DT Hugi road hubs ?!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ivan Milun, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Ivan Milun

    Ivan Milun Guest

    Hi !

    does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says that it's better than DA
    hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better ride control and etc.). I would like to combine
    this hubs with ambrosio excellence rims, seems like very good combination for my colnago dream.

    Thanks and regards

    ivan

    Tags:

  2. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi !
    >
    > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
    -----------

    I cant compare to too much, except they are certainly lighter than my other shimano hubs. I bought a
    pair of bontrager race x-lights that are built with these hubs I believe (although they are marked
    bontrager).

    The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....

  3. Ivan: Bontrager uses high-end Hugi hubs in their RaceX-Lite wheelsets, and they've worked very well.
    They are lighter than DuraAce, and they may have lower rolling resistance (although I'm not aware of
    that being a feature, and, if they do offer lower rolling resistance, the difference is probably so
    small that it drops out as "noise" in the overall scheme of things).

    But "better ride control?" Hey, I like the hubs, but think that's a bit of a stretch! What about a
    hub would give you "better ride control" over another? Perhaps a design that had less dish and yet
    still maintained a wide stance for the rear wheel? Other than that, I can't think of anything, so I
    suspect that somebody's trying a bit too hard to sell them.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

  4. In article <[email protected]>, ivan milun <[email protected]> wrote:
    >does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says that it's better than DA
    >hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better ride control and etc.).

    Pfft ride control. Ask him if it will help your sex life as well.

    >I would like to combine this hubs with ambrosio excellence rims, seems like very good combination
    >for my colnago dream.

    I have the pre-240 model road hub on my mountain bike and on one of my road bikes. They have been
    completely reliable for me, even with plenty of wet and occasional complete immersion on the
    mountain bike, about 7-8 years of use on that one. I find them fairly noisy, a little noisier than
    my Campy freehub. No complaints, they work great.

    I don't know about where you live, but in the US those hubs are very expensive. I don't think I
    could justify paying retail prices for them, they aren't that great. My second set I got used for
    pretty cheap, I don't think I would have bought them otherwise.

    --Paul

  5. ivan-<< does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says that it's better
    than DA hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better ride control and etc.). Makes me wonder
    if your dealer either hasn't ever seen DA hubs or has a pile of Hugi hubs to ge rid of. Hugi hubs
    are nice but for the price, I think DA (or Record/Chorus/Centaur) is a better hubset. Common parts,
    very durable, easy to service, works well.

    Hugi hubs Less rolling resistence?with cart bearings, not so. Better ride control?what on earth does
    this mean.

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi !
    > >
    > > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
    > -----------
    >
    > I cant compare to too much, except they are certainly lighter than my other shimano hubs. I bought
    > a pair of bontrager race x-lights that are built with these hubs I believe (although they are
    > marked bontrager).
    >
    > The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....

    Don't let any of the resident "engineers" hear you say that! Don't you know that there's no
    appreciable difference between hubs??! Its all in your mind.

    At least that is what they keep trying to tell me about stuff like this...

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi !
    > >
    > > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
    > -----------
    >
    > I cant compare to too much, except they are certainly lighter than my other shimano hubs. I bought
    > a pair of bontrager race x-lights that are built with these hubs I believe (although they are
    > marked bontrager).
    >
    > The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....

    They've changed something, then, 'cuz all the Hugis I've come across were incredibly loud. The Hugi
    sound is well known...

    IMO the design is not as good as Shimano. First, it doesn't move the bearings out to the ends of the
    axle like Shimano does. Second, the ratchet mechanism has many times more friction area than Shimano
    hubs', which usually isn't a problem except when water/dirt gets in there, causing it to stick.
    Water and dirt *do* get in there, because of the big seal diameter which isn't sealed all that well.
    These hubs sticking was a common problem with mountain bikes. Finally, if you do need to service the
    hubs, the bearings are sealed units which have to be replaced, rather than just plain old ball
    bearings that can be cleaned and reassembled like Shimano.

    Hugi hubs came about as an answer to a question few people were asking, namely broken pawls from
    really high loads imposed by tandem riders. The Hugi design may or may not have solved that problem,
    while introducing other ones. MTB riders took to them because of the misconception they need extra
    heavy duty equipment, and later because they thought they needed lightweight stuff (spend $300 to
    save a couple of ounces).

    Matt O.

  8. Ivan Milun

    Ivan Milun Guest

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pfft ride control. Ask him if it will help your sex life as well.

    :)) Thast's what i thought also...I'll ask my girlfriend should I buy this
    hubs :)

    > I don't know about where you live, but in the US those hubs are very expensive. I don't think I
    > could justify paying retail prices for them, they aren't that great. My second set I got used for
    > pretty cheap, I don't think I would have bought them otherwise.

    Well, I live in Europe, Croatia, and I will buy this wheels in Slovenia ( I can import them without
    paying any taxes) and it cost me 400 euros. Hubs, ambrosio exccelence rims, niples and spokes.
    Building of wheels included in price. Do you think this is too much for this wheels?

    thanks! regards ivan

  9. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi !
    > > >
    > > > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
    > > -----------
    > > The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....

    > Don't let any of the resident "engineers" hear you say that! Don't you know that there's no
    > appreciable difference between hubs??!
    --------------
    well, there facts, there's opinions, and there's hearsay... I like to experience firsthand, or know
    all about the source of the info, and how it was tested.

    as far as hubs go, there are some pretty different configurations of bearings, and internals of
    freehubs. I'd have to believe that there are differences in weight, rolling resistance, and
    durability, but I doubt there has been any truely subjective engineering comparision between brands
    published to the public.

  10. In article <[email protected]>, ivan milun <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, I live in Europe, Croatia, and I will buy this wheels in Slovenia ( I can import them without
    >paying any taxes) and it cost me 400 euros. Hubs, ambrosio exccelence rims, niples and spokes.
    >Building of wheels included in price. Do you think this is too much for this wheels?

    I think that is a pretty good deal actually, that is cheaper than you could buy that wheelset for in
    the US. Here the hubset alone would be more like 350+ euros.

    --Paul

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    ...you forgot "at least that's what they tell me." I'm on your side.

    For my unscientific testing apparatus: my bikes and body, I can feel some of the differences. I
    swear that some of the American Classic hubs I have ridden are smoother than the Shimano hubs...