DT spoke cal./Precise or rounded?

Rocket69

Dec 23, 2003
Hi all... I used the on-line DT spoke calculator and the results for the front wheel are 293.70mm (Precise) and 292mm rounded (incl. corrections). Which do I use to order my spokes? There is nearly a 2mm difference...

The rear gives me a 1.5mm difference between the "precise" and "rounded" on the left side of the wheel and a 1.9mm difference on the right side of the wheel!

BTW, I will be using 14mm nipples for a Mavic CXP 33 rim w/DA 8 speed hub, crossed 3x (Front/Back wheel), 32 spokes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rocket69

I'd use the rounded figures. It looks to me like the precise figures are calculated based on the geometry and dimensions of the wheel. Many wheelbuilders commonly choose spokes that are a bit shorter than that to assure they won't run out of spoke threads as they tension the wheel.

You want the closest size to the precise calculation, rounded down. The nipples are designed to give you some wiggle room, and 2-3mm short isn't a problem. If you round up and get 294mm for the front, you run the risk of bottoming out, which is bad.

Rocket69 said:
Hi all... I used the on-line DT spoke calculator and the results for the front wheel are 293.70mm (Precise) and 292mm rounded (incl. corrections). Which do I use to order my spokes? There is nearly a 2mm difference...

The rear gives me a 1.5mm difference between the "precise" and "rounded" on the left side of the wheel and a 1.9mm difference on the right side of the wheel!

BTW, I will be using 14mm nipples for a Mavic CXP 33 rim w/DA 8 speed hub, crossed 3x (Front/Back wheel), 32 spokes.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rocket69

Count this as a third vote for rounding down. Better to be a touch short than too long and run out of thread.

John M said:
Count this as a third vote for rounding down. Better to be a touch short than too long and run out of thread.
Agree! Round down. God I need to get a life!!! Chuckle!