt more rigid...
>
> I decided to try the kayano and even though a totally different style of shoe I loved it..the
> cushioning and stability...but I found two problems..one I got some blistering on the bottom
> midsole...and some burning on the forefoot...problems I never had with my beloved ds-trainers...
>
> I have read over the runners world reviews...and I am confused as to what to get now...The kayano
> it seems has tried to fix the blistering but it weighs over 14 oz and the Ds-tainer sounds like
> its going from bad to worse...
>
> Any Ds-trainer runners out there who can give me a hand...Has anybody tried the swerve...It sounds
> like a version of the ole DS...I really like the snug fit..I don't like to move around too
> much...and lightness is important even though I enjoyed the ride of the kayano...any help would be
> appreciated..

If you don't mind changing brands I'd try the Nike Zoom Elite, New Balance 900, and Mizuno Maverick.
All are similar to the DS Trainer in stability and weight.

Jim Johnson

Also was an ardent fan of the old DS trainers - try the 2080 or Verdict. I predominantly now use
2080's and have found them to be a good mix of stability and cushioning for longer runs and use the
verdicts for shorter and speed work.

Terry Smith wrote:

> Runners World just did a shoe review and listed the Kayano as "motion control"
>
> http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-52-70-937,FF.html?site=RunnersWorld

Hmmmmmm, RoadRunner Sports lists it as a stability shoe. So does telerunner and Eastbay. Some of the
shoe manufactures have created a hybrid line called "cushion support" which I believe is accurate
for the Asics 20nn line. Between materials, heel support and arch technology they are better at
giving the shoe a stable ride without giving up all the cushioning. An excellent blend for the mild
pronator. If this category catches on, meaning it sells, more companies will jump on this wagon
whether true or hype. It's a very vague line between the three major categories.

As with any shoe you have to try them on and wear test to be sure.

Thanks for the comments...I realize that the kayano is a totally different shoe than the DS
trainer.. My thinking was that the kayano had the speva and alot of the asics higher end
stuff...plus it is a beautiful shoe...and thought...you know...maybe its time to try a little
heavier shoe..and I am an efficient runner so the morion control/stability isn't going to hurt...

anyway...I am very interested in the nike zoom elite...I swore I would never buy anything other
than asics..essentially for the fit...the problem I had with the kayano is in Canada we were only
offered one width...and I found the toe box alittle roomy...the 2090 also looks good so I think I
will take a look at that.. also the saucony swerve...I run about 7 minute miles..I am in my 40's do
alot of yoga and weights and run 5-6 times a week..long run varies throught eh year between 10 -
18...run treadmills in the winter...I have really bad ankles..broke them playing football..but had
no problem with the Ds ...I have been having burning on the forefront with the kayano...again
thanks for the advice..

Jake