Dual Shifting?

vegan biker

Aug 31, 2011
Hi. Couldn't find what I was after with the search function, but I'm kind of new to all this and may have missed it. I'm wondering if it is possible to build up a road bike that is able to shift both from the aero bars as well as from the hoods / drops. Kind of a dual set up. I'm not going to dedicate the bike to strictly road or tri so I figure I'll be in and out of the aeros a lot. It would be nice to be able to shift from either position. Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance.

I have no issues shifting from the hoods and the drops with Shimano Tiagra and 105 shifters, Not sure what you are looking for but you should be able to achieve shifting from both positions using any brifters.

I have never seen a shifting system that could be set up for dual shifting locations. I believe that you are either going to have to pick one or devise a shifting mechanism yourself. I know that there are dual location brakes but that is just a pull and release type action that does not have to deal with indexing and is not as nearly dependent upon cable tension as shifting is.

Davereo - Thanks for the input. I currently ride a Cannondale CAAD8 and can easily shift as well as break from both the hoods and drops. What I was wondering is that when I build up my new bike, I'm also going to have aero bars. I would like to have 2 sets of shifters - one set on the end of the aero bars, and one set on the hoods. Two sets of cables that index the same deraileurs. That way if I'm in the aero position, I don't have to come out to shift, but if I'm on the hoods, I don't have to lean into the aeros to shift.

Kdelong - Thanks for the input as well. I'm kind of thinking the way you are. I've never seen it, so it either doesn't exist, it's too heavy and complicated, or it's too expensive (or expensive, complicated, AND heavy!). I guess I'm going to have to decide whether I'm a road guy that that plays in the aero bars, or if I'm a Tri / TT guy that rides up on the hoods from time to time. I'll have to pick a location and learn to be comfortable there.

Originally Posted by vegan biker .

Hi. Couldn't find what I was after with the search function, but I'm kind of new to all this and may have missed it. I'm wondering if it is possible to build up a road bike that is able to shift both from the aero bars as well as from the hoods / drops. Kind of a dual set up.
Dual indexed shift levers would be expensive and difficult to calibrate. With electronic shifting, on the other hand, I think it will be here sooner than we think.

Of course, not that Di2 isn't already too expensive for most of it. But adding another set of controls would only be an incremental change.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Dual indexed shift levers would be expensive and difficult to calibrate. With electronic shifting, on the other hand, I think it will be here sooner than we think.
Sooner than we think???? Mate, it's already here!

Dual shifting has been available for some time now with Di2 sattelite shifters. They can be had to suit riding on the tops, bullhorns and arobars, hoods and drops and can be operated concurrently with each other. Just check out Fabian Cancellara's TT bike or Cavendish's drop bar sprint shifter.

But yes, this is entirely electronic. An indexed mechanical system with sattelite shifters would be next to impossible.

That Di2 is EXACTLY what I'm after! But, WOW.....that would easily double the cost of my bike build. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Ooooh wait....Shimano makes an Ultegra version which looks like it is about half the price of the Dura-Ace Di2! That might be the ticket.

Thanks to all for the help.

Here I am living in the stone age. I completely forgot about Di2 technology, probably because I have always thought of it as components for those who have healthier bank accounts than mine. There you go Vegan Biker. Good call.

Yup, saw my first time trial bike with Di2 satellite shifters today. Slick.

Originally Posted by tafi .

Sooner than we think???? Mate, it's already here!