DT Wheelsmith nipples interchangeable?

[email protected] wrote:
> that is can one use DT's on Wheelsmith spokes?

Yes. Gauge and thread pitch standards are the same for both
manufacturers.

[email protected] wrote:
> that is can one use DT's on Wheelsmith spokes?

Most/all spokes use the same thread for each gauge, including all the
premium makers like Wheelsmith, Sapim, and DT. The Bicycle Wheel says
that "nipples from the same manufacturer as the spokes are preferred."
I've always taken that to mean that there might be some subtle things a
maker might do to make their nipples and spokes work better together,
but I really have no idea what it's about. I've avoided building whole
wheels with mismatched spokes and nips for this reason, and tried to
only replace nipples on name spokes with that brand's nipples, but if I
don't have them I don't worry about it. Also, I'm pretty sure nipples
can have different threaded lengths, which could make a difference in
some situations.

i agree! but it's down to the LBS with the DT-maybe they have
Wheelsmith's on hand.
I tried switching and found the DT on Wheelsmoith spokes gave a loose
fit-but this was on 1980"s spokes.

Hi Gene
Are you sure the old spokes are 2.0mm & not 1.8MM?
Just a thought, John

John Drew writes:

> Are you sure the old spokes are 2.0mm & not 1.8mm?

You can be sure if they are 2mm spokes because only a 2mm x 56TPI
spoke nipple will fit. Because the thread pitch of 1.8mm spokes is
the same, the 2mm nipple will fit on them but will strip its threads
when the wheel is tightened. This has been done often enough that
most who familiar with one-off wheel building have seen it happen.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:

> that is can one use DT's on Wheelsmith spokes?

Yes. Modern spokes and nipples are all 56tpi.

(Assuming your spokes and nipples are all either 14g or all 15g)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

J. Brandt wrote:

>Because the thread pitch of 1.8mm spokes is
>the same, the 2mm nipple will fit ....

Hi Jobs

That is what I'm suggesting. He might have 1.8mm spokes & w/ 56tpi &
2.0mm nipples. I became aware of this possibility on page 49 of your
book, "Spoke Threads". I wish the spoke manufactures would take your
suggestion & make all 1.8mm spokes 0.40mm pitch. All the 1.8mm, I've
ever noticed were ~.44mm pitch.

Too bad, John