DT Swiss SSD 225 Rear Air Shock

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by NYC XYZ, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Say, anyone know anything about this thingamajig?

    I was just about to adjust it WRT air pressure and damping. So I
    released all the air. Now the thing won't pump back up!

    Unless I have a defective air shock pump, the shock itself must be
    broken somehow!

    The mechanic who'd installed it at the shop said to put some WD-40 on
    it, but no luck...if anything, it seems to be even worse off! By "it"
    I mean that business end of the whole piston-looking contraption, that
    part which goes in and out of the air chamber. After a bit of WD-40,
    it hardly extends at all.

    Any ideas WTF is going on????

    I'm taking the unit to an LBS to see if they can figure it out, but in
    the meantime, no ride!

    Worst of all, there's no manual for this particular model air shock
    from DT Swiss, and their site is pretty but of no help.

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:

    > Very interesting experience...I'd buy DT Swiss for sure next time!

    So you get something which doesn't work properly and means you can't
    ride, and you use that as a basis to buy from them next time...?

    > a matter of fact, I'm already looking at their 210 model, which is a
    > 225 with a lock-out...I wonder if that would work with the HP Velo
    > SMGTe -- the lock-out suspends the suspension, it turns it off, as it
    > were, so that the bike becomes a hard-tail!

    Why would you want to do that? It's quite useful on MTBs to stop
    climbing pogo but you've already got that pretty much nailed through the
    No-Squat geometry of the suspension design. You'd just be paying more
    money for something of no particular use.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:

    > So you get something which doesn't work properly and means you can't
    > ride, and you use that as a basis to buy from them next time...?

    I was rather impressed with the customer service. Unless things I buy
    from them keep malfunctioning, it's nice to know that I have the
    company behind me.

    > Why would you want to do that? It's quite useful on MTBs to stop
    > climbing pogo but you've already got that pretty much nailed through the
    > No-Squat geometry of the suspension design. You'd just be paying more
    > money for something of no particular use.

    Well, surely there's *some* slight "pogo"...it's a shock, after all, it
    can't be as rigid as a for-real hard-tail ride....

    Anyway, I was just curious. Perhaps I'll build a DF comfort bike with
    it! Basically, take some nice hybrid frame that allows for rear
    suspension...such a shock would allow me to take it easy or ride "more
    athletically," depending on how I feel....

    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:

    > Well, surely there's *some* slight "pogo"...it's a shock, after all, it
    > can't be as rigid as a for-real hard-tail ride....

    A teensy bit, but as long as you're spinning at a high cadence
    rather than mashing it's incredibly good in that respect. If you
    have a chance to ride along behind and look at how the back wheel
    moves up and down over minor bumps but the rack stays /very/ still
    I think you'll be quite impressed.
    As well as the fairly sophisticated suspension design you've got
    the fact that you're pushing forwards rather than down, so there's
    less tendency to pogo than on an upwrong in the first place.

    Next point, unless it's particularly good pavement you'll lose the
    efficiency /gain/ from suspension. Any bump you go over with
    suspension menas that the only thing that has to move up is the
    wheel and unsprung bits of frame/fork. With it locked out,
    anything you go over requires the whole bike and the rider to be
    shifted up, which loses you a lot of energy. Probably more than
    any pogo effect will lose.

    Plus you've payed all that money for top of the line comfort and
    now you're throwing it away! Get a Bachetta if you want a no-fuss
    rigid tarmac burner.

    > Anyway, I was just curious. Perhaps I'll build a DF comfort bike with
    > it! Basically, take some nice hybrid frame that allows for rear
    > suspension...

    Very few such machines. Why not just get a Moulton or something
    like that, designed from the ground up to be fully suspended with
    the suspension optimised for the road.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Lyle Beaulac

    Lyle Beaulac Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Say, anyone know anything about this thingamajig?
    >
    > I was just about to adjust it WRT air pressure and damping. So I
    > released all the air. Now the thing won't pump back up!
    >
    > Unless I have a defective air shock pump, the shock itself must be
    > broken somehow!
    >
    > The mechanic who'd installed it at the shop said to put some WD-40 on
    > it, but no luck...if anything, it seems to be even worse off! By "it"
    > I mean that business end of the whole piston-looking contraption, that
    > part which goes in and out of the air chamber. After a bit of WD-40,
    > it hardly extends at all.
    >
    > Any ideas WTF is going on????
    >
    > I'm taking the unit to an LBS to see if they can figure it out, but in
    > the meantime, no ride!
    >
    > Worst of all, there's no manual for this particular model air shock
    > from DT Swiss, and their site is pretty but of no help.

    I think I had the same thing on my Grasshopper when I bought it. The
    shock would retract *hard* when I let the air out, like there was a
    strong spring forcing it shut. This was not how it was supposed to work!
    It took over 120 psi just to get the piston to start extending..
    I sent a few pictures to DT, who graciously sent me a replacement
    providing I returned the defective unit. I had asked them to email me
    when they found out what the problem was, but never heard from them. I
    had thought mine was an isolated incident, but now it sounds like there
    may be a more widespread problem.