DT Spokes have changed?

Muffa

Guest
I have noticed a change to the worse in the shape of the spokes. The bend got sharper and the
distance between head and bend got longer. This makes wheelbuilding more complicated, washers are
always needed to have the shoulder of the spoke touch the flange, even with hubs were this was not
needed previously. What is the reason for this? I suspect it must me marketing, there cant be
technical reasons for this.

muffa-<< I have noticed a change to the worse in the shape of the spokes. The bend got sharper and
the distance between head and bend got longer. This makes wheelbuilding more complicated, washers
are always needed to have the shoulder of the spoke touch the flange, \ They changed to a longer
elbow about 2 years ago and went back to the original shortly thereafter. Was made for thick flange
hubs like CK, Hugi, Campagnolo, XTR.XT. Washers aren't 'always' needed, depends on the flange.

muffa <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have noticed a change to the worse in the shape of the spokes. The bend got sharper and the
> distance between head and bend got longer. This makes wheelbuilding more complicated, washers are
> always needed to have the shoulder of the spoke touch the flange, even with hubs were this was not
> needed previously. What is the reason for this? I suspect it must me marketing, there cant be
> technical reasons for this.

Read all about it here:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/DTspokes.htm

I was unfortunate enough to get a batch of these a few years ago. I ended up re-spoking the wheel
and cutting up the "R" spokes. They were only in circulation for a short time.

Art Harris