DT now in the rim business....

Slacker

Guest
< from http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/index.jsp >

JANUARY 29, 2003 -- GRAND JUNCTION, CO (BRAIN)--DT Swiss is ready to ship the rear shock and a rim
line that it introduced last year.

"Rims are a logical extension of our wheel related product line. The shock, which is well received
in Europe, showcases all the fine Swiss machining and quality construction we are known for," said
Paul Aieta, DT Swiss USA's general manager.

DT's two mountain bike rims--one for rim brakes and one for disc brakes--feature patent-pending
welded and machined technology and are anodized black. They retail for $65 and weigh 425 grams (14.9
ounces). Road and trekking will be available in the fall. The SSD 210L shock, which has been used as
original equipment by 20 European bike companies, retails for $425.

The company's spoke line also has new additions. The Aerolite is a new lightweight, butted and
bladed spoke. The blackened spokes have a higher tensile strength that DT's Revolutions because
of the cold working done during the blading process. But the technology carries a hefty price.
One Aerolite spoke with alloy nipple retails for $3.50, compared to $1.50 for a Revolution spoke
and nipple.

DT Swiss products are available from Bicycle Technology International and Quality Bicycle Products.

--
Slacker

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Rims are a logical extension of our wheel related product line. The shock, which is well received
> in Europe, showcases all the fine Swiss machining and quality construction we are known for," said
> Paul Aieta, DT Swiss USA's general manager.

Damn those Edge Cycles riding freaks at DT Swiss USA.

BTW slacker....old news travels slowly.

JD

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>DT's two mountain bike rims--one for rim brakes and one for disc brakes--feature patent-pending
>welded and machined technology and are anodized black.

Great... they follow the market and add the two features that don't really improve the rim (welded
joint and machined sidewalls), and then anodize it to make sure it's more likely to crack at the
spoke holes. Well, I guess that's OK as long as they charge less than the Mavic rims with all the
same problems, errr, features and they're lighter...

>They retail for $65 and weigh 425 grams

Ummm, never mind.

>The company's spoke line also has new additions. The Aerolite is a new lightweight, butted and
>bladed spoke. The blackened spokes have a higher tensile strength that DT's Revolutions because
>of the cold working done during the blading process. But the technology carries a hefty price.
>One Aerolite spoke with alloy nipple retails for $3.50, compared to $1.50 for a Revolution spoke
>and nipple.

Interesting approach. But most deep dish aero (roadie) wheels that would use bladed spokes are built
up with fewer spokes, which require more tension. The Revolution-size spokes (bladed or not) could
never support the kind of tension required to build a 16, 18, or even 24 spoke wheel. It should be
interesting to see how many folks want to build 28 or 32-spoke deep aero wheels.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >DT's two mountain bike rims--one for rim brakes and one for disc brakes--feature patent-pending
> >welded and machined technology and are anodized black.
>
> Great... they follow the market and add the two features that don't really improve the rim (welded
> joint and machined sidewalls), and then anodize it to make sure it's more likely to crack at the
> spoke holes. Well, I guess that's OK as long as they charge less than the Mavic rims with all the
> same problems, errr, features and they're lighter...

I can say that I am thoroughly unimpressed with them.

JD gimme Mavic 618s

Or Sun Rhyno Lites

TJ My fat ass rides em. They stay true even with my shitty builds.

JD wrote:
> Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>DT's two mountain bike rims--one for rim brakes and one for disc brakes--feature patent-pending
>>>welded and machined technology and are anodized black.
>>
>>Great... they follow the market and add the two features that don't really improve the rim (welded
>>joint and machined sidewalls), and then anodize it to make sure it's more likely to crack at the
>>spoke holes. Well, I guess that's OK as long as they charge less than the Mavic rims with all the
>>same problems, errr, features and they're lighter...
>

> I can say that I am thoroughly unimpressed with them.
>
> JD gimme Mavic 618s

Thats what I got once I cracked my rear 517 on the first ride. We'll see how long the front 517
lasts, although I might sell my bike (to a friend that has 1 DH fully, 1 DH/DS hardtail, but no
longer any XC bike) to get some cash for my new bike :)

Jon "," Bond