dt swiss or sapim/ wheelbuilding

F.G.

Apr 24, 2006
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could tell me which spokes were better, I'm trying to build a set of wheels i was sondering if anyone could give me adviceabout this, which spokes to use or any advice about how to build a wheel?
any help would be welcome.

yours, F.G
thanks

F.G. said:
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could tell me which spokes were better, I'm trying to build a set of wheels i was sondering if anyone could give me adviceabout this, which spokes to use or any advice about how to build a wheel?
any help would be welcome.

yours, F.G
thanks
DT, Sapim, and Wheelsmith are all excellent quality spokes and there should be no qualms about using any of these three manufacturers. If you are going to the trouble of building your own wheels, do yourself a favor and use double butted spokes (14/15). They make for a superior wheel and available from all three manufacturers. Use brass nipples until you are used to building. There are weight advantages to using alloy nipples, but they can be problematic. Brass is tried and true.

Good sources for wheelbuilding:

"The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt (book)
"The Art of Wheelbuilding" by Gerd Schraner (book)
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html - a free, on-line guide to wheelbuilding
Barnett's Manual - the chapters on wheelbuilding and truing

Sheldon's free stuff is superb and will set you on the path to building great wheels. The others are very common references for the task. Take your time and have fun. Good luck!

yeah, all good. Just buy which ever brand is easiest to get a hold of, and/or, is cheaper -- that's what I do. My local shop can get DTs in a day or 2, so that's what I buy