DT Swiss Skewers

bgoetz

Nov 25, 2010
I got a pair for free so I figured I would give them a try. My intial thought is mixed. They clamp tight, are light, and look nice. BUT they wear away at dropouts bad! When tightening I can see metal/carbon shavings coming off! And tightening, it says 15nm, is it possible to "feel" 15nm and get close? The plastic construction is not confidence inspiring either. The thing I like the least is the wear to the dropouts though.

I always questioned the use of those skewers and Spin Stix on CF dropouts.

Would give me the heebee jeebies on CF DOs to see material scraping off. Doesn't sound ideal, but no personal experience.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

I got a pair for free so I figured I would give them a try. My intial thought is mixed. They clamp tight, are light, and look nice. BUT they wear away at dropouts bad! When tightening I can see metal/carbon shavings coming off! And tightening, it says 15nm, is it possible to "feel" 15nm and get close? The plastic construction is not confidence inspiring either. The thing I like the least is the wear to the dropouts though.
There is a procedure on qr scewers... You might know it but here it goes:

You place the scewer and start tighting the screw with the lever parallel to the scewer.

When you cannot longer screw the lever nut (dont apply too much force), turn the lever to the closed position.

If you dont remove and replace your wheels every day the damage will be less.

There is also the option of creating some protective coating on the dropouts, but I am a bit sceptical about this in case that it might, hmmm, dunno, make them explode or something? Or maybe tighten too much??? I really dont know what could go wrong... but!... you might wanna apply some electrical tape over the contact area of the drop outs with the scewer nuts...

You might want to check about that first though in case it will weaken the qr hold on the frame-wheel assembly... somehow...

Originally Posted by Volnix .

There is also the option of creating some protective coating on the dropouts, but I am a bit sceptical about this in case that it might, hmmm, dunno, make them explode or something? Or maybe tighten too much??? I really dont know what could go wrong... but!... you might wanna apply some electrical tape over the contact area of the drop outs with the scewer nuts...

You might want to check about that first though in case it will weaken the qr hold on the frame-wheel assembly... somehow...
Electrical tape is a really poor idea. It'll smear and squish and generally degrade the grip of the q/r.

Any protective coating has to be stronger than the dropout surface to make any sense.
And since wheels slipping in dropouts is a regularly reported problem, it seems like more people are asking about more bite, not less

Volnix said:
There is a procedure on qr scewers... You might know it but here it goes:
Haha, yeah I know how to tighten a skewer, these are DT skewers, which don't tighten like conventional skewers.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Haha, yeah I know how to tighten a skewer, these are DT skewers, which don't tighten like conventional skewers.
Are they like these?

Quote: Originally Posted by dabac .

Electrical tape is a really poor idea. It'll smear and squish and generally degrade the grip of the q/r.

Any protective coating has to be stronger than the dropout surface to make any sense.
And since wheels slipping in dropouts is a regularly reported problem, it seems like more people are asking about more bite, not less

I knew that it didnt sound too right... Actually after the electrical tape when mashed between the contact areas it might even work as a "ghetto thread lock" compound
big-smile.png

So what else? Install a pair of extra washers? Metallic-plastic coated ones?