Dual 406 Stelvio, your experience?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kelly, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    I've been riding a 02 Tailwind lately and find it much faster than I expected it would be. It also
    is a great hill topper. This comes after owning numerous, so called faster, RANS bikes of much
    higher cost. I liked it so well that I thought about putting on a set of Stelvio's to maximize its
    speed potential.

    Anyone running dual 20 Stelvio's that can give me your experience, flats, speed verses Primo Comets?
    Would be much appreciated.

    Kelly

    Tags:

  2. Jim C

    Jim C Guest

    My wife and I both have a few thousand miles on the same stelvios. They seem as fast as primos and
    in our experience not as prone to flat or split if they get nicked.

    Will use them again.

    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been riding a 02 Tailwind lately and find it much faster than I expected it would be. It also
    > is a great hill topper. This comes after owning numerous, so called faster, RANS bikes of much
    > higher cost. I liked it so well that I thought about putting on a set of Stelvio's to maximize its
    > speed potential.
    >
    > Anyone running dual 20 Stelvio's that can give me your experience, flats, speed verses Primo
    > Comets? Would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Kelly

  3. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    [email protected] (Kelly) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've been riding a 02 Tailwind lately and find it much faster than I expected it would be. It also
    > is a great hill topper. This comes after owning numerous, so called faster, RANS bikes of much
    > higher cost. I liked it so well that I thought about putting on a set of Stelvio's to maximize its
    > speed potential.
    >
    > Anyone running dual 20 Stelvio's that can give me your experience, flats, speed verses Primo
    > Comets? Would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Kelly

    I am running 26/20 Stelvios on my Barcroft Virginia. I compare them to the Grand Prixs I rode on my
    V-Rex. I went to Stelvios because, while I liked the speed of the GPs I thought them to ride a
    little harsh (hard psi). But they are tough tires. I now have 1100 miles on the Stelvios and find
    them to be just as fast and a little softer riding. I think the softness in riding might contribute
    to my impression that the performance "feel" is just a little bit below the GPs. I think LegsLarry
    has posted test results that both tires are in the top 3 (with Primo Comets) for low rolling
    resistance. So either tire would make a good choice.

    Mike S. ST. Louis, Mo.

  4. Rocketman58

    Rocketman58 Guest

    Here are some thoughts about a Stelvio for the rear wheel of a Tailwind: Most of your weight is over
    the rear wheel of the Tailwind. The Stelvio is a narrow high pressure tire. You may end up with a
    harsher ride than you want. It offers little protection from pot-holes. And, it may not wear as long
    as you would like - the tread is not all that thick. All of this is even more likely if you are
    heavier, or taller (seat farther back and more weight over the rear wheel).

    On my Tailwind I replaced the worn Primo Comet with a Comp Pool. I kept the still little worn
    Comet on the front. On my Stratus, I decided to run the Stelvio on the front. The Stelvio was
    great on the front of the Stratus, and I would expect it to be a fantastic choice for the front of
    a Tailind as well.

    The Comp pool is a great choice for the rear of the Tailwind. As fast as any tire out there. Handles
    great. Improves the ride quality. Thicker tread last longer and is quite durrable. You can match it
    with a thinner tire up front such as the Stelvio. It makes a great setup, and it looks cool as well
    - sort of a top-fuel dragster look....