DT Hugi road hubs ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ivan Milun

Hi !

does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says that it's better than DA
hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better ride control and etc.). I would like to combine
this hubs with ambrosio excellence rims, seems like very good combination for my colnago dream.

Thanks and regards

ivan

"ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi !
>
> does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
-----------

I cant compare to too much, except they are certainly lighter than my other shimano hubs. I bought a
pair of bontrager race x-lights that are built with these hubs I believe (although they are marked
bontrager).

The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....

d

Ivan: Bontrager uses high-end Hugi hubs in their RaceX-Lite wheelsets, and they've worked very well.
They are lighter than DuraAce, and they may have lower rolling resistance (although I'm not aware of
that being a feature, and, if they do offer lower rolling resistance, the difference is probably so
small that it drops out as "noise" in the overall scheme of things).

But "better ride control?" Hey, I like the hubs, but think that's a bit of a stretch! What about a
hub would give you "better ride control" over another? Perhaps a design that had less dish and yet
still maintained a wide stance for the rear wheel? Other than that, I can't think of anything, so I
suspect that somebody's trying a bit too hard to sell them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

"ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi !
>
> does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says
that
> it's better than DA hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better
ride
> control and etc.). I would like to combine this hubs with ambrosio excellence rims, seems
> very good combination for my colnago dream.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> ivan

In article <[email protected]>, ivan milun <[email protected]> wrote:
>does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says that it's better than DA
>hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better ride control and etc.).

Pfft ride control. Ask him if it will help your sex life as well.

>I would like to combine this hubs with ambrosio excellence rims, seems like very good combination
>for my colnago dream.

I have the pre-240 model road hub on my mountain bike and on one of my road bikes. They have been
completely reliable for me, even with plenty of wet and occasional complete immersion on the
mountain bike, about 7-8 years of use on that one. I find them fairly noisy, a little noisier than
my Campy freehub. No complaints, they work great.

I don't know about where you live, but in the US those hubs are very expensive. I don't think I
could justify paying retail prices for them, they aren't that great. My second set I got used for
pretty cheap, I don't think I would have bought them otherwise.

--Paul

ivan-<< does anyone have some experience with these hubs? My retail dealer says that it's better
than DA hubs (less rolling resistance, lightweight, better ride control and etc.). Makes me wonder
if your dealer either hasn't ever seen DA hubs or has a pile of Hugi hubs to ge rid of. Hugi hubs
are nice but for the price, I think DA (or Record/Chorus/Centaur) is a better hubset. Common parts,
very durable, easy to service, works well.

Hugi hubs Less rolling resistence?with cart bearings, not so. Better ride control?what on earth does
this mean.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi !
> >
> > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
> -----------
>
> I cant compare to too much, except they are certainly lighter than my other shimano hubs. I bought
> a pair of bontrager race x-lights that are built with these hubs I believe (although they are
> marked bontrager).
>
> The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....
>
> d

Don't let any of the resident "engineers" hear you say that! Don't you know that there's no
appreciable difference between hubs??! Its all in your mind.

At least that is what they keep trying to tell me about stuff like this...

> "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Hi !
> >
> > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
> -----------
>
> I cant compare to too much, except they are certainly lighter than my other shimano hubs. I bought
> a pair of bontrager race x-lights that are built with these hubs I believe (although they are
> marked bontrager).
>
> The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....

They've changed something, then, 'cuz all the Hugis I've come across were incredibly loud. The Hugi
sound is well known...

IMO the design is not as good as Shimano. First, it doesn't move the bearings out to the ends of the
axle like Shimano does. Second, the ratchet mechanism has many times more friction area than Shimano
hubs', which usually isn't a problem except when water/dirt gets in there, causing it to stick.
Water and dirt *do* get in there, because of the big seal diameter which isn't sealed all that well.
These hubs sticking was a common problem with mountain bikes. Finally, if you do need to service the
hubs, the bearings are sealed units which have to be replaced, rather than just plain old ball
bearings that can be cleaned and reassembled like Shimano.

Hugi hubs came about as an answer to a question few people were asking, namely broken pawls from
really high loads imposed by tandem riders. The Hugi design may or may not have solved that problem,
while introducing other ones. MTB riders took to them because of the misconception they need extra
heavy duty equipment, and later because they thought they needed lightweight stuff (spend $300 to
save a couple of ounces).

Matt O.

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pfft ride control. Ask him if it will help your sex life as well.

:)) Thast's what i thought also...I'll ask my girlfriend should I buy this
hubs :)

> I don't know about where you live, but in the US those hubs are very expensive. I don't think I
> could justify paying retail prices for them, they aren't that great. My second set I got used for
> pretty cheap, I don't think I would have bought them otherwise.

Well, I live in Europe, Croatia, and I will buy this wheels in Slovenia ( I can import them without
paying any taxes) and it cost me 400 euros. Hubs, ambrosio exccelence rims, niples and spokes.
Building of wheels included in price. Do you think this is too much for this wheels?

thanks! regards ivan

"Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
> > -----------
> > The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....
> >
> > d
>
> Don't let any of the resident "engineers" hear you say that! Don't you know that there's no
> appreciable difference between hubs??!
--------------
well, there facts, there's opinions, and there's hearsay... I like to experience firsthand, or know
all about the source of the info, and how it was tested.

as far as hubs go, there are some pretty different configurations of bearings, and internals of
freehubs. I'd have to believe that there are differences in weight, rolling resistance, and
durability, but I doubt there has been any truely subjective engineering comparision between brands
published to the public.

D

In article <[email protected]>, ivan milun <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Well, I live in Europe, Croatia, and I will buy this wheels in Slovenia ( I can import them without
>paying any taxes) and it cost me 400 euros. Hubs, ambrosio exccelence rims, niples and spokes.
>Building of wheels included in price. Do you think this is too much for this wheels?

I think that is a pretty good deal actually, that is cheaper than you could buy that wheelset for in
the US. Here the hubset alone would be more like 350+ euros.

--Paul

...you forgot "at least that's what they tell me." I'm on your side.

For my unscientific testing apparatus: my bikes and body, I can feel some of the differences. I
swear that some of the American Classic hubs I have ridden are smoother than the Shimano hubs...

> "Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
> > "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "ivan milun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > > Hi !
> > > >
> > > > does anyone have some experience with these hubs?
> > > -----------
> ...
> > > The cassette is weirdly quiet, but I kinda like it that way. They sure do roll nicely....
> > >
> > > d
> >
> > Don't let any of the resident "engineers" hear you say that! Don't you know that there's no
> > appreciable difference between hubs??!
> --------------
> well, there facts, there's opinions, and there's hearsay... I like to experience firsthand, or
> know all about the source of the info, and how it was tested.
>
> as far as hubs go, there are some pretty different configurations of bearings, and internals of
> freehubs. I'd have to believe that there are differences in weight, rolling resistance, and
> durability, but I doubt there has been any truely subjective engineering comparision between
> brands published to the public.
>
> D

Status
Not open for further replies.